D&D General The Owlbear Druid: How Would You Do It? (A Poll)

The Owlbear Druid: How Would You Do It?

• I wouldn't. It's against the rules, full stop.

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • I'd change the druid's Wild Shape ability to allow owlbears.

• I'd change the druid's Wild Shape ability to allow all Beasts.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I'd change the druid's Circle of the Moon subclass to allow owlbears.

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • I'd change the druid's Circle of the Moon subclass to allow all Beasts.

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I'd create a whole new druid circle just for owlbears (Circle of the Owlbear)

• I'd create a whole new druid circle for all Monstrosities (Circle of Monsters)

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I'd change the owlbear's creature type to Beast.

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • I'd do something else (see my comment)

Votes: 23 16.5%

As a few others have posted, I'd allow it by just using bear stats.

For fun ... 'cause I just watched the Disney movie Red ... a druid with a magical curse/disease/lineage who can only become an owlbear, and does it anytime they become stressed and fail a Will save. Comedy ensues.

By that logic do you also include hippogriffs as beasts? They are even more stupid that owlbears (INT 3 vs INT 2), are just a mixture of two beasts: eagle and horse (similar to the mixture of owl and bear). Pretty underwhelming as a monstrosity, right?
I think the fact that it would be by far the largest flying creature on earth makes the hippogriff a touch different than a creature which, functionally is just a bear.

I have no idea what INT scores have to do with anything here, though I am reminded by that tangent that this edition did allow in bizarrely intelligent flying cats in as "beasts". An owlbear certainly feels more mundane than a tressym.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think the fact that it would be by far the largest flying creature on earth makes the hippogriff a touch different than a creature which, functionally is just a bear.

I have no idea what INT scores have to do with anything here, though I am reminded by that tangent that this edition did allow in bizarrely intelligent flying cats in as "beasts". An owlbear certainly feels more mundane than a tressym.
In the past int3 was the divider between beast & other stuff iirc. I forget the specifics

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So, in a world of magic size is the limiting factor? And, this isn't "earth", is it?

Owlbear = owl + bear
Hippogriff = eagle + horse

Functionally, the hippogriff is just a giant eagle, but weaker in many ways, despite the same CR.

The hippogriff is:
  • Less dexterous
  • Less intelligent
  • Less wise
  • Less charismatic
  • Lower AC
  • Less HP
  • Slower flight
  • Doesn't understand any languages

While better at:
  • Slightly stronger (same modifier, though)
  • Walking speed
  • Perception (hippogriff has expertise, apparently)
  • Better peak damage

1658538679177.png
1658538694042.png

Yet the giant eagle is a beast which a druid can wild shape into, nearly better than the hippogriff in all ways, but you don't want to allow hippogriffs? Interesting.

that is just a dumb animal with no special abilities
I brought up INT scores because as a qualifier you said the owl bear as just a dumb animal. The monstrosities I cited are even less intelligent so would seem to meet that qualifier, certainly.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Remember wen 3x make dinosaurs Beasts just to hose druids?
No. They are animals in 3e. I remember when 3e gave me a druid prestige class to allow me to turn into giants, humanoids, monstrous humanoids, fey, vermin, aberrations, plants, oozes, elementals and dragons. Pretty sure Owlbear was covered in there somewhere. :p

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The downside to changing Owlbears into beast is that it takes something special away from the Owlbear.

The upside to giving druids a Circle of Monsters is that they can also change into the new Cranium Rat, or Displacer Beasts.

But the real answer is they are highly likely to just use Generic Stat Blocks (à la Tasha's Pets) for the Druid Wildshape going forward. In which case, the Owlbear is merely an aesthetic choice. Which is fine, because honestly aesthetics are the main draw of the Owlbear to begin with. It's not like they can fly or get special powers like echolocation.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'd let them play an owlbear with the stats of a polar bear. Which...is pretty close to an owl bears stats.

Remove ads