• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

dave2008

Legend
Choice 3 is to move the setting forward and treat the past as the past, and simply treat those elements differently.
Actually, I think I am starting to like the 4th option: the Eberron model. Never advance the setting. Every time you introduce a setting it is the same year. And for this to work, I would set that date before any previous published material (even if by only a 1-10 years) and keep its cosmology intentionally vague. Give groups the most freedom to build there stories without invalidating any previous material they have.

dave2008

Legend
As it well deserves. Draco-Blastoise shall rule them all!
What is interesting is that the Adult Dragon turtle has higher AC and more HP than the Adult red dragon. However, the Ancient red dragon has one of the highest ACs and HPs in the game. HP has typically gone done, not up so I wonder if the Ancient dragon turtle will have more less than the red's 546

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Actually, I think I am starting to like the 4th option: the Eberron model. Never advance the setting. Every time you introduce a setting it is the same year. And for this to work, I would set that date before any previous published material (even if by only a 1-10 years) and keep its cosmology intentionally vague. Give groups the most freedom to build there stories without invalidating any previous material they have.
Well, the problem with that approach with Dragonlance, is that if you set things a decade before the War of the Lance, there's no clerics, paladins or druids. I strongly doubt that WotC would make one of it's main settings without a good chunk of the PHB.

OTOH, I ADORE this idea though. You no longer have meta-plots for settings! No more contradictory material or ret-cons. You simply dive deep into the setting right now, instead of glossing over a lot of the setting to make room for stuff that's happening later on.

Definitely like this approach to settings more than the "living world" approach.

dave2008

Legend
Well, the problem with that approach with Dragonlance, is that if you set things a decade before the War of the Lance, there's no clerics, paladins or druids. I strongly doubt that WotC would make one of it's main settings without a good chunk of the PHB.
Agreed, but that could make for an interesting setting!

hopeless

Adventurer
I've been thinking about that plot from the original run.
What if what actually happened is that the gods were sealed away from the mortal realm forced to rely on their worshippers faith and the few remaining cleric's, paladins, etc to serve as their "face" as that catastrophe caused when the King priest thinking to insure only his faith has dominance on this world makes use of a wish that backfires spectacularly?
Basically stripping all divine casters of their powers and abilities within this world requiring a major quest to discover a way to restore those abilities.
The followers of Tiamat actually succeeded first by creating a host body for their goddess to possess thus bypassing the divine gates.
That host body only lasts for a short time, but the devastation she creates lasts for generations allowing her worshippers to get a head start on building her empire.
Purists might want to run that series of adventures as written, but I'm more inclined to wonder what if?
Would that work?

Dire Bare

Legend
Choice 3 is to move the setting forward and treat the past as the past, and simply treat those elements differently.
If you are going to simply "write better kender" without changing the problematic nature of kender in the setting . . . no thanks. If you're going to reimagine kender to prune away the problematic elements, then when you set the game doesn't matter, at least not in that regard.

I think presenting a fantasy setting "in the future", after all of the events in the existing canon have had time to slip into the past is a fine way to go . . . depending on the setting. I'm not sure of Dragonlance though . . . so many bad stories in the canon after Chronicles and Legends, some good ones too, but soooo many bad. I also worry about settings that have eras separated by long stretches of time, yet, despite all the upheavals and cataclysms, not much has really changed. D&D settings are bad with this.

hopeless

Adventurer
So instead of kleptomaniac adrenalin junkies how about they're inveterate scholars dedicated their lives to gathering stories, legends and tales from around Krynn in an effort to restore the long lost libraries destroyed in the cataclysm?

So there's an actual purpose for them instead of a racial ads problem?

Would that work?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads