D&D 5E The Printers Can't Handle WotC's One D&D Print Runs!

"Our print runs are pretty darn big" says Jeremy Crawford

15692108293125663812.jpeg

One of the reasons why the three new core rulebooks next year will not be released together is because D&D is such a juggernaut that the printers can't actually handle the size of the print runs!

Jeremy Crawford told Polygon "Our print runs are pretty darn big and printers are telling us you can’t give us these three books at the same time.” And Chris Perkins added that "The print runs we’re talking about are massive. That’s been not only true of the core books, but also Tasha’s Cauldron. It’s what we call a high-end problem."

Reef

Hero
This is an argument against expressing negative feelings about anything, taken to a personal degree. It is not appreciated.
No, I was trying to understand what you were getting out of it. You are welcome to negative feelings! But it's the constant need to remind us all of your negative feelings (and how you are not participating in this version) in every single thread that's a little perplexing. Your explanation is that it's the only discussion available to you. And I thought that sounded fairly unsatisfying (if I was in your shoes). To me, it's the whole "no gaming is better than bad gaming"...ie. no conversation would be better than a constant barrage of 'No!'.

But if that's the conversation you are enjoying, take what you can get, I suppose.

mamba

Legend
It is different. WotC is, by far, the biggest player in the RPG industry. Activity anywhere else pales in comparison and you know it. Ignoring it means ignoring the vast majority of RPG conversation, and certainly most of the more active ones.
works for me, you do not see me complaining about Spelljammer or whatever product of theirs I do not like

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, I was trying to understand what you were getting out of it. You are welcome to negative feelings! But it's the constant need to remind us all of your negative feelings (and how you are not participating in this version) in every single thread that's a little perplexing. Your explanation is that it's the only discussion available to you. And I thought that sounded fairly unsatisfying (if I was in your shoes). To me, it's the whole "no gaming is better than bad gaming"...ie. no conversation would be better than a constant barrage of 'No!'.

But if that's the conversation you are enjoying, take what you can get, I suppose.
It's not as satisfying as I'd like, certainly. This is why I participate in as many conversations as I can, not all of them about WotC. Of course, emotionally the changes WotC has made to the game in recent years also really irritate me, and getting that out is satisfying to a degree.

Oofta

Legend
It is different. WotC is, by far, the biggest player in the RPG industry. Activity anywhere else pales in comparison and you know it. Ignoring it means ignoring the vast majority of RPG conversation, and certainly most of the more active ones.

And I was a WotC customer since they bought D&D, over twenty years at this point, and of TSR for nearly 20 years before that. Like I said, hard to ignore.

I grew up on a farm and to me, pickup trucks will always be something you have to drive because you need to haul stuff and go out into fields on a regular basis. Yet, for some reason, they're the most popular vehicle in the U.S. along with SUVs that are solely used to commute to work and go to the mall. But I don't go onto truck forums and talk about how they're overpriced, get terrible gas mileage and relatively poor handling. My brother-in-law loves his monster truck dual cab and ... it's okay. It's not my vehicle so when he gets all excited about an excuse to actually haul something (instead of, oh, renting a truck or trailer for the once-in-a-few-years you actually need it) I don't say anything. The car companies sure like it, they make far more money selling trucks than they do cars.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean you have to go on forums dedicated to a product you dislike and constantly remind people that it's not for you.

Micah Sweet

I grew up on a farm and to me, pickup trucks will always be something you have to drive because you need to haul stuff and go out into fields on a regular basis. Yet, for some reason, they're the most popular vehicle in the U.S. along with SUVs that are solely used to commute to work and go to the mall. But I don't go onto truck forums and talk about how they're overpriced, get terrible gas mileage and relatively poor handling. My brother-in-law loves his monster truck dual cab and ... it's okay. It's not my vehicle so when he gets all excited about an excuse to actually haul something (instead of, oh, renting a truck or trailer for the once-in-a-few-years you actually need it) I don't say anything. The car companies sure like it, they make far more money selling trucks than they do cars.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean you have to go on forums dedicated to a product you dislike and constantly remind people that it's not for you.
To use your analogy, this isn't a pick-up truck forum, it's an automotive industry forum where most people are deeply concerned about pick-up trucks and discussion of other sorts of vehicles, or even other sorts of trucks, is far less robust. As a fan of the industry who has fallen out of love for the new pick-ups most everyone is talking about, what am I to do?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yep. I can remember running a hybrid 1e/2e game while waiting for the rest of the core books to drop.

I'm sure the OneD&D PHB will be the first release, but it'd be funny if they started with the Monster Manual, just like 1e did, for the 50-year anniversary.
Based on it not being treated as a new edition, that would actually make a lot of sense. It would also be easier to find a use for in a 5e-2014-version game. Despite the changes to how they are handling monster stat blocks, I can certainly use the new MM with my older PHP and DMG. Also, even those who might not be interested in buying a new PHP and DMG may still buy the new MM to use with the old PHP and DMG. Then WotC could show bigger numbers for early adoption of OneDnD.

Micah Sweet

Based on it not being treated as a new edition, that would actually make a lot of sense. It would also be easier to find a use for in a 5e-2014-version game. Despite the changes to how they are handling monster stat blocks, I can certainly use the new MM with my older PHP and DMG. Also, even those who might not be interested in buying a new PHP and DMG may still buy the new MM to use with the old PHP and DMG. Then WotC could show bigger numbers for early adoption of OneDnD.
Yup. Optics is definitely a factor here.

Oofta

Legend
To use your analogy, this isn't a pick-up truck forum, it's an automotive industry forum where most people are deeply concerned about pick-up trucks and discussion of other sorts of vehicles, or even other sorts of trucks, is far less robust. As a fan of the industry who has fallen out of love for the new pick-ups most everyone is talking about, what am I to do?
Go to the forums dedicated to older games? Like the one right over here: https://www.enworld.org/forums/d-d-older-editions.701/

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The same people who have had dozens of publishers they backed on Kickstarter explain that there are printing issues due to lack of paper, printer closures and similar stumbling blocks are now insisting that WotC is lying about having the same problems they have experienced for three years.

Remove ads

Remove ads