• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Tielfling and The Gnome: On the Set of 4th edition

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Klaus said:
The tiefling sounded and behaved exactly like a dude playing a bad grrrrl does.

The video was alright, but I wish they refrained from the "kicking the animal" bit in the end. Didn't like it when Shrek and Fiona made baloons from animals in a kid cartoon either.

That was my favorite part! If the intent of the video was to communicate that gnomes are lame and that tieflings are badass, then mission accomplished. The badger-booting was the perfect close to what I saw as a concise and on-target message.

EDIT: of course, the whole "incinerate the gnome and interviewer" bit contributed as well.

Klaus

First Post
BTW, over in the "Rich Baker confirms new gnome look" thread, I posted this pic I whipped up in 30 minutes, to give everyone a non-cartoony version of the 4e gnome to analyse.

449476b0c35f26e1.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I like it, Claudio. I think the biggest problem is with ongoing campaigns, but even then, with a RSE, gnomes getting a change of skin and eye color isn't out of the question.

fba827

Adventurer
I had not seen the first/Behold one until after viewing this one, so I didn't know what to expect.

But having said that, I found it entertaining and informative - a creative use of marketing.

It was short and they aren't working with a epic sized budget, and over all, a job well done - I hope to see more.

As an aside, compared to the Behold one, I found this second one to be more entertaining and have more pieces of information hidden within it.

Though, it may have been Francis (sp?) that won my heart since the gnome talked to Francis the same way I talk to my infant nephew :)

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
That was my favorite part! If the intent of the video was to communicate that gnomes are lame and that tieflings are badass, then mission accomplished.

If the intent of the video was to communicate that tieflings are munchkins and that gnomes are fun, then mission accomplished.

Spatula

Explorer
ImperialParadox said:
So....Warcraft stole and twisted the teifling concept into the draenie and WotC stole the evolved concept back? Win for WotC? I guess?
"Horns, tail, & goat legs" isn't "the tiefling concept." Tieflings are supposed to look mostly human... or were supposed to, before 4e. The goat legs etc. are a fairly common look for the devilish (looks like Satan!) or at least the pagan (satyrs).

The tiefling in the cartoon, though, looks exactly like female draenei look in WoW, and speaks exactly like female draenei speak in WoW, making it less devilish and more carbon copyish.

EDIT: Not that Warcraft (along with most other fantasy computer games) hasn't stolen plenty from D&D in other areas...

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
pawsplay said:
Here's a question, though... when did gnomes become halflings? Did halflings kill gnomes and take their shoes?
Now we know why gnomes got the boot... they look like small humans. Halflings look like slightly taller small humans. With the beards, noses, & hairfeet gone, there's not much left to physically distinguish the races.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads