• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Risen Goddess (Updated 3.10.08)

I am amazed that the whole campaign consists of only two people! How does this work logistically? Does the person who's DMing always control all the PCs except the one being controlled by the other player?

I like that the heroes approach things head on. Giants causing a problem in the mountains? Seek 'em out and slaughter 'em. Drow planning a military attack? Tell their leader to abandon his base, or else. It's refreshing to see PCs who aren't beating around the bush, wondering what's in it for them. What's in it for them is GLORY AND RENOWN! Not to mention the fun of playing.

It must be great fun to be able to plop in anything from FR, Greyhawk, and random D&D adventures at will. Planar travel, teleportation, those wacky FR portals - neat. But at the same time, the story is kept cohesive because it focuses on the PCs.

You also seem to have a real flair for exciting combats. To what do you attribute that? Years of practice, or some trick of the trade? And, this may seem like an odd question, but when you write in the story something like "Taran stabs his sword deep into the bugbear's neck" - is that what Taran's player actually said, or did he just say (like most players) "I hit him". I'm always trying to get my players to be more graphic in their combat descriptions, with mixed results.

(contact)

Explorer
I am amazed that the whole campaign consists of only two people! How does this work logistically? Does the person who's DMing always control all the PCs except the one being controlled by the other player?

First of all, I know this guy better than anyone else living and breathing on planet earth-- we grew up together from infancy, and are brothers in all but blood. So we understand what it takes to work with each other in a creative way-- we game together, and we have a business together, etc.

We've done the 'trade off DMing chores' deal for the 16 years we've been gaming, so the kinks are worked out at this point. :)

Generally, the person DMing runs 1 or 2 PCs as NPCs, and the player runs the other 2 or 3. Recently, we've cut the party down to 3 players to ease some of this burden as the characters become high level (and highly complex).

We've played these PCs long enough that there's no real strong sense of individual PC ownership in terms of role-playing. Indy is my character, but my DM knows what Indy would do in any situation, and has free rein to run him as he sees fit. I create and level Indy and Taran, but they are not always my "voice", if that makes sense.

In recent episodes, I have had to play Kyreel and Thel more often than usual because they would just "get" more of the intrigue. If I (as a player) figure out that villain A is setting us up to kill villain B to advance Evil Plot X, then in-game that's Thelbar doing the talking. But if I figure out an amusing and cocky way to say, "I'm going to kill you next, punk" that's Taran talking.

Of course, the D&D "solve the game" type of strategies are left to the person playing.

anything from FR, Greyhawk, and random D&D adventures . . . but at the same time, the story is kept cohesive because it focuses on the PCs.

And it helps when the larger plotline actually spans the game-world. This story could have been run *anywhere*, as is, which means we get to run it anywhere we decide. In this case, we chose FR and Greyhawk. No doubt the home-brew campaign world of Isk (Ishlok's original home before she came out of her deific closet) will get explored before this is all over as well.

You also seem to have a real flair for exciting combats. To what do you attribute that?

Hm. I don't know if they'd seem as exciting if you were at the table with us, but we do try to really challenge each other with unusual set-ups and monster tactics. Having 2 people instead of 5-6 helps things move quickly from start to finish. Also, having Taran in your group keeps the fights from dragging out too long. He's a broccoli chopper for sure.

I also just cut the boring fights from the logs altogether. When you see a sentance like, "The party encounters several trolls and a particularly foul imp along the way, and butchers the creatures before reaching the throne room" you know that those fights were boring.

You'll notice that most of the fights in modules get this treatment. I don't know if I'm just missing the point or what, but what is the deal with the 10-12 dull ass encounters in every WotC module? Usually, my DMs sense of versimilitude won't let him have monsters next door to one another not help each other out, so we wind up fighting the lot of the baddies in one go anyway.

when you write in the story something like "Taran stabs his sword deep into the bugbear's neck" - is that what Taran's player actually said?

Yes. I'm much more explicit with my gore and combat details than my co-player, but over the years I've gotten him used to my cinematic embellishments, and he's taught me not to break the crunchy rules while I do it. :) I do try to keep the gore to a "PG-13" boundary in the logs.

Ditto for the sex scenes-- we gloss over the happenings and use euphamisms wherever possible. KnowwhatImean?

(contact)

Explorer
51—The Adventurer’s Trinity: Preparation, Surprise, and Overwhelming Force.

Kyreel is able to cure herself, and the group retraces their steps until they are back at the sinkhole near where they encountered the crying drow. Thelbar advocates attacking again in the morning, this time trying to approach unseen. Taran agrees, but is concerned that the drow will make some sort of immediate reprisal, and attempt to harry the party and keep them from taking the initiative. Taran proposes that the party place the portable hole on the cave wall in an area of deep shadow where the opening can face the sinkhole. Then, the group will climb inside it and wait in ambush for the drow strike force.

Taran’s strategy and knowledge of drow tactics is sound. Only a few short hours after the group settles in, a large fighting band of drow emerge from the sinkhole. Paradoxically, they are dressed in the uniforms of the White Death, Kiransalee’s army, but have certainly come hunting for the Champions of the Risen Goddess, as they are garbed for a surface-world assault.

A double-score of drow warriors, along with four horrific ghoul-like skinless undead are led by both a cleric and a wizard from the Szith Morcane mage’s guild. None of the drow recognize the pitch-black hole at floor-level for what it is, and the party is able to slip out of the portable hole, and creep up behind the drow column.

Thelbar proves at once that he can quicken haste and chain lightning as well as any other wizard, and adds a feeblemind for the wizard to boot. Kyreel’s holy smite and flame strike make quick work of the cleric, and other spellcasters. Taran, as is his custom, waits until his companions have unleashed their spells before charging forward to mop up any survivors. Predictably enough, the drow column is nearly wiped out before they can marshal a response, and the rest of the fight is an anticlimax.

Not wishing to take any chances, the party returns to the portable hole to rest and make plans for the monring.

“There is some wicked force in that place,” Thelbar says. “An entity of some sort. I heard its voice in my head, when we spoke to Solom Ned’razak. It said “Kill him and free me, and I will give you great rewards.”

“Yes, I heard it also,” Kyreel says.

“If Solom Ned’razak is binding demons, this plays to our advantage. I suspect we will be likely to have more success scrying the thrall than scrying the wizard.”

-----

And so, the next morning, Thelbar scrys the possessor of the voice heard in his head, and as he suspected, he sees a large fiend, trapped within a summoning circle. The fiend stands some 9 feet tall, judging by the other furnishings in the room, and is a jackal-headed creature, covered in fur, and possessed of an extra set of arms ending in wicked-looking pincers.

After watching the room for a few moments, Thelbar teleports the group to the location, and despite their invisibility, they are immediately spotted by the fiend.

“Ah, I thought you would be back,” it intones, its foul voice buzzing about in the party’s heads like a swarm of carrion flies. “Have you considered my offer? Ned’razak is too much for you, but not with my help. Free me, and I will take his mewling soul with me to the Abyss once we have rended him limb from limb.”

“We doubt your trustworthiness,” Kyreel states, “and are not in the habit of making deals with fiends.”

“You wound me,” the creature says.

“Tell us what you know of Ned’razak, and we will determine for ourselves if freeing you is a desirable option,” Thelbar says.

“Ah, yes, bargaining for information.” The fiend says this last word with dripping contempt. “I should have suspected no better from one who has sat a throne in Baator. Do I surprise you? Do I unman you?"” The fiend pauses, but there is no response. “Ned’razak is a diabolist, the worst sort of summoner. He has licked the boots of his baatezu masters and begged them for a vision.” the fiend continues, “They told him that you are deeply hated by the nine princes. Congratulations on that, by the way. They told him that you are the one who displaced Belial.” The name of the arch-fiend is itself an unholy word, and even despite the summoning circle’s protective hedge, sends tremors through the bodies of the party. The fiend laughs slowly, a rolling and oddly seductive chuckle.

“Devils are so pathetic,” he finishes.

“No deal,” Thelbar says. “We kill Ned’razak, and then we see about you.”

Taran creeps through the door of the summoning room, using all his stealth, and leads the party back to the chamber where they were so ingloriously defeated mere hours before. Ned’razak’s bodyguard stands on watch just outside of an open door, her swords in hand. The drow have been put on their guard, no doubt by the summoned fiend. Taran creeps past her, and notes the slight shimmering outline of an invisible figure lurking in a corner of the room beyond. He leaps forward and seizes the mage, shouting “Thel! Over here!”

Thelbar’s customary feeblemind takes sudden effect, and Taran finds himself holding on to a nearly defenseless old drow man. The bodyguard does not fare near as well with her master gone, and after another brief exchange, she lies dead on the floor.

The party quickly loots both the bodies and the mage’s room with a practiced ease, stuffing everything that looks valuable or radiates magic into their portable hole. Finishing that, they sneak out of the mage’s school, and head toward the highest point of Szith Morcane, the spider-shaped temple that was once a home for the worship of Lolth, and now houses Irae T’ssarion’s White Death.

They move through the complex with an efficiency born of long practice, and put to the sword and spell all drow within. The place is crawling with undead, and more than its share of vampires. During the temple’s final resistance, a drowish high-priestess standing behind a fearsome-looking death knight and a large contingent of vampires taunts the party.

“The goddess you serve is dead!” she says, making a reference to the spider-queen pins the party wears.

“The goddess we serve is Palatin Eremath, and she’s already been dead,” Kyreel retorts.

Taran whirls his sun blade above his head, and the enchanted blade produces a sunlight radiance that confuses and scatters their vampiric foes. The death knight, even without his vampiric allies, proves to be a vital and fearsome combatant. There is something disturbingly familiar about his carriage and fighting style, although none of the characters can put their finger on exactly what it is.

The remaining priestess drops a blade barrier on the party, but cannot pin any of the heroes down with the spell. Taran scuttles underneath the whirling fan of blades, and says “Nice blade barrier. Y’wanna see mine?” There is no save for half.

After Taran finishes with the priestess, he assists Kyreel with the death knight, and soon the servants of Kiransalee in Szith Morcane number only a handful of undead, scattered to whatever strange winds blow through the lightless world of the Underdark.

The group makes a search of the temple, and discovers several pieces of communication to the priestess from none other that Irae T’ssarion herself. In the letters, T’ssarion refers to the woman as “daughter”, and entreats her to stand fast against “whatever surface-dwellers may come”. The followers of Kiransalee expect an attack from adventurers, but there is no mention of any specifics.

In the heart of the place is a lost temple to Lolth, sacked and desecrated. The entire place gives off an exceptionally unwholesome chill. No doubt the massacres and sacrifices that accompanied the recent overthrow of Lolth’s faithful had this place as their epicenter. Now, the sanctum is so foul that according to the tracks, not even the perpetrators of the crimes can stomach the place long enough to make any use out of it.

Truth be told, with their military objective achieved, it was only greed that drew the Champions of the Risen Goddess into such a horrible place.

Last edited:

“Ah, yes, bargaining for information.” The fiend says this last word with dripping contempt. “I should have suspected no better from one who has sat a throne in Baator. [...] “They told him that you are deeply hated by the nine princes. Congratulations on that, by the way. They told him that you are the one who displaced Belial.”

What's that all about? What does the fiend know about our heroes' past lives that they themselves do not? (Or was I just not paying attention earlier?)

incognito

First Post
Truth be told, with their military objective achieved, it was only greed that drew the Champions of the Risen Goddess into such a horrible place.

Please tell me that much of the treasure the party took is twisted and cursed, or has horrifying side effects...

Your friendly neighbor on the eastcoast, incognito...

:rolleyes:

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
incognito said:

Please tell me that much of the treasure the party took is twisted and cursed, or has horrifying side effects...

Your friendly neighbor on the eastcoast, incognito...

:rolleyes:

I suspect someone has been reading a Vile book...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads