The official EN World puppy/doggo thread

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A few weeks ago, I bought a taller step-lid trashcan for my bathroom because C. Merle had been browsing in the little one that had been in there. Up until yesterday, I thought I had won the war, because she hadn’t gotten anything out of there since.

Seems it was only a lull...

I found she had retrieved the packaging from a toothbrush, the last thing placed in the can. I’m thinking that it was the only thing she grabbed because it was the only thing she could reach. Still, +1pt, Border Collie, for those keeping score.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When Hudson met Santa.

80587618_10157953218068707_1537133258678992896_n.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You will not out-think a border collie. You may find a way to beat them by using your thumbs, but that's about the best you can do.
Like any inmate, they have nothing but all the time in the world to contemplate their problems to come up with solutions,

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hudson was supposed to be a collie/retriever. He’s not. He’s a border collie. And a genius.

He has figured out how door handles work. At first he could only push them open, but now he’s figured out how to pull doors open. We literally have to lock doors around the house now. I expect to see him with a lockpick and time now.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One of our previous BCs figured out doors...but because we had knobs not levers, she never got enough of a grip on one to open it.

She had even figured out that you needed to turn the key in the front door, but again, couldn’t quite get the necessary grip to turn it.

The rest? All figured out pushing and pulling doors that weren’t fully closed. Handy when they’re chasing an errant toy or ice cube. Not so good if someone runs in the bathroom and merely pulls the door mostly closed. (Mom is the most commonly caught...)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
J. Merle got out of the yard tonight. We hadn’t realized when we let her into the yard that we had left the car gate wide open.

Fortunately, she’s been on enough walks that she knows her neighborhood, so when Dad & I went out into the winter night with flashlights, we found her quickly enough. Wherever she had roamed, she was standing on our front porch.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Hudson was supposed to be a collie/retriever. He’s not. He’s a border collie. And a genius.

He has figured out how door handles work. At first he could only push them open, but now he’s figured out how to pull doors open. We literally have to lock doors around the house now. I expect to see him with a lockpick and time now.

That's your problem. Handles.

Need to use knobs, but I know they aren't in fashion and anybody with limited motor control or grip can't use them.

Next solution: no more doors. Problem solved, the dog can't open door if they don't exist.

Remove ads