• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Tielfling and The Gnome: On the Set of 4th edition

Spatula said:
Now we know why gnomes got the boot... they look like small humans. Halflings look like slightly taller small humans. With the beards, noses, & hairfeet gone, there's not much left to physically distinguish the races.
That was essentially true in 3E already. 3E gnomes always looked like slightly larger 3E halflings to me. Oh, and they generally had a bit of facial hair.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
ImperialParadox said:
Lastly, I'm annoyed to see them continuing to push this idea that non-PC's are monters, and monsters simply exist to be slain and looted. Granted, they are exaggerating the idea a bit to be funny, but they do seem to be emphasizing a 'hack & slash' mentality.

And I'm annoyed to see them continuing to push this idea that everybody's campaign will include talk shows. What if none of the NPCs in my campaign speak with a pseudo-Brit accent? Will WotC force me to use a Stern-esque host instead? Will they have rules to convert to Monster Manual Springer Stories? If they don't clear up this talk show stuff and reveal all the details now I might have to vow never to buy one of their products ever again. Never, never ever.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Midknightsun said:
Yeah, sorry, my humanity got in the way I guess. I'll go beat myself now. :\
Nice as it is to be mistaken for a perfect robot being, I'm no-one special. I just pay attention.

Last edited:

ImperialParadox said:
So....Warcraft stole and twisted the teifling concept into the draenie and WotC stole the evolved concept back? Win for WotC? I guess?

At least we now have the perfect icon to represent the typical 12 year old's fantasy girl now! Thank you WotC for the new tiefling!

And yes, I do know it was meant to be humorous, and I found it somewhat funny, but I can't help to think the new gnome's image and potrayal is a subtle marketing ploy to convince more people how 'silly' and 'lame' and 'uncool' gnomes are. Admittedly I find all the new fluff changes annoying and unecessary, and I'll add the 'new gnome' to the list. But as was previously said, if that is how the majority of the designers potray gnomes in their game, no wonder they are getting rid of them.

Lastly, I'm annoyed to see them continuing to push this idea that non-PC's are monters, and monsters simply exist to be slain and looted. Granted, they are exaggerating the idea a bit to be funny, but they do seem to be emphasizing a 'hack & slash' mentality. Though I'll reserve full judgement for when I see more detail on their social challenges system. Hopefully it will still retain roleplaying and not reduce social interactions to combat-like die rolls.

I hope to see something I like soon, because the more I hear about 4th edition the less I like it, though I know I'm likely in the minority on that opinion.

That makes no sense.

The Tiefling is "new D&D", she's a snooty self-centred brat out for money (4e is a money grab!), the Gnome is "old D&D", he's a fun loving, slightly nerdy dude with a lair & minions (hee, minion) and he completely stole the show, in fact he was awesome, nobody was trying to convince you of anything, they were just making fun of you and themselves(well, and people like you who take this kinda stuff too seriously).

Gnome was awesome, he was the hero of the piece, the Tiefling killing the Gnome both makes fun of the whole "killing the scout and taking his stuff" and everyone who's complaining about the whole "monsters are only for killing", not to mention the fact that the Gnome was awesome and the Tiefling was a violent bitch thus the pun on "who's the real monster", the WoW thing is a joke they're making of the whole "D&D is turning into WoW". This is not a design document this is an amusing (well hilarious) aside, the fact that people are taking it seriously and not getting these basic referances is just makes the entire thing that much funnier.

Did I mention the the Gnome was awesome?

I think I mentioned the Gnome was awesome.

I may have to actually put them into our homebrew now.

Klaus said:
BTW, over in the "Rich Baker confirms new gnome look" thread, I posted this pic I whipped up in 30 minutes, to give everyone a non-cartoony version of the 4e gnome to analyse.

449476b0c35f26e1.jpg

That's a bit better. Bears somewhat of a resemblance to Hugh Jackman. :lol:

Hammerhead

Explorer
Vyvyan Basterd said:
And I'm annoyed to see them continuing to push this idea that everybody's campaign will include talk shows. What if none of the NPCs in my campaign speak with a pseudo-Brit accent? Will WotC force me to use a Stern-esque host instead? Will they have rules to convert to Monster Manual Springer Stories? If they don't clear up this talk show stuff and reveal all the details now I might have to vow never to buy one of their products ever again. Never, never ever.

You, sir, win.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads