D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

pukunui

Legend
Why not? Everyone has to start somewhere. Draconians have been PCs in previous Dragonlance books, anyways.
Gnolls have also been playable in previous editions but are now strictly off-limits in 5e. I can see them saying no to playable draconians as well due to their origins (despite the sidebar in the PHB).

Weren’t dragonborn originally a “made” race as well? In 3e, they were humanoids who underwent a ritual created by Bahamut to transform, right? Hence the “born” in their name. I actually kind of prefer that to the true-breeding version we got starting in 4e. You could represent it through a lineage like the ones in VGR easily enough, too. (Same with the psionic Elan race.)

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Gnolls have been playable in previous editions as well but are now strictly off-limits in 5e. I can see them saying no to playable draconians as well.

Weren’t dragonborn originally a “made” race as well? In 3e, they were humanoids who underwent a ritual to transform, right?
Yeah, not sure if 4E ever provided a definitive origin story besides the ancient fallen empire bit.

Again, the 5E PHB addresses playable Draconians as Dragonborn directly. I see no reason to suspect that will change.

We are now about just about three months until the book is released. Does that leave them any time at all for any last-minute UAs for its material? I can't remember how close to release they have pushed UA before.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Gnolls have been playable in previous editions as well but are now strictly off-limits in 5e. I can see them saying no to playable draconians as well.

Weren’t dragonborn originally a “made” race as well? In 3e, they were humanoids who underwent a ritual to transform, right?

Yeah they are made, but I think it's said somewhere that chromatic dragon eggs, when made into draconians actually turn good (draconians always being the opposite of their egg).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We are now about just about three months until the book is released. Does that leave them any time at all for any last-minute UAs for its material? I can't remember how close to release they have pushed UA before.
The absolute latest was the Races of Ravnica on August 13th, 2018 for a November 20th release date. Crawford commented at the time that the survey feedback was going into the last minute edits before being sent to the printer. So, might be close for this book, but maybe something for Strixhaven?

pukunui

Legend
That's what weirds you out? Not the idea of a vertebrate with six limbs?
No, I can suspend my disbelief there. I’m just used to each of WotC’s dragons having a specific look, and this one blurs the lines enough that it stands out to me. (I’m a details person.)

Either the art dept gave the cover artist more creative licence than usual or it’s not an ordinary red dragon. It could be a blended red/copper dragon or a red dragon with a template of some kind.

I expect it’s the former but think it would be more fun if it was the latter.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I just hope that when DragonLance comes out they got rid of the steel monetary system. Sure, you can hand wave it, but when things take more steel to make then they cost to buy... it just annoys me to no end.
100% agreed. It was always beyond stupid. It was just a slap-dash rule put in place so that characters could be transferred from an existing Greyhawk or other campaign and their gold pieces could be hand-waived with a grin as not being worth anything on Krynn. That's it. That's literally the only reason it was a rule for the setting in Dec of 1984 /Jan of 1985.

There was no attempt to really work out how BAD an idea that iron as a store of value was and how plainly DUMB an idea that was. Even among DragonLance fans, the idea of steel pieces is admitted to be a dumb temporary rule that got out of hand. Some regard it as nevertheless something that is "inherent" to the Krynn setting - mainly because it was mentioned in a few of the novels and so it got treated as "canon". The few mentions of old "worthless golds treasuries" that appeared in the early modules were removed completely in the 3.5 versions of those modules, too.

Ignore the unreasonably nostalgic. Consign steel pieces to the dustbin of history. A concern that was a temporary one aimed at gamers in January of 1985 - and the role that g.p. played in 1st Ed Exp Points system should have no hold on us now.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads