• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Raven Blades

mgbeach

Explorer
In working on a character's backstory, I came up with an idea I wanted to run by y'all and maybe get some feedback on to try and polish it up.

Here's the character, named Isegrim Valko..

BACKSTORY

Isegrim is a large man, standing 6’4” tall and weighing in at about 250lbs. Thick black hair covers most of his body, and he has a veritable mane of the same cascading to his shoulders. He has striking amber eyes.

Isegrim was born along with his twin sister Reyna near the town of Wolf's Ear. Their father was never in the picture, having been a mercenary soldier who had a brief, steamy affair with their mother and then moved along, never even knowing she had gotten with child. Their mother fell ill when they were 15 years old and passed away the next spring.

Several years ago on the twins’ 20th birthday Isegrim returned home by the light of a full moon after a long day of hunting, a prize stag slung across his shoulders. He had always been an uncannily good hunter.

From his right he caught a blur of movement - a flash of red eyes and white teeth as a heavy, snarling weight bowled him over.

The stag dropped to the ground and Isegrim got to his feet, facing his attacker. It was a large and vicious wolf, all of its fury focused on him. They circled one another several times, each looking for an opening. The wolf suddenly charged, leaping towards Isegrim. He fell to his back and kicked up with his feet, using the beast’s own momentum against it. The snapping jaws closed inches in front of Isegrim’s face and its claws raked deep furrows along his left jawline as the wolf went flipping over him.

There was a snapping sound and a piercing yelp; as Isegrim got to his feet and turned he saw the beast impaled upon the dead stag’s rack of wicked antlers.

His relief at his own luck quickly turned to horror; as he watched, the wolf changed forms into his beloved sister Reyna. The red eyes softened to familiar amber ones from which a tear rolled down her alabaster cheek. With her last breath she said, "I'm so sorry...I... I couldn't control it."

Isegrim fell to his knees, futilely trying to make sense of what had just happened. He looked up to the full moon and let out a primal, howling scream. Tears and blood flowed down his face and mingled with Reyna's on the floor.

The next day he buried her next to their mother on a nearby hill covered in aspen trees. He clumsily did his best to sew up his face, but he would forever bear the scars of that night...in more ways than one.

Isegrim gathered his belongings with a grim determination. He knew he wouldn't be returning, and so anything he couldn't carry he'd have to either sell or trade away. His gaze drifted above the mantle and to the weapon that had hung there his entire life.

It was the family's Raven Blade, and had been in the Valkos' possession for generations. For reasons no longer fully understood, all of the area's oldest families had a bladed weapon of similar make and design.

Most families had a shortsword, longsword or dagger, but the Valko Raven Blade was a massive two-handed greatsword. It was a beautiful weapon, with a pommel in the shape of two facing ravens and a cross-guard depicting two jet-black raven wings. The leather of the grip was also black and tooled to resemble layered feathers.

It had been Isegrim's honor and duty to keep it oiled and sharpened for as long as he could remember. There was no way he'd be selling it off; the time had come to wield it.

IDEAS ABOUT THE VALKOS AND THE ORIGIN OF THE RAVEN BLADES

Ok, so this is where I need some ideas to really bring it all together into something truly cool (obviously, any and all cool ideas are welcome.. even if they change up some of the backstory above). Thanks in advance!

When looking over the map of Golarion I saw the town of Wolf's Ear marked and I loved the idea of a settlement of lycanthropes. I started thinking about the idea of these werewolves and whatnot having families.

As for Isegrim.. I see him as a carrier of the disease. So, maybe he's just a very good hunter, has a deep need to be a part of a pack (ie, adventuring group), has vaguely lupine features (amber eyes that flash in the firelight occasionally, dark hair all over, slightly more pronounced canine teeth), and anything else y'all think might be cool :)

So, if we make a quick foray into genetics..I'm thinking his mother passed the recessive gene on to he and his sister and his unknown mercenary father gave Reyna a matching recessive (making her a natural werewolf) but did not pass that gene to Isegrim.

The Raven Blades themselves came to me as an idea after watching a National Geographic special on wolves and how they have this weird relationship with ravens, almost playful at times.. It's speculated that the ravens circle above wounded animals/easy kills to alert "their" pack.

In Norse mythology, Odin's two ravens (Hugin and Munin) go out and fly all over the world gathering news for the god from both the living and the dead. He is also accompanied by two wolves (Freki and Geri). Those ideas probably arose from similar observations of ravens and wolves.

Here's a neat page on raven myth

Maybe the Raven Blades came about as a symbol linking a carrier family to a particular pack of werewolves. In a time long ago, it might have even been that these families fought alongside the lycanthropes to defend the area against a common enemy (invading Drow or something?) and were awarded the blades to mark them as auxiliary pack members (ie, the pack's "ravens")

A final thing is that obviously after all that it wouldn't do to toss the Raven Blade aside as soon as the first +1 greatsword popped up in a treasure pile. So, I was thinking that over time it might have properties that reveal themselves. I'd love any thoughts on how that might work and what those properties might be.

Thanks again for reading through all that, and I apologize if it was rambling on. And thanks in advance for all your awesome ideas that I know are forthcoming!

Fh0ht.png

Last edited:

Burn_Boy

First Post
Awesome backstory!

I had an idea about your Ravenblade, I got the idea from my own thread about keeping personal background items. One thing my DM is allowing me to do is take the weapon to a Master craftsman to sharpen, re balance, polish and do whatever it is you'd do to a weapon to fix her up. Have it cost whatever you'd need to make the Ravenblade masterwork (350gp if it's a greatsword right?) and ta da!

Yeah, I know it's basically RP fluff but who doesn't love a little of that in their campaigns?

Sigurd

First Post
Why not have the ravenblade be the mark of a herald for 'the people' it might be a fine blade, even magic, but it's biggest claim is that it is a sign of wisdom and status. Perhaps it is only fully revealed in the hands of a champion.

Champions become hybrid lycanthrops for ritual battle and almost never by chance. They are the face and fury of the people. Like Oden's ravens they are made in pairs by august and powerful Lycanthrop lords. 200 years might go by without their being a leader with the stature to make or commission a blade. The older the blade the greater its prestige.

mgbeach

Explorer
Awesome backstory!

I had an idea about your Ravenblade, I got the idea from my own thread about keeping personal background items. One thing my DM is allowing me to do is take the weapon to a Master craftsman to sharpen, re balance, polish and do whatever it is you'd do to a weapon to fix her up. Have it cost whatever you'd need to make the Ravenblade masterwork (350gp if it's a greatsword right?) and ta da!

Yeah, I know it's basically RP fluff but who doesn't love a little of that in their campaigns?

Yeah my DM and I have worked out a progression scheme of lvls 3,6,9,12,15,18..although I don't know exactly what properties will reveal themselves at each point. I think that's going to be a lot of fun.

Why not have the ravenblade be the mark of a herald for 'the people' it might be a fine blade, even magic, but it's biggest claim is that it is a sign of wisdom and status. Perhaps it is only fully revealed in the hands of a champion.

Champions become hybrid lycanthrops for ritual battle and almost never by chance. They are the face and fury of the people. Like Oden's ravens they are made in pairs by august and powerful Lycanthrop lords. 200 years might go by without their being a leader with the stature to make or commission a blade. The older the blade the greater its prestige.

This sounds very interesting.. are you saying that there would be another ravenblade greatsword that is the twin to the Valko blade? I love how that plays into the theme of twins as well.

Thanks guys for taking the time!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hey, 'beach... have you ever looked at the products Weapons of Legacy, and Swords of our Fathers? I'll see if I can dig up my PDF of Swords of my Fathers to let you look at next session. Afraid I don't have Weapons of Legacy, and it might be a little harder to get hold of nowadays, but if one of the group has it, maybe you and our DM can mine these two for ideas, if you haven't already.

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=16728&it=1
Weapons of Legacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mgbeach

Explorer
Hey, 'beach... have you ever looked at the products Weapons of Legacy, and Swords of our Fathers? I'll see if I can dig up my PDF of Swords of my Fathers to let you look at next session. Afraid I don't have Weapons of Legacy, and it might be a little harder to get hold of nowadays, but if one of the group has it, maybe you and our DM can mine these two for ideas, if you haven't already.

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=16728&it=1
Weapons of Legacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey buddy! Yeah I have the Weapons of Legacy pdf. Been looking through it today actually. Great stuff! Mike has some great ideas for progression. I was mostly trying to hammer out the background of the blades here.

mgbeach

Explorer
I got to playing around in photoshop and created a sigil that might adorn the sword belt's buckle or maybe be tooled into the leather of the scabbard. Maybe Isegrim wears a matching signet ring?

5o6K2.png

Sigurd

First Post
So you have a reference to two Wolves that Serve Odin. You have a reference to two Ravens that bring odin secrets and observations from the world over.

What is more in keeping with that then having two swords, blessed by the ravens, that are meant to bring wolf like heroes to Odin's attention.

In the interest of believability I'd assume that this type of sword has always been made as a pair by those able to commission the work. Sometimes they were just nice swords and significant people. Occasionally the raven swords find someone special. Much more interesting if there is a current set of swords and older, perhaps more powerful swords, still out there.

Seems like a really good premise to me.

Sigurd

mgbeach

Explorer
So you have a reference to two Wolves that Serve Odin. You have a reference to two Ravens that bring odin secrets and observations from the world over.

What is more in keeping with that then having two swords, blessed by the ravens, that are meant to bring wolf like heroes to Odin's attention.

In the interest of believability I'd assume that this type of sword has always been made as a pair by those able to commission the work. Sometimes they were just nice swords and significant people. Occasionally the raven swords find someone special. Much more interesting if there is a current set of swords and older, perhaps more powerful swords, still out there.

Seems like a really good premise to me.

Sigurd

Thanks, I really like the idea of having twin blades out there...just as there were pairs of ravens and wolves, and Isegrim and Rena were twin brother and sister.

Drathir

First Post
well since my theory of Weapons of Legacy has been said i have a question for you. did you draw the raven blade or did someone else cause it looks awesome.
oh and u might want to edit the theory of natural/carrier id say lycanthropy is a Dominant trait as not having it at all then getting biten gives you the disease/curse. as such you could easily translate natural lycantropy to being a sort of codominat trait thing (like AB bloodtype) thus having only one lycanthropy would give you afflicted or Ll while natural would be LL and non-lycans would be ll (L's used simply because its lycanthropy) ill admit thats going way into things but when i make characters i try to be as indepth as possible (unless its something like NPC Guard #2).

Last edited:

Remove ads