D&D General The Problem with Evil or what if we don't use alignments?

Faolyn

(she/her)
As for CE orcs, this is another confusing one. In the 2e Monstrous Manual they are LE, in 3.X they are CE. What changed? Did the orcs somehow undergo a revolution? Was there a resorting? Did the nature of alignment somehow change without this being drawn attention to? Or was it that alignment was such a bad description that one of the major NPC races was put in the wrong category and this was quietly corrected? None of these say good things about alignment.
Possibly the rational was that they were changed to CE to explain why there are no great orc nations--as if it's impossible to have a large chaotic nation. (I saw a post somewhere that described the U.S. as having a Chaotic alignment: each individual state and sometimes county has their own laws, which may or may not be the same as another state or county's laws, the leaders are elected in popularity contests based on how charismatic they are, and there are lots of laws that are, deliberately or accidentally, slanted to benefit one group over another.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That there are far far better ways you could use two words to be inspiring than just two single words from two lists of three.

Mod Note:

"I think there are better things," is a good enough statement for yourself, but it is not sufficient support for how aggressive you are being here. If you cannot conscience people liking to use something you don't find valuable, you're not in a mindset for discussion.

The two of you just hammering away at each other is not constructive. Cool it, or it will be cooled for you.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Considering that the main cited reason for having alignment is the easy and quick assessment of the enemy's nature, and a large section of potential enemies are humanoids, I would assume people who find alignment useful would oppose this.
The main cited reason that I've seen here is for the DM to use for NPCs that he doesn't have time to detail out.
Also removal of blanket alignment should apply to most intelligent biological creatures regardless of whether they're technically humanoid in D&D terms. Giants are just large people after all. And I don't really feel comfortable with classifying dragons into good and evil based on their skin colour either.
Then don't use it. Remove it from your game. It takes all of a fraction of a second to do.

Do you mean for the race as a whole or as a descriptor for the individuals? If the former, I assume someone in this thread must have come out against it and I missed it?
I think Maxperson seems to be against it.
Personally it annoys me a lot less than having a single type of default weapon.
Again the 4e statblocks were vastly superior.
Isn't take over LE and burn CE?
Using 4e definitions, yes. Using nine point alignment I don't know.

The most lawful people are dead ones - after all they don't move around. It's not hard to imagine necromancers, Modrons, or the like who are both emphatically lawful and are trying to burn the world.

Likewise chaos. It's perfectly possible under nine point alignment to imagine people who believe that Might Makes Right and Darwin Should Decide who want to smash all structures and do what they want. But they want this because they believe they are the strongest and they will get to control when they are done.
So, if we came up with a more detailed set of 25 (say).descriptors to give more nuance but not require folks to memorize too many definitions or have to parse too many near synonyms?
Chunk it into three or four axes of about five things. For example
  • In-group size (Myself, "My team, My Clan, My race, My country, the world)
  • Outsiders should be (Killed, shown their place, ignored, welcomed)
  • Code of Honour (Applies to everyone, don't be a sucker, only applies to team, Skin deep)
That tells me far more about the characters than nine point alignment

hopeless

Adventurer
Faerun I believe made an attempt to correct that at one point up near the Icewind Dales I believe.
Then of course Eberron.
I'm more curious about explaining their true history.
Tolkien, well the movie trilogy explained them as having been formerly elves tortured into their current state.
I'm more inclined to go with them being formerly human who descended into savagery and surviving the collapse of their civilisation and whatever catastrophe that brought them down has caused them to evolve into their current state with the other races having some link with each other.
Dragons being responsible for the Dragonborn and Kobolds.

However need I remind you that Genghis Khan came closest to conquering most of the planet?

Just because they're chaotic doesn't mean they can't form nations or empires, etc...

The main cited reason that I've seen here is for the DM to use for NPCs that he doesn't have time to detail out.
Which seems bizarre to me. Like if this is some named NPC then where did the statblock come from? If they're a part of the adventure then certainly the GM must have some idea of their place in it anyway, and must have a far better idea of their nature than the alignment could provide. And if it is just for the ease of running things straight from MM, then certainly having alignment removed from all humanoids would be kinda big deal as a large section of monsters are humanoids?

Then don't use it. Remove it from your game. It takes all of a fraction of a second to do.
Sure. I have removed it. I'd still would prefer WotC to get rid of this antiquated and offensive mechanic. It's not a big deal for me, as I don't put D&D on a pedestal and assume it to be perfect, but as it is overwhelmingly the most popular and influential RPG it would be preferable if it wouldn't contain such awful stuff.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
One of the many good things Eberron did was treated the alignment system with all the respect it deserved by subverting it.
Of course, back in 3x, they use the "often" and "usually" and "always" tags for alignments, which I really wish they had kept for 5e. I think it's a lot easier for some people to subvert an alignment is if the rules outright state that it's not absolute. If you just have the alignment without some tag saying how common it is, then I think people treat each instance of a creature not sharing that alignment as some sort of Great and Notable Exception instead of, hey, here's a creature that's a bit different.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What I would like to see is 3e's monster alignment system to be used. Orcs were not CE in 3e. They were OFTEN CE. That "often" meant something. It meant that 40-50% of orcs were of that alignment. That's it. Up to half of them. People want to portray 3e orcs as the entire race being CE, but those that do so are incorrect.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

@Maxperson Where are you at on removing alignment just from the MM entries for humanoids (but not from them in individual encounters or individual NPCs)?

Chunk it into three or four axes of about five things. For example
  • In-group size (Myself, "My team, My Clan, My race, My country, the world)
  • Outsiders should be (Killed, shown their place, ignored, welcomed)
  • Code of Honour (Applies to everyone, don't be a sucker, only applies to team, Skin deep)
That tells me far more about the characters than nine point alignment

You're supposed to save the good, but unfinished, ideas for the weeks I don't have a lot of other work I'm behind on!!!!

Oofta

Legend
WotC corrected the instruction manual back in 2008. If you look at the 4e stat blocks monsters are not actually classified by alignment - and the alignments have been cut down to five making a clear separation between evil (want to control and hurt) and chaotic evil (want to watch the world burn).

Unfortunately the anti-4e whaaaargabl ensured that anything 4eish had to be disguised and obvious changes had to be destroyed even if 5e is closer to a rules lite version of 4e than it is to any other edition
I disliked 4Es alignment. Law vs chaos is different than good vs evil. Chaotic does not mean evil or destructive.

I thought it was a good move to split it up way back when. I still do.

Remove ads