From the hills rebounding
Let this song be sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding
Men of Harlech on to glory
This will ever be your story
Keep these burning words before ye
Welshmen will not yield

(not historically accurate, but a great version)

Ahzad

Explorer
Higgins boats in Robin Hood? Seriously Ridley Scott, higgins boats?

didn't see the movie b/c of that alone, it made my brain hurt to much.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I love A Knight's Tale. It's clearly not meant to be taken as historically accurate. Crass historical inaccuracy only bugs me when movies sell themselves as being accurate.

Joker

First Post
True, but there's a difference with taking a few liberties for dramatic purposes and showing the Macedonian cavalry riding velociraptors while trying to outflank the Persian Droid Army during the Battle of the Granicus and saying 'I swear to God, true story'.

In the Battle of the Granicus they had to cross a river. So...Higgens boats.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Okay, I've got one to add now.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (and others, I'm sure) - Robin doesn't speak with a British accent. And it's rather glaringly obvious. I find it hard to believe I didn't think of this before.

And numerous other movies (not just Robin Hood ones) are guilty of this, First Knight among them.

P.S. Dragonwriter, I don't write serious ;).

Just checking. :)

Consider how much speech patterns have changed in America in the past 70 years (listen to the accents of Humphrey Bogart, or Franklin Roosevelt). Who's to say that a certain portion of the British Isles had accents back in Robin Hood's day that sound very similar to modern American?

In fact, I ran a d20 modern game where one PC was a displaced knight from King Arthur's court, and he insisted that everyone there sounded like they were from modern Florida. (And that Camelot was regularly beset by vampires.)

Dragonwriter

First Post
Consider how much speech patterns have changed in America in the past 70 years (listen to the accents of Humphrey Bogart, or Franklin Roosevelt). Who's to say that a certain portion of the British Isles had accents back in Robin Hood's day that sound very similar to modern American?

While possible, how does his own father have a thoroughly British accent, while Robin doesn't?

I get the point you are making, but this is a semi-humorous thread concerning "historical" movies and their mistakes. This particular bit was such a big deal, it even got a mention in Robin Hood: Men In Tights! :lol:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Easily. Robin hood lost his accent when he fought in the crusades as a result of Saladin's men taking it from Robin during his captivity.

This data transmission was sent via cybernetic implant.

Dioltach

Legend
I switched off my DVD of Timeline when the "English" nobles (speaking with posh English accents) took a modern Frenchman prisoner, while completely ignoring the Scotsman in the party. Or something like that, it's been a while since I attempted to watch it.

Remove ads