The Reconquista: Part I (Shadows over Istivin)

Seeten

First Post
Anastasia laughs, and nods, as if she has a secret she knows, but isnt sharing just yet. When they near town, it becomes obvious, as the mount isnt terribly hindered by the baring, and the burst of speed at the end is huge.

James Heard said:
OOC: 1st level rangers, what do they need besides their horses, shortbows, studded leather, and lances to be light cavalry? I think by sometime next week I should have all of the Reddogs named, even if I don't particularly care to stat them out.
OOC: If you want, I can stat them out for you. Just let me know how you want to assign their feats (missle weapon focus, melee weapon focus, mounted combat focus), and their favorite enemy.

And while I'm in the OOC strain, here's a map of Istivin for reference purposes.

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

First Post
George rides along with the crowd. One can notice he is not the happiest person on the horse and when Anastasia gallops off he shakes his head and mumbles. "Pompus show off."

On horseback you quickly cover the miles to Istivin, passing through large stretches of tilled land. Even though it is just past dawn, farm workers are already busy in the field, working behind a team of oxen, or planting a new season of crops in Sterich’s molasses-dark soil.
Past the fields you travel through the outskirts of the town, small buildings constructed since the war, housing Istivin’s tanneries and other less desirable industries.
Behind them, in the distance on Brink’s Hill you can see the estates of Istivin’s upper classes, surrounded by carefully manicured gardens, and constantly patrolled by all manner of guards.
Finally the dark basalt barbican of Javan Gate loom before you. Its three 60-foot-tall towers flank two gated entrances, currently blocked with all manner of people trying to get into the city. At the base of the gate, four statues of baying wolves the size of draft horses seem to snarl a defiant warning to Istivin’s enemies. Local legend holds that the wolves predate the city itself, and that their incorporation into the city’s primary defensive post hearkens to even older traditions now lost to all but the most fastidious scholar of Allitur.
The way in is currently blocked by over a dozen halberd-carrying town guardsmen, who seem to be asking each person of every class a rather lengthy series of questions before allowing them entrance into Istivin. This must be something new, as you do not remember it from your last visit here. Reluctantly you join the queue.

Ranger Rick

First Post
George upon seeing the line, halts his horse and ungraciously yet nimbly falls off the horse onto his feet. Looking up, he sees Anastasia several people ahead and looking at him, smirking at his "dismount".

George hands the reins to Mavic and whispers "Let me have some fun at little annie's expense. If you can hold these reins, I will see if I can bypass this line. Oh and thank you for the use of this beast."

George walks towards the guards. As he passes Anastasia, he bows lows "Greetings mi lady! How are we this fine day. I see that the 'pox' has not disfigured your wonderful skin, to bad your husband died from that horrible veneral disease. Of course funny thing, my barracks had that same disease run throgh it, soon after you came by to inspect the troops. Funny conincedence eh? I do hope that you where able to find a cleric who could cure you of that. Well nice talking with you." OOC: I spit out the words never giving her a chance to reply. I know there is no husband or disease or barracks, but her linemates do not know that.

George continues on down the line and approaches the guards. He sees a familar face and walks toward him. The guard salutes him and calls him Col. Anarion. George salutes back and shakes his hand, clasps the guards bicep and proceeds to discuss former brother's in arms. After several minutes of chit chat, George awaits Anastasia and the party. George asks his friend the guard "if Mavic, Latalya, Morley, and Revik can be let in without further delay?"

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
Ranger Rick said:
George hands the reins to Mavic and whispers "Let me have some fun at little annie's expense. If you can hold these reins, I will see if I can bypass this line. Oh and thank you for the use of this beast."
"You should thank the young man who still waits at Istivin Crossing instead of I," Mavic sneers. "And no, I don't think this is a good idea."

Ranger Rick said:
George walks towards the guards. As he passes Anastasia, he bows lows "Greetings mi lady! How are we this fine day. I see that the 'pox' has not disfigured your wonderful skin, to bad your husband died from that horrible veneral disease. Of course funny thing, my barracks had that same disease run throgh it, soon after you came by to inspect the troops. Funny conincedence eh? I do hope that you where able to find a cleric who could cure you of that. Well nice talking with you." OOC: I spit out the words never giving her a chance to reply. I know there is no husband or disease or barracks, but her linemates do not know that.
"Fool, imbecile! Why spread your lies when these people have so much more real to fear for?" Mavic spits from between furiously clenched teeth beneath his breath.

"Mishell! Anders! Roen!" Mavic barks out aloud. " Form up around and make sure this crowd doesn't get out of hand. Eshanna, tend to them if you would, make a show of it."

Eshanna's eyes narrow and she nods, dismounting her horse and courteously moving to ask each member of the line if there might be something to be done for them in aid or healing.

He nudges Fage up to beside Anastasia, handing off the reins to Gemlem as he passes.

"Tell me, m'lady, again why I should only do good deeds and not give in to the pleasures of revenge and bloodshed?" he asks, pointedly looking at the petty elven form of "Col. Anarion" ahead of them. To Reivik he says, "Perhaps ye have a song appropriate for when a companion accuses one of plague in retaliation for losing a horse race?"

"This is going to work about as well as his plan for Galmoor, I'm afraid."

Seeten

First Post
Anastasia has not unhorsed, so she is quite near the line, but not actually in it, and is in the saddle. As George comes toward her, she takes off her helmet, and treats him to a beautiful, genuine smile. As he begins to spit out his words, one fine eyebrow arches upwards, and she looks down at him, eyes darkening to a steely grey.

As he runs off, she puts her helm back on her head, stating, "Listen not to the words of fools, and madmen, citizens of Sterich." Her armor gleams, and the words do appear, while shocking, to not have put her out of all sorts, rather, they appear to disappoint her. The standard of Mayaheine stands out on her shield. She looks as if she expects the peasants and guardsmen to react as though George is crazy, not as though the richly armored Paladin is diseased.

She turns to Mavic, and smiles, again, though its harder to see through the helmet, you can tell regardless. "We should do good deeds, Mavic, because if we do NOT, who will? If not us, then who? It is on us, that all this depends. It is on us that it rests. If good people do nothing, or worse, if good people do the dark deeds themself, what hope is there?" She grins again, "Besides, who says revenge is a pleasure we should starve ourselves of? Not I. My Lady says we must have revenge on the Giants for their atrocities, and so we shall, Mavic, so we shall."

Scotley

Hero
Morley Human Ranger

Morley watches his companions actions from horseback a bemused expression on his face. How is it that we forget our comrads faults and remember only the good times? Oh well, at least this won't be dull. If there is trouble with the crowd he will help the Rangers, but otherwise he is content to wait his turn.

Ranger Rick

First Post
As George waits inside the checkpoint, he sees Anastasia coming in. "Hail Anastasia, or should I call your pokey self 'George'? Why don't we call your silly race that involves your boast of speed and horseflesh prowess, fini. You had your fun at the docks and I had mine here. Truce mi lady?" The last words being honestly said as he bows like a proper courtier.

Remove ads