• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Theocracy

WarlockLord

First Post
Enemy commander is 2000 feet away, and surrounded by a wall of troops.

Still meed actions for Arast and Janelle (I know Arast finishes summoning, but not creature stats, critter actions, or movement.)

fenixdown

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Alright, in the six seconds we've fought, the commander saw us beat up stuff and decided to send in some monks over a distance of... 1880 feet. In one round.
Ha ha! I kid. Because even monks aren't that fast. Which leaves us with two possibilities: either the commander's already in range, or we've got time before the monks get here, in which case I vote we buff, finish them off, and go meet the commander personally (depending on how many troops, exactly, this wall contains). Or at least get close enough for our hunter to get off a good shot.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
fenixdown said:
[sblock=OOC]Alright, in the six seconds we've fought, the commander saw us beat up stuff and decided to send in some monks over a distance of... 1880 feet. In one round.
Ha ha! I kid. Because even monks aren't that fast. Which leaves us with two possibilities: either the commander's in range, or we've got time before the monks get here, in which case I vote we buff, finish them off, and go meet the commander personally (depending on how many troops, exactly, this wall contains).
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I imagine the commander did not send the monks from his location, they probably enimated from the trees much like this earlier group had. I think we should be able to contain this next rush, hope for a brief respite maybe, but if you think this onslaught might be endless, we have a few options:

1) Stand group, defend ourselves from each SpellKiller Squad.
2) Crowd control, fight ourselves through the wall of enemies to the commander.
3) Split up, one stays and fights the squads, the other fly in overhead and eliminate the commander.

I know it is possible for Latham himself to cast Greater Invisibility, Fly, and cast from a distance on his little group, but it's risky. We'd need to know what the commander is like, what the troops are like (1st level mooks, Hobgoblin zombies, etc) before we wade in there.

Should we take these discussions to the recruiting thread or an OOC, just so we don't flood this thread?
[/sblock]

fenixdown

First Post
[sblock=OOC]The commander somehow communicated to the monks that he wanted them to attack us, which seems like it'd be difficult to do at that large a distance. (It's not like they have radios.) Or maybe not. In any case, taking him out shouldn't be too hard if we can get at him. My vote is for attacking from the air. Then we just run away.

And yeah, we probably need an OOC thread.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Autumn

First Post
Arast chants the final words of his conjuration and finishes the complex gestures with a grand sweep of his arms, leaving them upraised as if heralding the start of some performance. There's one brief moment when it seems that the dramatic show was for nothing, as no effect is apparent. A second later the spell manifests, momentarily tearing open the sky between the attackers and the camp. Perhaps fortunately for the onlookers, nothing can be clearly seen through the rift. There is only a roiling storm of clashing colours and the vague impression of something alive and squirming - and then a screeching mass of flesh and feathers comes hurtling through and, in its wake, the tear seals up and is gone as quickly as it appeared.

The creature bears some superficial resemblance to a griffon, in that its basic form seems to conform to the hind-quarters of a lion and the wings, head and forelegs of a giant eagle. For all that, it would be hard to mistake the thing for a real griffon. To that basic shape, the chaotic maelstrom that has warped the being has given endless embellishments of fleshy tentacles and pseudopods, writhing about disturbingly to give the impression that the thing is not so much flying as it is threshing and squirming through the air.

Sighting its targets on the ground, the being gives an awful gargling squawk and swoops down towards them, diving onto one of the second wave of monks and ripping mercilessly into him.

Arast gives a small grin as he watches the thing that he has conjured dive down into the enemy's ranks. There's something rather satisfying about tearing apart the tools of a solipsistic God using an entity spat out by the obscure fringes of a whole different paradigm.

But, of course, now's not the time to enjoy the rather academic pleasures of that particular irony. Surveying the scene, Arast quickly comes to the conclusion that his compatriots seem to have the battle well in hand for the most part. The ghostly undead with its incessant murmuring is something of an unknown factor, though. Judging by the noise, it must be an allip - but there's no way to tell how powerful it is. In any case, best to take no chances if possible.

"Don't listen to the muttering," he warns, calling out loud enough for his voice to carry over the noise of the fight.

He can only hope that his allies have the good sense to accept that advice, rather than taking it as a spur to their curiosity; at any rate, he's done all he can. The next thing is to slow down the arrival of more reinforcements. Preparing himself and calling an invocation to mind, he waits for the opportune moment.

[sblock=Pseudonatural Griffon]
Pseudonatural Griffon:
Large Outsider
HD 7d10+35 (73 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30', Fly 80' (average)
AC 17 (touch 11, flat-footed 15)
BAB/Grapple: +7/+17
Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+6) and 2 claws +10 melee (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Pounce, Rake 1d6+3, True Strike
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, scent, Alternate Form, DR 5/magic, Acid and Electricity Resistance 5, Spell Resistance 17
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Jump +10, Listen +6, Spot +10
Feats: Iron Will, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite)

Pounce (Ex.): If a griffon dives upon or charges a foe, it can make a full attack including two rake attacks.
Rake (Ex.): Attack bonus +10 melee, damage 1d6+3
Alternate Form (Su): As a standard action, a pseudonatural griffon can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass (though this alien appearance has no effect on the creature's abilities). Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against the creature when it is in this alternate form.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Griffon Charge Attack (on one of the monks with the incorporeal undead):
Bite 23 (<8>+15), Damage 15 (<3,6>+6)
Claw #1 29 (<17>+12), Damage 4 (<1>+3)
Claw #2 28 (<16>+12), Damage 6 (<3>+3)
Rake #1 17 (<5>+12), Damage 8 (<5>+3)
Rake #2 15 (<3>+12), Damage 8 (<5>+3)

Knowledge (Religion) for Dark Knowledge on the Undead: 38 (<17>+21) = +3 bonus on everyone's saves against any of the creature's abilities. 4/5 uses left today. I've assumed that the thing is an allip, and therefore the babbling is the most relevant thing to warn against. If I was wrong then let me know, and I'll edit my post.

Dark Knowledge is a move action, completing a full round casting isn't an action... so I've still got a standard action.

Ready an action to cast Flame Strike on the next bunch of enemies who come within range (200 ft.). Damage 34 (<6,5,5,4,3,3,2,2,2,2>), DC 20 ref save for half. [/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Janelle springs from the tower, spreading her quartet of gosamer wings to carry her aloft and closer towards her sister as she focuses a fully powered blast, this time targeting one of the new monk's coming in, seeing that her friends have the first group in check. "We must Get out of here, we won't hold them off forever once they stop sending their forces in piece-meal"

[sblock=actions]
Move 40' towards Ilshana, staying about 20' off the ground.
Maximized Eldritch Blast Attack: NAT 20 Confirm= Touch AC 21, Damge = 42 (84 if Crit).
Also, if it IS an Allip, my will save vs the babbling would be +15. (+9 normal +3 vs Mind Affecting + the 3 bonus from Dark Knowledge)
[/sblock]

WarlockLord

First Post
Round two summary

Janelle opens fire first. One of the new monks literally explodes. It is a rather disgusting spectacle. Latham casts his spell on his friends, making them faster. The Hunter shoots Lefty and he goes down with four arrows through the head. The blackguard brings down righty, and cleaves into Mr. Monk, but misses with that and the third attack. Nathira punches the original Monk. Caul shoots a mental blast at the other incoming monk. The monk yawns and seems utterly unaffected. The original monk throws off his paralysis and attacks Nathira with a lightning fast sequence of punches, kicks, headbutts, and elbow strikes, which all happen to miss. The cleric is unable to affect the undead. Arast chants and summons his demon-thing, which dives down on the last monk and hits with it's deadly bite and claws. Ilshana misses.

The last monk and undead cautiously advance 40 ft.

Two clerics teleport in 20 feet behind you guys. Arast hits them with a flame strike. Neither of them are prepared, so they take full damage. Begin round 3.

Mista Collins

First Post
With his experience against the Brothers of the ONE, Hunter knows his arrows aren't as effective against the trained monks. How some of them knock deflected a well trained shot, is beyond him, but that isn't going to stop him from firing at them later. First, let's take care of the easier targets.

With the two clerics closer to the group and already injured, Hunter salivates at the idea of close prey. Hastily drawing the black shafted arrows from his magical quiver and drawing them back on the string, he fires four more arrows in rapid succession at the monk advancing with the undead.

[sblock=ooc]Attack Roll #1: 34
Damage Roll #1: 18

Attack Roll #2: 26
Damage Roll #2: 18

Attack Roll #3: 32
Damage Roll #3: 16

Attack Roll #4: 34
Damage Roll #4: 15

He is focusing these attacks on the two clerics that just appeared and were Flame Striked. Starting with one, he will put as many arrows in him as needed to drop him. The moment he drops, the other arrows will go to the 2nd cleric. If the 2nd cleric drops and Hunter has some shots remaining, he will try and attack the undead creature (inwhich case take off -2 damage due to undead being his 2nd favored enemy)[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Janelle grimaces in disgust 'Guess I used a bit TOO much power...' She thinks to herself, focusing another blast on the second (far away) Monk, landing beside her sister.

[sblock=actions]
another Maximized E.Blast at the other monk, move action to land beside Ilshana (I assume she was within 80' of the tower?)
Attack roll 32, 42 damage.
*rolled a 19. Damn, too bad I don't have improved crit.. Two explosions in a row woulda been cool.*[/sblock]
OOC:Also, doesn't really matter b/c he missed with all attacks, but w/ Regards to the monk : Shaking off Hold Person is a Full Round Action.

ethandrew

First Post
Latham notes the immediate threat transport in behind him being wracked in pain by Arast's firespell and greets it with a smile. However, if the mage was paying less attention, Latham could find himself in a precarious position facing two fully armed and armored priests. He needs his protection, and as Dehg has been less than stellar against the first onrush, not even hitting one single target, Latham quickly cups his hands over his mouth and shouts loudly to the Ogre, "Dehg, here now!"

The giant's head turns, making brief eye contact with his charge before the small man utterly disappeared. Nonplussed, Dehg has seen this before and knows that attackers are near, so he steps out of the fraccas and meets the two burnt assailants head on, hoping one long swing will take them both down.

[sblock=OOC]Latham will cast Invisibility on himself and move 50' out of the way. Dehg will charge in, stopping 15' before the first cleric and meeting them with a large swing. His first attack is 31 to Hit, 24 to Damage. If that proves fatal, his Cleave is 25 to Hit, 31 to Damage.[/sblock]
Edit: If the two clerics are dead by the time it's Dehg's turn, Latham will call out to him so that Dehg will stand nearby and guard the invisible Latham. Spells cast: Hold Person, Invisibility, Haste

Last edited:

Remove ads