D&D General The Owlbear Druid: How Would You Do It? (A Poll)

The Owlbear Druid: How Would You Do It?

• I wouldn't. It's against the rules, full stop.

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • I'd change the druid's Wild Shape ability to allow owlbears.

• I'd change the druid's Wild Shape ability to allow all Beasts.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I'd change the druid's Circle of the Moon subclass to allow owlbears.

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • I'd change the druid's Circle of the Moon subclass to allow all Beasts.

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I'd create a whole new druid circle just for owlbears (Circle of the Owlbear)

• I'd create a whole new druid circle for all Monstrosities (Circle of Monsters)

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I'd change the owlbear's creature type to Beast.

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • I'd do something else (see my comment)

Votes: 23 16.5%

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm fine with Owlbears being beasts in the next MM
I'm fine with Owlbears being monstrosities (as in having a magical origin) and DMs allowing Druids to wildshape into them as they see fit
I'm partial to a Circle of Monsters subclass that specifically allows this - Just because it seems like such a fun design space for a circle

I'm absolutely unconcerned about why the Druid in the movie can do it, cause it was way too enjoyable to watch (almost as much as watching the Barbarian chuck armored soldiers around like rag-dolls... maybe more, I can't decide which moment I like better).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I've long allowed druids to wear metal & wildshape into most true breeding beastlike creatures (owlbear/hellhound/blinkdog/winterwolf/etc). Basilisk & cockatrice has never come up so I haven't had to consider them. The vast majority of the beast-like not-beasts are pretty poor choices for wildshape unless the party needs that beast's gimmick like a winterwolf making an ice bridge/elementals/etc.

edit: I say "most" just to leave an out where I can look at something & say no if it seems crazy

I can think of at least two ways to pull it off legally in 3.5e. I'm pretty sure there are a couple more that I'd be able to figure out with more research.

I thought you could only polymorph into beast with polymorph, not monstrosities.
That's correct - wildshape lets you turn into a beast you've seen before, polymorph lets you turn into a beast of HD equal or less to your class level, but doesn't have the '...that you've seen' restriction.

edit: I should add, at least in 5e and most versions of the game that I've played; note that I haven't played every edition. From the 3e PHB:
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 5.33.40 PM.png

From the 2e PHB:
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 5.36.00 PM.png

...that being said, I'll admit that it was a cool moment in the trailer.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I thought you could only polymorph into beast with polymorph, not monstrosities.

By the time you get polymorph, you can already take the form of a CR 7 Giant Ape, and are one level away from being a CR 8 Tyrannosaurus Rex.

It would seem to me that the absolute smallest rule change available to us to allow it would be to allow Polymorph to handle a CR 3 owlbear.

Remove ads