• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Sacred Cow Slaughterhouse: Ideas you think D&D's better without

Dwimmerlied

First Post
All of them. That said, it's a toolbox, not a straightjacket. Maybe I want some Elric-influenced Law v. Chaos game next time out or get inspired to play with some sacred cow I normally am tired of (like the drow, who I've been dealing with since '79).

My friend, if we ever debate, you can legitimately say that you have been gaming since before I was born :D Also, I only recently began to read Elric. The alignment system was the most interesting element I've taken from it; I'd like to see that take on the dynamic more of a focus.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
That classes must be equal in power at all levels.

Actually, yeah. I don't know how much of a sacred cow it is, but I'd personally be happy throw away some of the level-associated straightjackets; wealth is one of them, because it gets in the way of my fantasy. But to be honest it is pretty radical, and probably wouldn't stand up to much debate :)

Zireael

Explorer
I'd throw out the sacred cow of "Thou Shalt Not Deviate From What is Written".

Really, people take the rules too seriously. The DMG needs to resemble Gygax's DMG more.

steenan

Adventurer
I'm not sure what the OP really asks about.

Is it how the D&D should change to achieve some abstract perfection? To be played by more people? Or how it should change for me to consider spending money on it?

I'm nearly sure that to get me to but the game (at the price level I expect for PHB+DMG+MM) WotC would need to slaughter quite a lot of sacred cows and make a lot of people furious. Each time I read about making a game for all playstyles and not alienating anyone (in other words, not really supporting any play style), I'm reminded I'm not in the target group.

Let's just say that, for me, 4e was a step in good direction, but it didn't go far enough. ;)

N'raac

First Post
I'd throw out the sacred cow of "Thou Shalt Not Deviate From What is Written".

Really, people take the rules too seriously. The DMG needs to resemble Gygax's DMG more.

So which is it? Gygax wrote a very controversial article in a Dragon Magazine many years ago where he stated if you're deviating from the rules, you are no longer playing D&D. IIRC(AITID), the 1e DMG also suggests a non-DM possessing the book is something less than worthy of an honorable death.

Remove ads