D&D General The Satanic Panic never really died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think, though, if you wanted this thread to come up with Enworld’s best, most thoughtful and helpful advice for the daughter, you might’ve asked for that when linking to the tweet in the first place.
It was an actual quote. It shows up verbatim and is the main thing in the post, other than an aside from me.

Celebrim

Legend
I apologize, what film is this?

Ok, fine, at the risk of greater controversy I was making reference to Connecticut because Salem was the site of the most famous occult scare in the history of the United States, and linking that history of intolerance which is relevant to the current thread, to the present equally well intention-ed but misguided attempts by that state to protect the public from undesirable speech with laws like CT Gen Stat 53-37 that criminalize ridicule - despite such a law probably not passing Constitutional muster under past interpretations by the SCOTUS of compelling interest. Because that's just how my autistic head works, and my assumption is that there is some nerd out there that will get all my obscure references, have a chuckle about it, without having to get in some lame political argument.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Ok, fine, at the risk of greater controversial I was making reference to Connecticut because Salem was the site of the most famous occult scare in the history of the United States, and linking that history of intolerance which is relevant to the current thread, to the present equally well intention-ed but misguided attempts by that state to protect the public from undesirable speech with laws like CT Gen Stat 53-37 that criminalize ridicule - despite such a law probably not passing Constitutional muster under past interpretations by the SCOTUS of compelling interest. Because that's just how my autistic head works, and my assumption is that there is some nerd out there that will get all my obscure references, have a chuckle about it, without having to get in some lame political argument.
Excellent, excellent, excellent.

I approve.

Oofta

Legend
I think everyone here can agree that DnD truly leads to only one thing:

A crippling addiction to buying dice! YES! More shine math stones! MOOOOOORE! Click clack click clack mwuahahahaha

What? Just because I have a bucket o' dice at home doesn't mean I have a problem. I can quit any time I want. I just need a few more for my next character because maybe they will roll better! :p

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Thus is your opinion, which you have the right to hold. I think the central idea here is not that we must not be sensitive, it is that we must not ignore fact to engage the ideas of others.

WotC is a company, and does not deal in social justice or engagement. Their only goal is to earn enough to perpetuate D&D, and to improve their products, so that they may forever become more fun to use.

You're wrong. They do.

And according to Mike Mearls anyone who is opposed to that is 'fired'.

Undrave

Legend
What? Just because I have a bucket o' dice at home doesn't mean I have a problem. I can quit any time I want. I just need a few more for my next character because maybe they will roll better! :p

you can't expect me to play my DWARF DRUID with the same coloured dice I used for my HUMAN BARD! That's ridiculous!

This reminds me...I still need some darker dice for my Way of Shadow Monk!

Nagol

Unimportant
I think everyone here can agree that DnD truly leads to only one thing:

A crippling addiction to buying dice! YES! More shine math stones! MOOOOOORE! Click clack click clack mwuahahahaha

I don't bring any dice to my games. I borrow other peoples'. I do have a few polyhedrals in a bag somewhere and most of the games that use d6 have theirs in their box, but dice aren't a vice of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads