• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The One Ring - Cubicle 7

gweinel

Explorer
There is a time since the last post but i have a question.

How can compare it with Ice Crown's Merp. Seeing for for a 2nd time the Hobbit today sparked to me a wave of nostalgia of my first rpg which was MEPR. I was thinking to start a middle earth campaign and wondering which system to follow. Really it bugs me off the timeline since i wanted to start around the first milenia of third age...

Jhaelen

First Post
How can compare it with Ice Crown's Merp.
Well, since it's the RPG you started with, you probably have fonder memories about it than I do. Personally, I disliked MERP a lot because of its underlying system. The stunted version of Rolemaster that was used didn't work for me at all. I felt the rule-heavy system to be better suited for something like Warhammer 40k with its ridiculous critical hit charts.
The One Ring, however, is a system specifically tailored to tell the kind of stories we know from the novels. It's focused around character development and journeys (or quests). It's a rule-light system but combat is sufficiently dangerous that you'd prefer to avoid it if possible, particularly against nasty foes like trolls...

So, imho, it's not even a contest. The One Ring wins hands down.

Bluenose

Adventurer
To add to what [MENTION=46713]Jhaelen[/MENTION] says, The One Ring is written specifically for Middle Earth. Things that are significant in the sources include travel, meeting new people, and being/becoming part of a group. Accordingly, The One Ring devotes a lot of rules attention to those things. It's the most "Tolkein" game I've played.

gweinel

Explorer
Thank you very much for your replies. Your answers are really helpful.
Is it easy to convert/make new npc/monsters with the rules of The One Ring? I would like to know i can take advantage the great detail and richness of information that the merp sourcebooks have.

Remove ads