D&D 5E The Paladin excerpt

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Cool. I see symbols of Helm, 4e Corellon, and Lathander.

Interestingly, the text mentions Torm (Helm's 4e replacement), not Helm--but the symbol on the shield is surely not Torm's, since Torm's is specifically a right hand with palm forward (so the thumb would be on the viewer's right). It might not he Helm's, though, since there's no eye (though the gold spiral certainly implies it).

Unless they flipped the artwork for some reason.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A half orc representation of the paladin? Interesting. I don't mind a bit. Although it looks more like a half bugbear than a half orc.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Morrus_2014-Jul-29.jpg

Excerpt_PHB_1_20140729.jpg

For those who can't go through the link.

Thaumaturge.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm digging the backgrounds on these things. The spoooky vibe of the warlock, the bustling town of the bard, the coast-at-sunset here with the paladin. I mean, I don't know what that dude's screaming about, but that place he's standing in front of looks cool to go visit! :)

Xodis

First Post
Are we sure that Paladins dont have to be Lawful in this edition? The entire intro to them, Oaths, and their whole vibe from this teaser says Lawful Good. Looking for facts, not to rehash the whole Paladin discussion from earlier.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Are we sure that Paladins dont have to be Lawful in this edition? The entire intro to them, Oaths, and their whole vibe from this teaser says Lawful Good. Looking for facts, not to rehash the whole Paladin discussion from earlier.

From the last paragraph before "Quick Build", we see that paladins are "rarely evil" and that their alignments "might be in harmony" with their oaths or might not. It seems there are not alignment restrictions, but there are alignment guidelines.

Thaumaturge.

Patrick McGill

First Post
I actually REALLY love the idea of role playing a Paladin whose alignment doesn't quite match his/her oath. One that is trying to walk a good, holy path but it's a very hard road for him/her. It's not something I thought of before this preview.

So far these excerpts have filled me with ideas for character. Dang I need that PHB in hand.

Remove ads