D&D 5E The Paladin excerpt

pemerton

Legend
But you seem to be a dedicated 4th Ed fan, so what you want, and other such as yourself, is not often in line with 5th Ed.
Well, on this occasion 5th ed does have an avenger option - so it seems to be those who are saying the option is stupid (I'm not sure if you're one of them or not) who are not in line with 5th ed.

Chaltab

Explorer
Wait so the Paladin can cast spells in DDN? That seems a bit... off? Like I know Paladins have always had divine powers like Lay On Hands, but I generally don't think of what they do as spells. Divine magic was specifically refered to as "Prayers" in 4th Edition, and IIRC in 3.X their abilities were simply called Class Features.

That seems more fitting with the lore. "Casting" implies arcane knowledge, logic woven and then released. Not Divine energy coursing through you. Plus frankly I just find it kind of boring for so many classes to have 'spells per day'. It's like the AEDU problem all over again, but with worse formatting.

Last edited:

Wait so the Paladin can cast spells in DDN? That seems a bit... off? Like I know Paladins have always had divine powers like Lay On Hands, but I generally don't think of what they do as spells. Divine magic was specifically refered to as "Prayers" in 4th Edition, weren't they? That seems more fitting with the lore. "Casting" implies arcane knowledge, not Divine energy coursing through you.

With the exception of 4e--which, as you said, has prayers--paladins (and rangers) have been spellcasters in every edition of D&D in which they've appeared. "Casting" refers to both arcane and divine spells.

Chaltab

Explorer
With the exception of 4e--which, as you said, has prayers--paladins (and rangers) have been spellcasters in every edition of D&D in which they've appeared. "Casting" refers to both arcane and divine spells.
Heh... okay then! I've not played 3.X since 2009 or maybe early 2010, I believe. I still think it's odd that they'd revert back to having so many classes with spell lists though after 'everyone has spells' was such a complaint in 4th Edition.

(Just to be clear, I'm not saying I agree with that complaint at all since I think it relies on some rather uncharitable interpretations of what a 'Fighter Exploit' or a 'Cleric Prayer' means. My problem with spell lists tends to just be more logistical--a classes' stats and its abilities are collected in two different parts of the book making character creation more of a hassle than it should be. I had the same problem with the way Feats and magic items are handled in 4E and really hope WOTC keeps the Builder up for it because eff doing it by hand.)

mrv3rtig0

First Post
Another thing to remember about the paladin's spells is that they get smite options via spells. In the playtest I kept a few concentration spells, a utility, and then the rest were smite options.

Remove ads