• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The prophesy of the Child [Recruiting till 26-01-07]

Voidrazor

First Post
Druidic Wildshape does have the problem with items melding into the new form. The trick is to take off the relevant items before changing. It doesn't work well if you change forms often, but if you have one form that you use most of the time you're golden. If have money and can buy magic items I'd invest in Wild dragonscale full plate. Wear it when you Wildshape and the armor meld into the new form, getting rid of the non-proficiency penalty but still providing the armor bonus due to the Wild enchantment. The DM may nix such strategies, of course, but they are perfectly legal.

Nephtys

First Post
I finished my character quite a while ago, but now when I go back to look at him again I find myself questioning some of my choices. The Marshal has a class ability called Minor Aura that grants his charisma bonus as a bonus on certain rolls to him and his allies, at my level I have 6 such auras. One of them grants a bonus to damage rolls during a charge (and another the same bonus when flanking) and that's what I'm asking for your power-gaming advice about.
How often do you Charge at this level? Isn't it in most cases just as good a choice to move into position and flank during your first round (and then get the bonus for all of your attacks in the full round), or use my Dexterity Check aura to get unbeatable Initiative? Isn't my Charge Aura a bit redundant? Should I replace it with an aura that gives a bonus to Intelligence Checks (giving us near unlimited Knowlege) or bonuses to specific saving throws (not my favorite, btw) or something else? Please share your wisdom.

Minor Aura: A minor aura lets allies add the marshal's Charisma bonus (if any) to certain rolls.

Accurate Strike: Bonus on rolls made to confirm critical hits.
*Art of War: Bonus on disarm, trip, bull rush, and sunder attempts.
Demand Fortitude: Bonus on Fortitude saves.
*Determined Caster: Bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance.
Force of Will: Bonus on Will saves.
Master of Opportunity: Bonus to Armor Class against attacks of opportunity.
*Master of Tactics: Bonus on damage rolls when flanking.
*Motivate Charisma: Bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks.
Motivate Constitution: Bonus on Constitution checks and Constitution-based skill checks.
*Motivate Dexterity: Bonus on Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks, and initiative checks.
Motivate Intelligence: Bonus on Intelligence checks and Intelligence-based skill checks.
Motivate Strength: Bonus on Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks.
Motivate Wisdom: Bonus on Wisdom checks and Wisdom-based skill checks.
*Over the Top: Bonus on damage rolls when charging.
Watchful Eye: Bonus on Reflex saves.

*chosen auras.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Nephtys said:
I finished my character quite a while ago, but now when I go back to look at him again I find myself questioning some of my choices. The Marshal has a class ability called Minor Aura that grants his charisma bonus as a bonus on certain rolls to him and his allies, at my level I have 6 such auras. One of them grants a bonus to damage rolls during a charge (and another the same bonus when flanking) and that's what I'm asking for your power-gaming advice about.
How often do you Charge at this level? Isn't it in most cases just as good a choice to move into position and flank during your first round (and then get the bonus for all of your attacks in the full round), or use my Dexterity Check aura to get unbeatable Initiative? Isn't my Charge Aura a bit redundant? Should I replace it with an aura that gives a bonus to Intelligence Checks (giving us near unlimited Knowlege) or bonuses to specific saving throws (not my favorite, btw) or something else? Please share your wisdom.

Minor Aura: A minor aura lets allies add the marshal's Charisma bonus (if any) to certain rolls.

Accurate Strike: Bonus on rolls made to confirm critical hits.
*Art of War: Bonus on disarm, trip, bull rush, and sunder attempts.
Demand Fortitude: Bonus on Fortitude saves.
*Determined Caster: Bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance.
Force of Will: Bonus on Will saves.
Master of Opportunity: Bonus to Armor Class against attacks of opportunity.
*Master of Tactics: Bonus on damage rolls when flanking.
*Motivate Charisma: Bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks.
Motivate Constitution: Bonus on Constitution checks and Constitution-based skill checks.
*Motivate Dexterity: Bonus on Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks, and initiative checks.
Motivate Intelligence: Bonus on Intelligence checks and Intelligence-based skill checks.
Motivate Strength: Bonus on Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks.
Motivate Wisdom: Bonus on Wisdom checks and Wisdom-based skill checks.
*Over the Top: Bonus on damage rolls when charging.
Watchful Eye: Bonus on Reflex saves.

*chosen auras.

Some of those bonus really depend on the party make up and the tank that rolls with it. For example, the tank that I built would charge anytime it can. For the sheer damage potential it can do on a charge (PA -1/+5.. +100), plus the combo feats (combat brute, shoke trooper) that come into affect on the round after a charge.

So it depends, really. I would hold off selecting which aura's until you know the party make up.

-Blood

hero4hire

Explorer
Bloodweaver1 said:
So it depends, really. I would hold off selecting which aura's until you know the party make up.

-Blood

Meh! No offense, I generally dont approve of such metagaming. It isnt like in his career as a Marshal he knew he would be a part of this weird congregation.

I would take what auras that you think the character would take.

Voidrazor

First Post
Personally I see virtue in 'finding potential build synergies' but can see how it might be considered 'metagaming'. So rather than guessing at potential party composition, I'll just say that full attack on charge builds are likely to be more common at this level given that psionics (one of the few things that has ways to get an extra move action) aren't available.

I think your picks are good Nephtys. I'd probably take Demand Fortitude and Motivate Intelligence over Master of War and Master of Tactics. I could be wrong, but my impression of epic play is that fortitude save-or-dies will be common and it will be really important to know exactly what it is you're fighting.

Nephtys

First Post
I think that on our level it's more important to win initiative than to do an extra 21 damage on a charge (especially since most of the characters are unlikely to charge at all), so I'll probably use Motivate Dexterity the first round of combat (or when I expect that combat may be imminent). That leaves little room for Over the Top.
Demand Fortitude could be useful, but my character already has a Fort save of 45 and most save or die spells can be prevented by magical preparations.
I rather like the idea of being able to effortlessly disarm a Balor or knock a Solar on his ass, it gives my character a bit of a swashbucklery feel so I think I'll keep Art of War. Disarm can be devastating against an enemy with only one weapon and if I do it unarmed I can simply grab their weapon and use it against them. :lol:
And when I need to do damage I can flank and get +21 to seven attacks a round (+ I can grant a move action 3 times per day, which will allow us to get into position and take a full round attack on round 1.
Determined Caster is a no-brainer (and the only way I'm going to be able to do anything with my spell-like abilities and Motivate Charisma is any dimplomats wet dream. But is Motivate Intelligence really better than Over the Top? I think so.

Velmont

First Post
I'll await Rino judgement on what an animal form can keep and what he can't and I'll update my Dire Wolf stats sheet.

I'll try to make teh last part of his background as soona spossible, but this week, I won't, have the time. Big show this week-end. Also, I don'T have yet an idea that satisfy me, only things, it is the Waxing part will be his redemption.

Remove ads