• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Tielfling and The Gnome: On the Set of 4th edition

maggot

First Post
Okay, I watched it again. And I still don't like it. Not at all. There is no part of this video that appeals to me.

I remember a thread about someone "firing their customers," and I kind of feel like that. Maybe they telling me that 4e isn't for me? Maybe I'm fired and I should stay with 3e or move to competitor.

It's not Meet the Engineer, but it is clever.

The tiefling is annoying on purpose; they're intentionally playing on stereotypes. Insert tongue into cheek, etc.

I have to wonder in awe at the serious emotional investment required for anyone to think this flash video is their personal D&D pink-slip... :confused:

maggot

First Post
Silent Cartographer said:
I have to wonder in awe at the serious emotional investment required for anyone to think this flash video is their personal D&D pink-slip... :confused:

I didn't say it was in any way personally directed at me. They post marketing material that doesn't appeal to me, implying their product might not appeal to me. Just business, nothing personal.

Last edited:

maggot said:
I didn't say it was in any way personally directed at me.
True enough; my apologies for the mis-characterization!

The 'firing' thread you referred to had a very personal tone overall, and I projected that onto your post. My bad. :\

The Ubbergeek

First Post
maggot said:
Okay, I watched it again. And I still don't like it. Not at all. There is no part of this video that appeals to me.

I remember a thread about someone "firing their customers," and I kind of feel like that. Maybe they telling me that 4e isn't for me? Maybe I'm fired and I should stay with 3e or move to competitor.

Don't take this too seriously... *shrugs*

Silent Cartographer said:
True enough; my apologies for the mis-characterization!

The 'firing' thread you referred to had a very personal tone overall, and I projected that onto your post. My bad. :\
Maybe the term 'firing' is the problem. It implies something specific to the individual being fired. Perhaps it would be better to say "Wizards of the Coast has downsized me as a customer"? "Wizards has laid me off as a customer"?

maggot

First Post
Fifth Element said:
Maybe the term 'firing' is the problem. It implies something specific to the individual being fired. Perhaps it would be better to say "Wizards of the Coast has downsized me as a customer"? "Wizards has laid me off as a customer"?

Actually, I was only referencing the 'firing' thread, and I didn't realize it would be so combustible. I'm the one making the decision, so I should have written "After watching that video, my perception is that perhaps I'm no longer part of Wizards' target market."

BryonD

Hero
Fifth Element said:
Its just using a term that, according to the initial story, started within the halls of WotC.

I got raked over the coals for being overly reactive when I used the same term a few weeks ago. But that wasn't an accurate reading at all. If WotC makes a proactive choice that they are going to change some things knowing full well that a certain segment of their existing customer base will be alienated but they expect to have a net growth in customers for it, then they are absolutely in the rights to do so. And, if they truly believe it will grow sales, they aren't just in their rights, it is something they really SHOULD do. I still may be one of the ones that gets "fired"*. If so, fine. I may not be glad, but there doesn't need to be any animosity about it.

* - Though I loved this comic and it was a grain of salt back on the plus side.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads