• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The One Ring - Cubicle 7

Wightbred

Explorer
In what way re: D&D? Do you mean the encounters are different?

I mean the whole rules system is fundamentally different. Here's a quick list of differences that I see, and like, because they help it match Middle Earth better:
- No levels. Instead you advance by improving skills and gaining virtues and rewards.
- There are classes, but they are much less important. Your Culture is much more important.
- Endurance (similar to Hit Points) are intimately linked to Fatigue (Encumbarance). Your carried Armour and Weapons set the base fatigue levels.
- Your Endurance (HP) almost never go up, even as you get better.
- Your Parry (AC) almost never goes up, even as you get better.
- No alignment, but you can turn to a unique "dark side" / Shadow like Dragon Sickness (greed).
- Apart from Weapons and Armour gear and treasure is really abstract. Even for Weapons there is no price list or even a separate line item for arrows or a place to keep track of them.
- You expect to do only a handful of adventures each year.
- There are no "powers" or "spell" lists (apart from the handful of Cultural virtues and rewards) but choosing Stance makes combat tactical, but in a very different way.
- There is no mechanism to determine how many monsters will be a "balanced" fight for the party. I particularly like this, although I can see how it could drive some GMs crazy.
- You have a Hope score, which works like Fate in other game, and is linked to your Shadow score which is a type of madness / sanity measure.

There are some similarities, like that if you rest after combat ypu get Endurance (HP) back, but these are more the exceptions that prove the rule.

I can tell you are super excited, which is awesome. :) But you may find it hard to engage others with rules suggestions until you can get a copy to read through.

Last edited:

Matchstick

Adventurer
I mean the whole rules system is fundamentally different. Here's a quick list of differences that I see, and like, because they help it match Middle Earth better:
- No levels. Instead you advance by improving skills and gaining virtues and rewards.
- There are classes, but they are much less important. Your Culture is much more important.
- Endurance (similar to Hit Points) are intimately linked to Fatigue (Encumbarance). Your carried Armour and Weapons set the base fatigue levels.
- Your Endurance (HP) almost never go up, even as you get better.
- Your Parry (AC) almost never goes up, even as you get better.
- No alignment, but you can turn to a unique "dark side" / Shadow like Dragon Sickness (greed).
- Apart from Weapons and Armour gear and treasure is really abstract. Even for Weapons there is no price list or even a separate line item for arrows or a place to keep track of them.
- You expect to do only a handful of adventures each year.
- There are no "powers" or "spell" lists (apart from the handful of Cultural virtues and rewards) but choosing Stance makes combat tactical, but in a very different way.
- There is no mechanism to determine how many monsters will be a "balanced" fight for the party. I particularly like this, although I can see how it could drive some GMs crazy.
- You have a Hope score, which works like Fate in other game, and is linked to your Shadow score which is a type of madness / sanity measure.

There are some similarities, like that if you rest after combat ypu get Endurance (HP) back, but these are more the exceptions that prove the rule.

I can tell you are super excited, which is awesome. :) But you may find it hard to engage others with rules suggestions until you can get a copy to read through.

That list inspires me to play!

johnmarron

Explorer
I don't know if it will be of interest, but I just started a One Ring campaign last week, and posted an Actual Play thread about it on RPGNet here. Its light on mechanical discussion, but I'm happy to answer any questions. Second session (and first combat) is tonight.

fireinthedust

Explorer
neat!

I'm in a pbp game now where the GM is helping us with rules. We're starting at Lake Town, it turns out, so it'll be interesting to see how the game progresses. Really gung-ho group, too, so I'm excited to join in.

I wonder if any game can avoid certain D&Disms, like hacking up monsters and taking their stuff as a matter of course. Not that this is a bad thing, or Un-Tolkien of a group, which it wouldn't be; note how they found Glamdrig or Orcrist! But finding people with question marks above their heads and collecting thirty rabbit uvulas before we can have a pair of Mighty-Flaming-burst underwear is something i'm sure I would fall back on as GM, in a pinch. Heh.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Johnmarron, that's a fantastic Actual Play. I really like how you add the rules comments in, it gives a great idea of how the whole package works together. Very cool!

IronWolf, those are great screens! I really like how they did the physical books, they're very well presented and the art is fantastic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads