D&D 5E The story got out of hand need advice

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
That's the other thing. Sometimes campaigns just fizzle out. It happens. If you are not enjoying it, end it. That might mean planning one last epic game, or just pulling the plug so that you can step back, recharge and plan another. Maybe someone else run a game for a bit while you plan the new one.

There is nothing wrong with stopping - you need to enjoy it too.

S'mon

Legend
I think the best bet might be to bring the game to an Epic conclusion as the PCs storm the Abyss or otherwise take out a BBEG, then start a new game at 1st level with new PCs, sticking to the treasure guidelines.

Alternatively, artifacts normally 'move on' when it's their time to go, this might be after defeating aforesaid BBEG.

You can also do an in-game reality shift; a change in the magical flux, a spellplague etc tones down the power of the artifacts. Or the PCs are transported to another universe where the items are less powerful - Moorcock did this a lot with Stormbringer etc, so there is literary precedent. :D

If unsure, suggest several options to the players and see what they prefer.

wedgeski

Adventurer
If your players understand the problem, and they're on-board with a reset, go with it. Bring the current campaign to a head with something insane and memorable!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Campaigns fizzle out all the time for all sorts of reasons. You had some fun with that game for a while and learnt important tips as a DM.

Now onto the next game!

Wik

First Post
Honestly? Finish the campaign. Grit your teeth, and bear it. Tie up whatever plots you have hanging as quickly as possible, throw something tough at them, and let the chips fall where they may. If you like your campaign world, you begin again... ten years later. Or twenty. Or whatever.

The previous PCs' actions have had an effect on the world, but now the region needs NEW heroes. Make new PCs, learn from your past mistakes, and go from there.

The guy that likes his PC gets a finale to his story; the guy that wants to start again can do that, eventually.

In the new campaign, maybe dial down the new stuff you're adding (magic items, class expansions, etc) until you've got a firm grip on the art of running a game. Nothing kills a game quicker than self designed stuff. I had the same thing happen to me recently - I converted a race from 4e into 5e that was "needed" for my campaign world... and had the only player who was interested in playing them take one long look and say "You realize these are uselessly broken, right?"

And he was right, more's the pity.

We all make mistakes. Tell your players and get them to help fix the problems when they come up, and you're already more than halfway there.

jgsugden

Legend
S'mon has it right: End it. Write an ending to the campaign and let the heroes retire a success ... and then start over.

The game works best when you stick closest to the recommended guidelines for power - only a few magic items, point buy rather than rolled stats that get them to 20 at level 1, etc...

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
Another option is to just throw high CR monsters at them, and make them fight smart. Let them know that their artifacts are attracting a lot of attention, and word is spreading in unsavory circles.

D&D is like being in a war-torn country, so it's dangerous enough already, but add in the million/billion dollar artifacts they're carrying around, and people are going to pay attention. What do they do when an entire mercenary company of 200 ambushes them? What about an archmage and a couple balors he summoned? Boost the CR and try severely testing them. Don't make it unfun, but let them know they've become instant legends and have moved into a new area of the game because of the treasure.

Look at what got thrown at the Fellowship of the Ring when Sauron heard a hobbit found the ring. Epic level Ring Wraiths? Check. Orc armies? Check. Crazy archmage Saruman? Check. That's what happens when artifacts of legendary power fall into the hands of unsuspecting people. You can just roll with this game changing into something bigger, more epic, and more dangerous.

I completely agree with this post! I call it the P.A.P. rule, and anyone who'd played with me as DM for any amount of time get's to know it at one point or another.

Power Attracts Power

The more you use, the more likely someone notices.

There are three players.

Ok-with-a-reset player.
Wants-to-stay-as-is player.
And you.

If 2/3 are cool with starting over, do that.

What would be cool is if you play a couple of big sessions with armies that wreak havoc seeking the artefacts, holding an entire city to ransom unless handed over.

Make them gods, why not.

The PCs either hand them in or don't and fight but either way, mass death. Such that you can "pull back from the penseive" as though they'd been shown their future.

Remove ads