The Risen Goddess (Updated 3.10.08)

(contact)

Explorer
The Crux of the Matter

From Chapter 102:

“I’ve got it all figured,” Taran is whispering conspiratorially to Gorquen as the group marches through the streets of Sigil, back to the portal to the Abyss. “I took my headband off last night—don’t tell Thel.”

“You have what figured?” Gorquen asks wearily.

“Why Ishlok picked losers like me and you to go to Faerun and f-ck everything up.”

“No way, Taran. I’m not taking religious advice from you.”

“See, Ishlok chooses her Champions based on merit and past service—she has to know that they can take the heat; but she doesn’t guide them at all, once they are in the fire.”

“Well, that’s not true.”

“It isn’t?” Taran scowls at Gorquen. “The hell it isn’t! When was the last time she answered a divination for us? Why are we stuck asking Lathander for directions all the time?”

Gorquen scowls.

Taran continues. “By leaving us out in the cold, she is demonstrating the pasoun in action—self determination in all things, even for her direct mortal representatives. It shows her commitment to her values.”

Gorquen is laughing. “Did your familiar help you come up with that stupid theory? Ishlok is a goddess, Taran. You’d think she could have picked better Champions than us.”

“Well, I don’t know about Trezler, but I figured out about us three: I think Ishlok picked us because she knew we’d piss everybody off. All the friendly stuff? That’s just a smokescreen. We’re not diplomats—we’re the tip of the spear. If you want to start a fight with a whole world, send Gorquen and Taran.”

(contact)

Explorer
Current Adventure Arc

In the dim and misty 2nd edition past, Orcus (you might have heard of him; fat, hairy and evil. No, Joshua, not Ron Jeremy) was killed by the dark elven goddess Kiransalee in her bid to consolidate the portfolio of the undead. Orcus then returned to the multiverse as Tenebrous, hid out for a while, revealed himself again as Orcus in time for 3e, and thanks to the history dug up by our heroes has finally been given his true identity:

Orcus is Scaladar; one of the “first made,” the immortal race which was the precursor to elves in the service of the elven pantheon.

Scaladar had been Palatin Eremath’s right-hand-entity, and when Corellian Larethian cut down his sister/baby mama, Scaladar was driven mad, spending an eon in anguish and torment at the very ass-bottom of the multiverse before re-emerging as a fallen Godling; the Demon Prince of the Undead.

The group believes that Orcus the Demon-Prince came about as a result of a deific curse from Corellian Larethian, and if he received the pasoun, Orcus might yet be restored to if not sanity, at least a process that might have sanity as an end state.

Further more (and perhaps more justly), the innocent proto-elven souls that were banished along with Orcus ought to be freed from eternal torment.

Therefore, the Champions of the Risen Goddess have determined to travel to Orcus’ layer within the Abyss. Despite the sensible advice of an entity no less august than the first and greatest Elven prophet (as in, evar). They have determined to kick the Demon Prince between the danglies and see what falls out. They have had some assistance from one of his high-ranking liches, who reports that Orcus has been . . . well, acting a bit like a bitch.

From Chapter 99 said:
“I have come to speak with you regarding Nar Tyr,” the creature whispers, its voice a throaty hiss. “What humble knowledge I may possess, I place before you. Your success is our success.”

“Our?” Thelbar says.

“I represent a coven of liches that live within the City of the Dead, and we know what you would be about.”

“Let’s take him outside and kill him,” Gorquen says.

Taran squints at the lich, sizing him up. “He won’t bleed—we can kill him here.”

The lich keeps his gaze upon Thelbar. “I did not come to speak with your dull-witted chattel,” it says. “Dismiss them, so we may converse as entities among equals.”

Taran laughs. “He’s talking about you, Gorquen.”

“He is not,” she snaps.

“Begin with Nar Tyr,” Thelbar suggests. “My companions shall remain.”

The lich bows slightly—a gesture that produces a slight trickle of sand from one eye-socket. “Nar Tyr is the unfortunate capitol of Orcus’ realm within in the abyssal plane of never-life,” the lich rasps. “Our city is built on three tiers carved from a mountain face. The least sentient populate the lowest tier, the free-willed undead the second, and the city’s crown is Nixel-Rel, the center for arcane study within the entire plane, and my cherished home. Nixel-Rel is also the place where Kiransalee sat her throne while she was our mistress. Orcus’ mysterious return from the dead has disposed Kiransalee, and not all are pleased. I am here to tell you that we support your intent, although we cannot offer any palpable assistance at this time.”

“Our intent?” Thelbar asks. “We pursue many goals. Perhaps you could clarify your comment.” There is a subtle exchange between the two wizards, an unseen but tremendous battle of wills.

“We agree that Myth Iskok and the other . . . examples of our current ruler’s scandalous past have no place in the Abyss.”

“Other examples?” Thelbar looks strained, his lips taut and thin.

“There is a burial mound near the city, a place strong with souls who do not belong with us. Orcus is himself terrified of the place, and will not face it. The corpulent demon-prince also scuttles on his belly to another location within his realm. We have not observed him there, for he permits no company, but curses and cries have been heard—nearly all who live within Nixel-Rel have been forced to endure his begging and tears.”

“Begging?” Taran says.

“You can see where this might impact the confidence of his so-called servitors,” the lich finishes.

“What does he beg for?” Thelbar asks.

The lich clacks his teeth sharply in a gesture meant to replace a smile. “I am sure I would not wish to know.” The creature gathers his robes about him, and backs away from the door. “May fortune smile upon you. We shall never see one another again.”

Gorquen stands and places her hand upon her sword-hilt “Well that’s a shame, dick. Sorry you couldn’t stay.”

Taran laughs as the lich fades away and disappears.

“Call me stupid,” Gorquen mutters to herself.

“We are stupid,” Taran says. “Lighten up. He was terrified of you.”

The group, somewhat predictably, is most intrigued by the burial mound. Orcus is a divine presence, but according to his liches, he's frightened of this tomb. Upon their arrival, the tomb itself proves to be an artifact! An object of unimaginable power, the thing is covered with runes, most notably: “I await my master’s hand.

Before they can enter the tomb, the group encounters a paladin who has sat a vigil upon the spot. The paladin claims to be none other than one of Kyreel’s previous incarnations! Betrayed and abandoned in Hell by an earlier Thelbar and Taran, this Kyreel has remained by this tomb with one purpose and one purpose only; to prevent the brothers Tar-Ilou from entering.

And then Taran kills him.

(contact)

Explorer
104—Reflections

The low burial mound has stately and ornate doors; they are marked with a series of runes that form a complex pattern. Not a language, Thelbar tells the group, so much as a series of impressions—meant to convey the maker’s psychic state at the time of the writing. It is, he assures them, a communiqué meant only for the rarified few in the multiverse possessed of the native intelligence to decipher it.

“Or,” he adds wryly, “those of us sufficiently magically enhanced.”

“So you can read it?” Taran asks, squinting. “I hate abstract art.”

“It is a warning,” Thelbar says.

“Well f-ck, I could have told you that,” Taran replies.

“Really?” Elgin asks.

“Sure—there’s always a warning on dusty old tombs, especially ones important enough to be guarded by dead paladins. It goes to show how being so damn smart doesn’t make you smart, you know? Like after all we’ve been through, a warning is going to stop us.”

“He has a point,” Thelbar says. “Perhaps it is better if I do not translate this passage. Suffice it to say, it concerns immortality and terror. The two concepts were vitally linked in the scriber’s mind.”

“Heh. I am a terror,” Taran says, drawing his sword. “And there ain’t no such thing as live forever. Open the door, Thel, if you can, and let’s finish this thing.”

Brother,” Thelbar thinks. “You are named here, as am I.

Taran looks up at Thelbar, and they lock eyes for several moments. Finally, Taran shrugs. “F-ck it,” he says. Thelbar nods.

The door swings open at Thelbar’s gentle touch; as if it were made for his hand. The smallish exterior contains a much larger interior space; a long hall, some twenty feet in width and three times that in length. The interior is shockingly mundane—scented torches provide a mellow illumination, and several dozen luxurious carpets cover the floor. Comfortable-looking human-sized furniture is scattered throughout, including bookshelves and a long table filled with all manner of appetizing food and drink. A heavily armored squat and burly human man stands at the table with his back to the adventurers, casually picking through the carcasses of several small birds, pulling the choice morsels from them, and discarding the rest. At the other end of the hall, a well-dressed man reclines against a bookshelf. He is slender and tall, dark-haired and olive-skinned, possessed of delicate features set around a prominent aquiline nose. His eyes are his most striking feature—afterwards, none could agree as to their color or shape, although all admitted being unable to hold their gaze.

As the party steps into the room, the thin man carefully closes the book he was holding and sets it aside. “Brother,” he says mildly.

“Yes, I am aware,” the man at the table replies. He turns toward the party. Despite his formidable size, his features bear a strong resemblance to the other; while squat where this brother is long, they carry the same turn of the mouth, the same nose, and same frown-lines surrounding the mouth and eyes. This one’s face and neck, however, are covered in a tangle of long scars. His armor is elaborately made, and marked with a runic inscription that strikes both Taran and Thelbar as familiar. He swaggers forward, his lone weapon, a bastard sword, slapping against his mailed thigh. He pauses a few steps from Taran.

Finally, he speaks. “Well, I’ve seen better days.”

“What?” Taran opens and closes his mouth, his insult dying before it is fully formed.

“Welcome, finally,” the tall man begins, addressing Thelbar. “You are the last, and I assume you are prepared.” He gestures to Gorquen and Elgin. “I do not know you. Leave now. Your journeys with these two are over.”

“I go as I am guided, stranger,” Elgin says, “not as I am bid.”

“Should I kill him for that, Taran?” the burly man asks with a smirk. “What would you do?”

“F-cking try it,” Taran warns.

“I’m twice the swordsman you are,” the man promises.

“I’ve got twice the friends,” Taran replies.

“You’ve only got half the friends you’d need.”

Thelbar steps toward the thin man and asks, “How can this be?”

“The pasoun has many mysteries,” the tall man says, “and, tragically, few answers. I, however, possess one of them. And you are here to share it.”

“I will not,” Thelbar says. “Not with you. You are no more.”

“Have I grown so insipid? Have I become a milk-fed child, sucking at that goddess’ teat and listening wide-eyed to her cronies and lickspittle priests? Her pasoun is a sham, a siphon, but like all things it serves the will of those able to master it. There are many of us, you fool, but I am the prime. I instigated you; I am the maker and destroyer; I am the hell-prince, the eater of souls! I am the grey, the lost and the chosen. You are a facet of your own self; I am its sum!”

“I think perhaps you are mad,” Elgin says.

The thin man shrugs. “You lack the capacity to judge me,” he sneers. “Show some care with your tone, you address an ascendant.”

“You died,” Thelbar says. “I died. I’ve recalled it all.”

The man shakes his head. “I entered the pasoun. This is a critical distinction.”

The burly man smirks at Taran—he has not taken his eyes from him. “They get like this when they get together,” he says. “Most of us fight, but most of the Thelbars just talk.”

“What do the Gorquens do?” Taran asks.

“The what?” the burly man says, a split second before Gorquen leaps at him.

She smashes into him, and forces him backwards. He draws his sword, knocking Gorquen’s weapon off-line and cutting her twice before she can finalize her attack. Taran, no gentleman, leaps into the fray, but his angle of approach is deftly turned aside with clever footwork and precise parries. The burly man is smiling pleasantly, his former scowl giving way to a sneering delight.

“Brother!” the other-Taran yells. “Disintegrate this bitch and I’ll do the priest!”

But his brother cannot comply. Thelbar points a finger at his predecessor “I wish,” he begins, “that the pain of your folly in the Hells, the crushing truth of your failure comes fully to your mind. Relive the torments of the damned!”

The thin man cries out and stumbles forward, gasping in shock.

“Gorquen!” Thelbar cries, but she is already in motion. She disengages from the burly warrior and flies to the side of the reeling mage. Taran slides into the space she just left, preventing his predecessor from intervening. As the Thelbar-Prime stares drooling at the boots of his spiritual successor, Gorquen leaps upon him, seizing him by the hair. With an apologetic glance, she severs his head from his neck.

“I’m sorry,” she whispers.

“I’m not,” Thelbar whispers back.

-----

In his first life, Taran was considered by many knowledgeable entities to be one of, if not the most skilled swordsman in the multiverse. The gulf between legendary hero and demi-power is vast, but before surrendering his will to debauchery, this man had nearly crossed it.

Presumably, he has had several millennia here inside this artifact to work the love of drink out of his system, waiting for each Taran and Thelbar that was or would be to arrive at this destination; to embrace the destiny penned ages ago by Thelbar-Prime. Waiting to be made complete.

The current Thelbar understood the opportunity, and recognized it for what it is; a power-mad former self’s bid for godhood. Audacious in its scope, certainly, but no less possible for it.

Taran, on the other hand would, require a baker’s dozen headbands of intellect to grasp the magnitude of this meeting. To him, he is simply facing the last in a very short line of fighters that have outclassed him: Mishkal and Hamm on the Marrow Down, Gulthais in Nightfang Spire, Dantrak, the Matron Mother’s First Sword, Hereson Truesliver, godling of Tyr. Gorquen.

And now, himself.

But he smiles as he regards his own murderous demiurge reflected in this ancient face, because like it did with all the rest, Taran knows that four-on-one beats superior bladework any day.

The Taran-Prime takes longer to behead than his brother, and the protracted act is one of a dozen cuts, but its result is just as final, and its leaving even more bloody.

Remembering the rush that accompanied the death of Hereson Truesilver, Taran turns expectantly to Thelbar when his simulacrum falls, but nothing happens.

“Aw, I wanted to get some power,” he whines.

“No, brother,” Thelbar says with a relieved smile. “No you didn’t.”

Villanelle

First Post
(contact) said:
Taran, on the other hand would, require a baker’s dozen headbands of intellect to grasp the magnitude of this meeting. To him, he is simply facing the last in a very short line of fighters that have outclassed him: Mishkal and Hamm on the Marrow Down, Gulthais in Nightfang Spire, Dantrak, the Matron Mother’s First Sword, Hereson Truesliver, godling of Tyr. Gorquen.

And now, himself.

Love it. I've got a baker's dozen reasons why I married you. Your storyhours are just icing on the ck-ake. You rock.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
So...

Just finished reading this for the first time the other day.

Wow.

This is a wonderful story hour. I don't know what happened during the 4 years to keep you from writing, but I hope everything's ok and that you're back in for the long haul!

I have to confess, I'm a little confused about the player setup. At one point I thought it was just you and your DM switching off and playing 2-4 characters at a time. Do you have a more traditional gaming group now, or is/was it still just the two of you running through the stories?

Rackhir

Explorer
Glad to see you posting again (contact).

Been liking what I've read of the SH so far. Just sorry it took me so long to get around to reading it.

(contact)

Explorer
Heya, Rackhir!

GoodKingJayIII said:
I have to confess, I'm a little confused about the player setup. At one point I thought it was just you and your DM switching off and playing 2-4 characters at a time. Do you have a more traditional gaming group now, or is/was it still just the two of you running through the stories?

The story has been over for 4 years. This latest post is me picking back up my notes and taking a stab at finishing it up, in a sort of anticipation of reincarnating these characters for 4e.

It was a 2-person game, with Thelbar's player (Chris) and I alternating DMing roles until about the time when the PCs go into the Underdark and get involved with the drow city. My last adventure in this storyline was when the players had to go rescue Elminster and Khelben.

When you see Gorquen make an appearance, it means Chris' wife Angie sat in for a story-line. She and he also ran one-on-one adventures that are summarized in this narrative when Gorquen updates the group on her doings. Gorquen did most of the elven-pantheon storylines, with Taran and Thelbar dealing with (coughpissingoffcough) the Faerunian Pantheon.

Remove ads