D&D General The Satanic Panic never really died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Tangential to any discussion on religious views, I can only sing the merits of D&D and roleplaying games in general. For me personally, they've helped me develop a reading and writing ability beyond my years, develop a solid and lifelong group of close friends, develop social and problem solving skills that I get to use daily in my work-role, develop and foster my creativity and channel my imagination. Without D&D and roleplaying games, I'll be all the poorer for it.

People in this thread are going around in circles over tolerance and sensitivity over the mother's beliefs.

I don't care. In my opinion, such a discussion is a waste of time. Why? Because the mother and the ideology she is speaking from is coming from a position of power. She is not the vulnerable one in this exchange.

What is the Satanic Panic? Stripped to its core, its one of many manifestations the older generation attempting to limit and curate the media that the younger generation can consume far past the point of what can be argued as reasonable, the methods of which are the use of coercion and threats made against the younger generation, whether directly or ondirectly, whether against soul or against body.

Fundamentally, it is the anti-intellectual fear of creativity and imagination. It is about control and the abuse thereof. It is about indoctrination, about the spreading of suspicion and fear. It is the powerful exerting undue influence on the powerless by narrowing their view of the world to a window as narrow as the opening of a well, and the powerful hope the powerless are as frogs trapped in the bottom. No matter what belief or ideology those malign beliefs and their resultant behaviours arise out from, I cannot defend them. And I am profoundly digusted by those who do so in earnest despite the damage that the expression of those beliefs can cause.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I don’t think Mike Mearls speaks for them any more.

Well, he once did at any rate. And I don't think he was removed for his words on inclusiveness.

I think it is clear that the designers of 5e both care about and express messages of inclusiveness and non-judgement through the game.

It's possible to both have a job with the goal of making money and also care about others.

I don’t have an answer because I don’t know the dynamics there and I don’t think it’s good to give advice to a woman about her mother and their religion when I don’t know them.

I imagine, if I did know them and they knew I was coming from a place of understanding and love, I would say something like “Hug your mom, tell her you love her and thank her for caring so much.”

And it seems like her tweet did get some positive, good answers and advice. Also some negative, derisive comments about her mother. There are some follow up tweets in which the poster has to defend her mother from some really nasty stuff. It’s the internet, so I suppose a certain amount of negativity is unavoidable.

I think, though, if you wanted this thread to come up with Enworld’s best, most thoughtful and helpful advice for the daughter, you might’ve asked for that when linking to the tweet in the first place.
Morrus posted something quite interesting about D&D with its history with the Satanic Panic. Last I checked Enworld was also a news site.
People have expressed their disappointment over the views expressed. But no one has been up and down over her case. I am sure we are still free to express disappointment over someone's views.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Morrus posted something quite interesting about D&D with its history with the Satanic Panic. Last I checked Enworld was also a news site.
People have expressed their disappointment over the views expressed. But no one has been up and down over her case. I am sure we are still free to express disappointment over someone's views.
Yeah. I don’t have a problem with disagreement.

Heck, I disagree with the mom’s views. (And it would be pretty weird of me to be on a d&d forum and playing d&d if I didn’t disagree with those views).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads