D&D General The Role and Purpose of Evil Gods

Chaosmancer

Legend
Depending on where the coolant or liquid co2 would hit you, death will be fast. That is something akin to make that saving throw.

This is literally true of all things. But again, is it the frost burn or the bleeding or the suffocation or the infection that kills you?

IF the stone were to be damaged enough to allow easy escape as you claimed, you need large chunks of the stone wall to literally break in one shot. Thus exploding. Not all explosion are big bangs.

This is a result of you adding things I never said, so that you can debunk them. That is called a strawman. The point I was making is that this glyph would damage the cell, not that it would damage the wall enough for a person to escape. As you already pointed out, there is no way a 1st level character could survive this spell going off. However, considering it would damage the cell, the fact that using this as a containment measure that will eventually require the rebuilding of the cell... again, poor use of resources. As I keep saying.

SO it can if you want it, but it can't if it does not fit your goal...

What does this have to do with standard glass cracking at extreme cold temperatures while scientific grade glass won't because it has fewer impurities?

Hey! In Ebberon it would not be whether the cell would be treated with the spells, but if they would simply be already enchanted in the first place!

And this isn't taking place in Eberron, unless you are changing the goal posts AGAIN.

Additionally, Eberron says that 1st and 2nd level spells are widely available, but 3rd and higher are not. And, "tiny village" isn't one that is going to have all the bells and whistles of the city. Including magic.

Houuuuuuuuu. Read them again. Witchlight starts in the Realm. So does Candlekeep, Descent into Avernus and ToA too. Ghosts of Saltmarsh is set in Greyhawk but if you look carefully, many of the "side" adventures are directly taken from adventures originally set in the Realms if I remember correctly. And if you read again my posts, since we only have the legal code of Waterdeep, if you remove all mentions of the Lords, you get a legal code that is quite acceptable for any places in the realm. Travelling has no bearing on whether or not the adventure is in the realm or not. The legal system can be used.

Realms =/= Waterdeep. I don't know why I need to keep reminding you of that? Do you need a map of the realms? Additionally, I don't care that we have an official set of laws for Waterdeep but nowhere else. Assuming all laws are Waterdeep's laws from that, when we KNOW FOR A FACT that is wrong, is just ridiculous.

Witchlight starts "in the realms"? Okay, that could be Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter, Cormyr, Luskan, Icewind Dale. There are lots of places that have laws that aren't Waterdeep. Some of those whose laws we have some insight into because of the Sword Coast Guide. Does it give us an exact legal code for every realm? No, but it certainly gives us enough to know that not everyone on the continent is copying a single city.

Candlekeep is 600 miles away from Waterdeep. Claiming they would share in Waterdeep's laws, while being an independent organization is like claiming that Isreal's laws mirror Egypt's. And they are closer to each other than 600 miles.

Descent to Avernus takes place in Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate does not have the same laws as Waterdeep, especially considering their entirely different ruling classes.

Tomb of Anhilation takes place in CHULT. It isn't even the same REGION as Waterdeep.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh may have borrowed from Realms adventures... but it still takes place on an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PLANET.

If your best defense of this idea is that every setting and place in DnD 5e must copy Waterdeep because it is the only legal code you are aware of, then you are making a ludicrous claim.

Note the "might". This is not a certainty. And nothing prevents the central authority to actually have a caster travel to said village to renew the spell if needed. If you need to repair your dishwasher, you will call in the repairman. Samething for magic. The mayor/constable/sheriff or whatever will send a letter or messenger for the central authority to send someone to replace the spell that discharged. And since years might pass between discharges it will not be such a drain on the coffers.

Who says that it will be years between discharges? Are crime rates really that low?

Also that "might" can't only be interpreted as "maybe you'll find high level magic in this village" but it is ALSO "you might not find high level magic in big cities." Because, sure, in the modern America you can call a dishwasher repair man to come to your house.... unless you live in somewhere far off, like Alaska. Then you might not have that option. In fact, it is well known that if you live in Alaska, you might not be able to get doctors or ambulances if you are in need of medical help. Depends on where you live.

Because traveling a large distance through hostile territory is dangerous and expensive.

Wow! You are the champion on how to make wrong conclusions. The wizard can still pay his taxes by working for the noble. Where is the contradiction in that? None.

I thought he owed his taxes to the Crown? Working for a noble isn't working for the crown. Additionally, since the wizard is (as I showed in the math you refused to accept) likely WEALTHIER than most of the nobles, I don't see him really choosing to work for them.

The sheriff, constable, or whatever is working for someone. That is evident. Claiming that I have to precise that the sheriff that beat you up is working on funds alone is utter BS. That is the weakest arguement you ever made.

Huh? No, just being corrupt does not mean you work for someone else. Now, if you mean that by having the official position, he has an official boss, then sure that's true, but that doesn't mean he has access to hundreds of gold beyond the budget he was given. I will also note that beyond saying "corrupt" I never established the type of corruption. And that could make a big difference on not only if any illicit funds exist, but whether or not they are available for having a wizard come and enchant any cells.

Again, you just keep adding to the example things that were never established. For no other reason than to declare it impossible and veto it.

And how many cells would there be? How many would be thus enchanted when more than one was found?

How many cells in a region? I believe earlier I had 30 as an incredibly low estimate. It was something like 8 villages with 2 cells (16) and 2 towns with 4 (8) and a city with 6. Which, again, is INCREDIBLY LOWBALLED. I've included zero forts, zero keeps, zero castles, and only a single city in the entire region.

When more than one what was found? More than one spy? Well, since my example had nothing to do with spies, why are we assuming spies have anything to do with it? Maybe there are no spies, they certainly weren't a common tactic of the medieval world, even if they are in DnD.

But unfortunately the world is there. The thing you control in the world is exactly your character. All the rest must conform to the world. If the world has no Tabaxi, you can't make a Tabaxi character. You have to follow the guidelines given to you by your DM.

And that's the logic you hide behind as you bend and twist things until the only options that are allowed are the ones you like. "I'm sorry, you can't play an urchin who ran away from home after being beaten by law enforcement, it just so happens there has been a massive surge in spies infiltrating every level of society, so your tiny, unimportant village has actually just be been executing people same day. You'll have to make a new character, hey, did I mention that everyone else is from the Church? Maybe you could make an orphan raised to be an acolyte of the church like everyone else did."

There are ways that the world needs to be conformed to, but a rigid world that can't accomodate the players is problematic.

Read the MM. Priests have access to 3rd level spells. IF you limit yourself to the PHB, the only fully religious characters are clerics and druids. (Monks could be arguably religious, but they are more martial than anything else and are more close to philosophical stuff than to religious. But that is debatable and for another thread). We are actually talking about casters here. So why do bring non sensical thing about non casting priests? Of course to use a spell that NPC must be a caster.

Because acknowledging that not every member of the clergy can cast magic is a fact of DnD. It is brought up CONSTANTLY. But again, of course you'll ignore and twist anything that doesn't conform to your vision.

And where do you get that I said that? Is casting a spell a menial labor? Is a general in a military campaign doing menial labor? Of course not! That point is utter BS. A court wizards, a priest, war wizards in armies, all these will work for the crown or lord of the land. Some paid, some to pay their taxes and some out of patriotism.

Just as there is a difference between writing down orders that will deploy troops and writing down how many sheep were born, there is a difference between casting a spell in the castle, and casting a spell in a tiny village on the off-chance they happen to catch a spy and put them in prison.

The purpose of the work is just as important as the work itself.

Logic my friend. Simple plain old logic. To sell something at that price, you need to get it at a lower costs. And if you had travelled just a little bit, you would have seen how in bazaar you can get things for a much much lower price that what is called for in the first place. The prices in the PHB are for the players only.

I don't see any Bazaar listed in the PHB. Give me some page numbers, or, again, are you just making things up.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That is in the eye of the beholder. But getting your powers only from gods and only through prayer and devotion would be ok. Druids could be debatable but since there are gods like Sylvanus...
As for paladin, they can get their spells from "whatever philosophy". Gods are not mandatory.
If the DM allows the alternative religions where clerics can get their abilities from philosophies, gods are not mandatory there, either. My point is that the paladin class talks about gods all throughout the description. That makes them a fully religious class in my eyes. Besides, philosophies that you have faith in to the point of getting paladin powers are also religions. Religions don't need a god.
As for your Bladesigner. Being devout is quite commendable. But your devotion is not on the level a priest/cleric will have with the god.
Except that by RAW, it was. An acolyte is fully capable of not only being a priest, but being a high priest. You don't need to get divine spellcasting to be fully religious.

"...and work with your DM to detail the nature of your religious service. Were you a lesser functionary in a temple, raised from childhood to assist the priests in the sacred rites? Or were you a high priest who suddenly experienced a call to serve your god in a different way?"
The connection is stronger with the god, but maybe it is my background in previous editions that is tainting my perception of what is "fully religious".
This is probably it, though 3e had clerics of philosophies, so you didn't need gods for clerics in that edition, either.

This is literally true of all things. But again, is it the frost burn or the bleeding or the suffocation or the infection that kills you?
Who cares? Not me. System shock is also a thing to consider.

This is a result of you adding things I never said, so that you can debunk them. That is called a strawman. The point I was making is that this glyph would damage the cell, not that it would damage the wall enough for a person to escape. As you already pointed out, there is no way a 1st level character could survive this spell going off. However, considering it would damage the cell, the fact that using this as a containment measure that will eventually require the rebuilding of the cell... again, poor use of resources. As I keep saying.
And I claim it would not. At the very least, it would have resistance. I'd give it immunity unless a special circumstance would come up. A dank cell in a dank dungeon. But we're talking about a jail here.

What does this have to do with standard glass cracking at extreme cold temperatures while scientific grade glass won't because it has fewer impurities?
Some glasses are better than others. Just as some materials are more resistant to others. I don't see the point of saying that stone would be destroyed. You just proved that a good quality glass will resist but not a lesser one. A good stone will resist the same. And guess what? Stone in a prison will be of a good quality. You don't want prisoners to escape don't you?

And this isn't taking place in Eberron, unless you are changing the goal posts AGAIN.

Additionally, Eberron says that 1st and 2nd level spells are widely available, but 3rd and higher are not. And, "tiny village" isn't one that is going to have all the bells and whistles of the city. Including magic.
You brought up Eberron. Not me.

Realms =/= Waterdeep. I don't know why I need to keep reminding you of that? Do you need a map of the realms? Additionally, I don't care that we have an official set of laws for Waterdeep but nowhere else. Assuming all laws are Waterdeep's laws from that, when we KNOW FOR A FACT that is wrong, is just ridiculous.

Witchlight starts "in the realms"? Okay, that could be Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter, Cormyr, Luskan, Icewind Dale. There are lots of places that have laws that aren't Waterdeep. Some of those whose laws we have some insight into because of the Sword Coast Guide. Does it give us an exact legal code for every realm? No, but it certainly gives us enough to know that not everyone on the continent is copying a single city.

Candlekeep is 600 miles away from Waterdeep. Claiming they would share in Waterdeep's laws, while being an independent organization is like claiming that Isreal's laws mirror Egypt's. And they are closer to each other than 600 miles.

Descent to Avernus takes place in Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate does not have the same laws as Waterdeep, especially considering their entirely different ruling classes.

Tomb of Anhilation takes place in CHULT. It isn't even the same REGION as Waterdeep.
You seem to like to remind me of things I already know then for some reasons you decide to ignore your own logic... Not all of these starts in Waterdeep. But all these starts in "civilized" places. Thus all these must have a legal system. Basing yourself on Waterdeep's system is relatively easy as most medieval countries had the same basic laws with some differences, yes, but the basics were close. The same can be assumed. I have a all the FR 1-16 from 1ed and guess what? All legal systems, whenever shown, were close to those of Waterdeep. Your lack of knowledge of previous editions is showing here. But even without that, refusing to acknowledge that like cities would apply the same basics as laws is simply being stubborn.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh may have borrowed from Realms adventures... but it still takes place on an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PLANET.
And? Who cares? You apparently. You know that it can be easily adapted to the Realm don't you?

If your best defense of this idea is that every setting and place in DnD 5e must copy Waterdeep because it is the only legal code you are aware of, then you are making a ludicrous claim.
Just like you. You claim that no cities will have a legal system close to Waterdeep. .

Who says that it will be years between discharges? Are crime rates really that low?
Not necessarily. But if you are warned that the lock is trapped with a deadly spells, and you know that this is a common practice, would you dare to prove the guy wrong or would you acknowledge that and stay quiet as long as you are in jail? Every sensible being would. Who would be stupid enough enough to knowingly touch a 14.5kv elecritcal fence to prove it is not so? Remember this is a world where magic exists. People are aware of it and are more than likely to have seen it into action. So yep. No one would try to discharge it unless death would be near.

Also that "might" can't only be interpreted as "maybe you'll find high level magic in this village" but it is ALSO "you might not find high level magic in big cities." Because, sure, in the modern America you can call a dishwasher repair man to come to your house.... unless you live in somewhere far off, like Alaska. Then you might not have that option. In fact, it is well known that if you live in Alaska, you might not be able to get doctors or ambulances if you are in need of medical help. Depends on where you live.
Ha but we are in a fantasy world! Anything can go!

Because traveling a large distance through hostile territory is dangerous and expensive.
That is new... who said you were in a hostile territory? A small village can be near a megalopolis you know...

I thought he owed his taxes to the Crown? Working for a noble isn't working for the crown. Additionally, since the wizard is (as I showed in the math you refused to accept) likely WEALTHIER than most of the nobles, I don't see him really choosing to work for them.
You know that a baron can own a crown? A baroness can wear one too! A lot of titled lords will represent the Crown. At this point, you are splitting hair.

Huh? No, just being corrupt does not mean you work for someone else. Now, if you mean that by having the official position, he has an official boss, then sure that's true, but that doesn't mean he has access to hundreds of gold beyond the budget he was given. I will also note that beyond saying "corrupt" I never established the type of corruption. And that could make a big difference on not only if any illicit funds exist, but whether or not they are available for having a wizard come and enchant any cells.
But being a constable, sheriff, deputee or whatever means that you are working for someone. You can't be corrupt if you are own boss. Abusive yes. Corrupt? Well, it could depend on your point of view. But being a constable means you work as a representative of the laws of (insert any country, king or whatever you think here).

Again, you just keep adding to the example things that were never established. For no other reason than to declare it impossible and veto it.
Hey! I use your style! Don't like it? Stop using it yourself!

How many cells in a region? I believe earlier I had 30 as an incredibly low estimate. It was something like 8 villages with 2 cells (16) and 2 towns with 4 (8) and a city with 6. Which, again, is INCREDIBLY LOWBALLED. I've included zero forts, zero keeps, zero castles, and only a single city in the entire region.
Good! That is a lot less costly than what you estimated by my standards. I love it when the rich can save money! Just like in real life! We can make a simulationnist out of you yet! There is still hope.

When more than one what was found? More than one spy? Well, since my example had nothing to do with spies, why are we assuming spies have anything to do with it? Maybe there are no spies, they certainly weren't a common tactic of the medieval world, even if they are in DnD.
Your guess is as good as mine. Pick a number. From zero to a few who cares? If a king, lord or whatever thinks that this security is needed, no costs will be too low. This is the kind of thing we see right here right now in our world.

And that's the logic you hide behind as you bend and twist things until the only options that are allowed are the ones you like. "I'm sorry, you can't play an urchin who ran away from home after being beaten by law enforcement, it just so happens there has been a massive surge in spies infiltrating every level of society, so your tiny, unimportant village has actually just be been executing people same day. You'll have to make a new character, hey, did I mention that everyone else is from the Church? Maybe you could make an orphan raised to be an acolyte of the church like everyone else did."
Well, as I said, you should comply with the character creation process that is allowed at a table. I would conform to your rules. Why can't you conform to mine?

There are ways that the world needs to be conformed to, but a rigid world that can't accomodate the players is problematic.
I perfectly accomodate my players. Not you, my players. Remembers that rules are voted by the players too. Majority rules.

Because acknowledging that not every member of the clergy can cast magic is a fact of DnD. It is brought up CONSTANTLY. But again, of course you'll ignore and twist anything that doesn't conform to your vision.
But acknowledge that there are some that can is also canon too! Not all, but some. And these some are called priests. They are in the MM. They can cast 3rd level spells. You are the one insisting that no clergy members can cast spells. Not me.

Just as there is a difference between writing down orders that will deploy troops and writing down how many sheep were born, there is a difference between casting a spell in the castle, and casting a spell in a tiny village on the off-chance they happen to catch a spy and put them in prison.
Again, levels of security is decided by the lord, crown, king, emperor or whomever is in charge. Not the player. Who knows? Maybe the village is near an hostile territory or on a very well traveled road that justifies more that one cell being protected by such spells!

The purpose of the work is just as important as the work itself.
That is the only sensible thing in your argumentation so far.

I don't see any Bazaar listed in the PHB. Give me some page numbers, or, again, are you just making things up.
So you don't acknowledge marketplaces (aka Bazaar)... I did not know that such evidences had to be written down... Ho but wait! There are market places in Baldur's gate maps, Waterdeep's map and in its description in the Dragon's Heist. I bet I could find even more in other books as well... Come on man, stop nitpicking for the fun of it.

If the DM allows the alternative religions where clerics can get their abilities from philosophies, gods are not mandatory there, either. My point is that the paladin class talks about gods all throughout the description. That makes them a fully religious class in my eyes. Besides, philosophies that you have faith in to the point of getting paladin powers are also religions. Religions don't need a god.

Except that by RAW, it was. An acolyte is fully capable of not only being a priest, but being a high priest. You don't need to get divine spellcasting to be fully religious.

"...and work with your DM to detail the nature of your religious service. Were you a lesser functionary in a temple, raised from childhood to assist the priests in the sacred rites? Or were you a high priest who suddenly experienced a call to serve your god in a different way?"

This is probably it, though 3e had clerics of philosophies, so you didn't need gods for clerics in that edition, either.
I know all this. But personnally, I balk at the thought that a non divine caster could be a high priest in a world where god are real and active.

Yet, I could see a divine soul, a tricky bard, or even a paladin taking the mantle when the cleric died until a replacement has been shown by the god.

And yet, I acknowledge that these options are in the PHB and I would allow them. There would be a need to have quite a backstory and we would discuss it not only with me, but with other players.

Religion is very strong in my games. Up to the point that priests (clerics) will not raise a non believer/follower of the god from the dead for any costs. And being devout is more than giving a few copper or gold pieces to the church. The player must show that his character is actively following the precepts of the god(s).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I know all this. But personnally, I balk at the thought that a non divine caster could be a high priest in a world where god are real and active.
I did at one point as well, but when 99% of your priests are not clerics, would you rather have your few spellcasters heading up the church preaching to the masses, or out doing things that the non-spellcasters can't do and advancing your cause?
Yet, I could see a divine soul, a tricky bard, or even a paladin taking the mantle when the cleric died until a replacement has been shown by the god.

And yet, I acknowledge that these options are in the PHB and I would allow them. There would be a need to have quite a backstory and we would discuss it not only with me, but with other players.

Religion is very strong in my games. Up to the point that priests (clerics) will not raise a non believer/follower of the god from the dead for any costs. And being devout is more than giving a few copper or gold pieces to the church. The player must show that his character is actively following the precepts of the god(s).
That's fair. The above is how I look at it now. The DMG says(and I've run my games like this for years) that spellcasters are relatively rare. In my mind a god is going to be utilizing the clerics to do things other than stay at home and be a church administrator.

I did at one point as well, but when 99% of your priests are not clerics, would you rather have your few spellcasters heading up the church preaching to the masses, or out doing things that the non-spellcasters can't do and advancing your cause?

That's fair. The above is how I look at it now. The DMG says(and I've run my games like this for years) that spellcasters are relatively rare. In my mind a god is going to be utilizing the clerics to do things other than stay at home and be a church administrator.
And that is the dichotomy of 5ed. Spellcasters are relatively rare. And yet, how many non spell casting classes are there? Even the fighter and rogues have spell casters. Hell! Even a lot of the Barbarian subclasses look like spell casters...

A rarity of spellcasters should imply minimal stat requirements. 14 wisdom for clerics for examples and subclasses receiving a second requirement. I could totally see a knowledge cleri with a minimum intelligence of 13 as a requirement. A war cleric with 13 strength minimal score or a trickster cleric with a Dexterity of no less that 13... Same with wizard, minimum of 14 in Intelligence but depending on the school, other stats would spring into the requirered stats. I could see an enchanter with a 13 in charisma. And so forth....

As it is now. There are only requirements for multiclassing and these are ridiculously low.

And the books tries to tell me that casters are relatively rare? Am I truly supposed to believe that as the rules do not support that claim? At least in 1ed and 2ed there were true restrictions on casters.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And that is the dichotomy of 5ed. Spellcasters are relatively rare. And yet, how many non spell casting classes are there? Even the fighter and rogues have spell casters. Hell! Even a lot of the Barbarian subclasses look like spell casters...

A rarity of spellcasters should imply minimal stat requirements. 14 wisdom for clerics for examples and subclasses receiving a second requirement. I could totally see a knowledge cleri with a minimum intelligence of 13 as a requirement. A war cleric with 13 strength minimal score or a trickster cleric with a Dexterity of no less that 13... Same with wizard, minimum of 14 in Intelligence but depending on the school, other stats would spring into the requirered stats. I could see an enchanter with a 13 in charisma. And so forth....

As it is now. There are only requirements for multiclassing and these are ridiculously low.

And the books tries to tell me that casters are relatively rare? Am I truly supposed to believe that as the rules do not support that claim? At least in 1ed and 2ed there were true restrictions on casters.
The PHB classes are for PCs and PCs are a special case. That's why they have so much spellcasting available. There are only a very small number of PCs in the world, so even if every last one chooses to be a spellcaster, it doesn't contradict the rarity of spellcasters as stated in the DMG.

The PHB classes are for PCs and PCs are a special case. That's why they have so much spellcasting available. There are only a very small number of PCs in the world, so even if every last one chooses to be a spellcaster, it doesn't contradict the rarity of spellcasters as stated in the DMG.
Just look at the PoTA. So many NPC casters as the enemies of the PCs. And it is not the only one where casting NPC are numerous. And a lot of the NPCs that are friendly patrons for the PCs are casters themselves. Yeah... casters are rare in 5ed...:rolleyes:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Just look at the PoTA. So many NPC casters as the enemies of the PCs. And it is not the only one where casting NPC are numerous. And a lot of the NPCs that are friendly patrons for the PCs are casters themselves. Yeah... casters are rare in 5ed...:rolleyes:
I don't count adventures. They're written by too many different people to please a wide variety of player type, including those who like spellcasters. They aren't really indicative of the core book defaults.

The other thing to consider is that PCs encounter things more often than the general populace does. I mean, if monster encounter rates for PCs were the standard rate for NPCs in the world, the world would be dead. All the PC races would have long since been wiped out. ;)

The same goes for spellcasters. There might only be a few dozen in the entire country, but those are the ones that the PCs run into.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Who cares? Not me. System shock is also a thing to consider.

Yes, it should be considered. One of the only forms of System Shock from Cold that we have is the Cold Shock of being submerged in water. Here's a link

Most of the causes of death? Drowning, either because you gasp and breath in water, or you fall unconscious and hypothermia from staying in cold water for MINUTES kills you.

And you still haven't addressed the undeniable fact that 8d8 cold damage in the spell Cone of Cold specifically talks about being frozen solid. It takes a stupid amount of cold to freeze a body solid in seconds. Instead, you keep talking about things that will cause secondary effects which will kill you. You can keep denying it, but the cold from DnD cold spells is EXTREME.

And I claim it would not. At the very least, it would have resistance. I'd give it immunity unless a special circumstance would come up. A dank cell in a dank dungeon. But we're talking about a jail here.

And resistance does jack all to prevent damage, it just lessens the damage. Which will still build up over time and will eventually require the walls and bars to be replaced. And it could easily be dank or even humid in the jail cell. Climate Control doesn't exist and it is always possible for this glyph to be activated during a rainy day.

And of course you would give it immunity, I'd expect nothing less after you've fought so hard to try and prove it would be immune to damage. That doesn't mean i have any reason to agree with you, especially since you are so clearly biased.

Some glasses are better than others. Just as some materials are more resistant to others. I don't see the point of saying that stone would be destroyed. You just proved that a good quality glass will resist but not a lesser one. A good stone will resist the same. And guess what? Stone in a prison will be of a good quality. You don't want prisoners to escape don't you?

Impurities and imperfections. Tell me, how many jail cells are going to be made of smooth stone? Is it going to be made out of granite or out of Quartzite? Are we talking about hand-sized bricks and mortar or man-sized stones?

You declare confidently that a jail will be made out of good quality stone... but we are talking about a small village that may not have a single stone building, so no, the jail cell might not even be made of stone, because small villages didn't have those sorts of resources, they used wattle and daub, or cob, or clay.

And, again, I like how you keep going from "damaged" to "destroyed". You can keep acting like you don't read my posts, but that doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to forget my own words.

You brought up Eberron. Not me.

Because you started listing settings to prove that the Forgotten Realms is the only setting and forgot it. Like somehow it wasn't a published setting that actually exists.

You seem to like to remind me of things I already know then for some reasons you decide to ignore your own logic... Not all of these starts in Waterdeep. But all these starts in "civilized" places. Thus all these must have a legal system. Basing yourself on Waterdeep's system is relatively easy as most medieval countries had the same basic laws with some differences, yes, but the basics were close. The same can be assumed. I have a all the FR 1-16 from 1ed and guess what? All legal systems, whenever shown, were close to those of Waterdeep. Your lack of knowledge of previous editions is showing here. But even without that, refusing to acknowledge that like cities would apply the same basics as laws is simply being stubborn.

First, let's look back on your claim: "For the moment, all adventures written has been with Waterdeep in mind save two?" This was 100% false, not true by even the most extreme stretching.

But, why did you start bringing up Waterdeep? Well, it was for this bit "Yep. Depending on the amount the pick pocket might be hanged. If you have the Waterdeep legal system, you will see that death is not automatic. Probable, but not automatic. But you discovered a corrupt official. Your chances of going to jail are next to nothing.

Again, there are degrees in various crimes and their sentences. Read the legal system of Waterdeep as a basis.
"

And why did you bring up that? Oh right, because you made a completely self-contradictory statement: "Pick pockets and drunk will not try to escape as their lives will not be endangered. Spies and criminals on the other hand..."

Originally it was that all character put in jail were hanged the next day, medieval laws and all that. You SPECIFICALLY said you wanted medieval laws as justice. Then when I pointed out that no one is going to be putting this sort of security up for drunks and pickpockets (you know, small village and all, it isn't like there is a bunch of major crime) you switched gears and said that pick-pockets might not be that important but criminals would be. When I pointed out that that statement is ludicrious, because pickpockets ARE criminals, you started turning to Waterdeep's laws to start saying that, against your own earlier point that all criminals would be hung within a day or two of going to jail, that in Waterdeep and its controlled regions that was different.

And since then you have been pounding this drum, we are playing in Waterdeep, Waterdeep is the place that matters, the laws of Waterdeep are our model for all possible settings. Even though I keep reminding you that... not everywhere is Waterdeep and Waterdeep's laws are not necessarily going to apply to everything.

And once more you try and shame me into not pointing out your own hypocrisy by making this about 1st edition, or 2nd edition and how I clearly am wrong for going into 5th edition without an encyclopedic knowledge of these older editions, when all I am proving is... the laws of one city are not universal as the laws of every possible city, town and village in every single setting.

And know you want to try and hide behind something as basic as "cities would have similar laws". Would they? Sure, murder and theft are generally illegal, but the punishment for stealing a waterskin in the swamp is likely different than stealing one in a desert. Maybe a place has the death penalty for crimes, maybe it is maiming, maybe it is slavery, but you keep insisting that all places share Waterdeep's laws, which is laughable.

And? Who cares? You apparently. You know that it can be easily adapted to the Realm don't you?

So? Your statement that you seem to be willfully ignoring was "For the moment, all adventures written has been with Waterdeep in mind save two?" Just because you can adapt it doesn't mean that Greyhawk is in Waterdeep.

So, yes, I do care that you seem to have no idea where anything is located, yet you constantly try and shame and lecture me.

Just like you. You claim that no cities will have a legal system close to Waterdeep. .

No, I said their legal system isn't guaranteed to be Waterdeep's legal system. Which it isn't. Some places might have similar laws? Of course they might, but that isn't a guarantee, and we KNOW that it isn't true of all places.

Not necessarily. But if you are warned that the lock is trapped with a deadly spells, and you know that this is a common practice, would you dare to prove the guy wrong or would you acknowledge that and stay quiet as long as you are in jail? Every sensible being would. Who would be stupid enough enough to knowingly touch a 14.5kv elecritcal fence to prove it is not so? Remember this is a world where magic exists. People are aware of it and are more than likely to have seen it into action. So yep. No one would try to discharge it unless death would be near.

Like say, the fact that you originally claimed that "You know that jail in these times (medieval) was not the same as jail in ours. Very rarely would a prisonner survive. They would not care to give sustenance to the person unless that, from that person they could muster some ransom for. If not, you were not beaten up, but simply hanged, publicly in a matter of a day or two."

So, unless death would be near... like the near certainty of being hanged in a matter of a day or two? Or starving to death because no one bothered to bring sustenance?

Again, your own arguments defeat your own point. If I know my options are to starve to death, die in a few days from hanging, or try to escape and hope that the wizard that services the jail of Mudville hasn't been called since the last person was in here... well even if I'm wrong it is a quicker and less painful death.

Ha but we are in a fantasy world! Anything can go!

Funny, last post you were all "logic, logic tells us this" and now it is "This is fantasy, abandon all logic, anything goes". IT seems that once more it is only your own opinion that matters, and the facts will change to support you now matter what.

That is new... who said you were in a hostile territory? A small village can be near a megalopolis you know...

It could be, or it could be in the middle of the boonies. But let me ask you, how many times can your PCs travel without you rolling a potential random encounter that could include monsters or bandits? I'm sure for this you'll suddenly have this small unimportant village be on a road patrolled by the King's Guard and within only a mile of the capitol, but not all small villages are like that. Maybe I wanted my character to be from farther out, but I guess you'd tell me that I can't do that because reasons.

You know that a baron can own a crown? A baroness can wear one too! A lot of titled lords will represent the Crown. At this point, you are splitting hair.

Representing the Crown isn't the same as being that Crown, and that isn't splitting hairs when one claim is loyal and the other is a coup.

But being a constable, sheriff, deputee or whatever means that you are working for someone. You can't be corrupt if you are own boss. Abusive yes. Corrupt? Well, it could depend on your point of view. But being a constable means you work as a representative of the laws of (insert any country, king or whatever you think here).

And just because you work for the mayor on paper doesn't mean the mayor is the one actually in charge, but again, having a boss doesn't mean you suddenly have more money than you did before.

Hey! I use your style! Don't like it? Stop using it yourself!

So is this a second admission that you are just dragging this out to troll me? That you don't actually believe any of this and are just trying to "get back at me" because of some perceived slight or dislike of how I post?

I mean, you are starting to just flat out lie at this rate, so it wouldn't shock me, but you'd think you'd let someone like @Maxperson in on the fact that this is just a ruse to punish me.

Good! That is a lot less costly than what you estimated by my standards. I love it when the rich can save money! Just like in real life! We can make a simulationnist out of you yet! There is still hope.

I was using this 30 cell model when I estimated those costs. That alone was enough to put this wizard as extremely wealthy, and it is a severe lowball estimate. Instead of celebrating my simulationist abilities, maybe you should acknowledge that your claims are just ludicrous.

Your guess is as good as mine. Pick a number. From zero to a few who cares? If a king, lord or whatever thinks that this security is needed, no costs will be too low. This is the kind of thing we see right here right now in our world.

And how many kings who thought that way bankrupted their countries? Oh, right, all of them? I mean, spies being in a tiny village with nothing of importance are unlikely enough, but putting anti-spy measures there at huge costs just because is insane.

Well, as I said, you should comply with the character creation process that is allowed at a table. I would conform to your rules. Why can't you conform to mine?

Because your "rules" seem to exist solely to control me for no other reason than your own need to assert dominance. None of this has been reasonable at any level, it is just attempts at forced obeisance.

I perfectly accomodate my players. Not you, my players. Remembers that rules are voted by the players too. Majority rules.

Yeah, I remember you claiming that. Funnily enough I even brought up how strange it was that in a discussion involving 2 people I seemed to keep getting outvoted by "the group" even though the majority would be us agreeing with each other.

But acknowledge that there are some that can is also canon too! Not all, but some. And these some are called priests. They are in the MM. They can cast 3rd level spells. You are the one insisting that no clergy members can cast spells. Not me.

No, yet again, this is a strawman and a blatant ignoring of my actual post. In fact, you again literally just contradicted yourself and agreed with my actual post.

You before: "In fact, if you follow the rule and only have access to the MM (and no splat book) all priests in a church are fifth level (not counting acolytes) so all priests in a small village can and will provide this service."

Me before: "Except for the repeated truth that not all priests and acolytes have access to spellcasting"

You Now: "Not all, but some. And these some are called priests."

So, if you ignore the DMG and PHB then you can make a ludicrous claim, one that you no longer stand by as you try and shift me from saying "not all priests" to "no priests" Again, strawmanning my actual position.

Again, levels of security is decided by the lord, crown, king, emperor or whomever is in charge. Not the player. Who knows? Maybe the village is near an hostile territory or on a very well traveled road that justifies more that one cell being protected by such spells!

Uh huh, this is just a thinly veiled "I as the DM will do whatever I can to kill your character concept" You don't like me, so you are going to call anything I come up with or argue unreasonable, and twist yourself in knots to deny a concept that didn't even need denying.

So you don't acknowledge marketplaces (aka Bazaar)... I did not know that such evidences had to be written down... Ho but wait! There are market places in Baldur's gate maps, Waterdeep's map and in its description in the Dragon's Heist. I bet I could find even more in other books as well... Come on man, stop nitpicking for the fun of it.

So, you are relying on a marketplace existing, which in no way provides alternative "NPC only" pricing. So, again, your claim that the PHB prices are only for players and that NPCs will have different, much lower prices is just your own baseless claims, founded on rules for other games and not 5e.

Whether or not a marketplace exists doesn't mean that the prices in the PHB don't apply to all people equally.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases