• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Trefaldwyn Chronicle - Dark Ages Pathfinder OOC

Shayuri

First Post
Classic Pathfinder druids, like D&D druids before them, have ties to fey. Pathfinder has a variant set of class features called Menhir Savant, that replaces that with more of a general spirit connection. It's a bit more 'mystic' in outlook. Let me know what you think of it...it fits what I have in mind pretty well, I think.

Shayuri

First Post
My thoughts exactly!

It leans a bit away from some of the rangery/fey stuff, and creates a more spiritual mystic feel which I like.

I'll work up some stats and story.

Kaodi

Hero
I have an idea for a character that would require a little extra DM approval: A changeling magus with the hexcrafter and staff magus archetypes. I thought changeling would be an interesting race choice because they tie in perfectly with the fey while at the same time keeping their upbringing fairly mundane. As full arcane spellcaster seems already to be spoken for, I had an idea that because of her strange appearance the changeling would have had to learn to both appear more inconspicuous and to defend herself if things got ugly, thus the staff magus: She stays away from swords and heavier armour because she wants to appear to be more of an average woman. Hexcrafter of course is self-explanatory.

Something like this (which is horribly non-optimal):

green widow changeling hexcrafter staff magus 1, neutral
str 12 dex 14 con 11 int 14 wis 13 cha 11
traits fast-talker, reactionary
skills bluff, profession (herbalist), spellcraft, use magic device
feats quarterstaff master, weapon focus (quarterstaff)
spells in book
1 - feather fall, ill omen, magic weapon, true strike, vanish
0 - all magus
gear quarterstaff, padded armour, dagger, backpack, spellbook, spell component pouch, traveller's outfit, 126 gp

Shayuri

First Post
Who's the full arcane caster?

Ah! The elf! Cool!

Excellent. I have some stats for the druid worked up.

After some lazy man's historical research (courtesy of the fine folks at Wikipedia), I note that by 600AD the actual Roman occupation of the Isles was well and truly ended. Had to reframe my thoughts a bit.

So basically, the conflict central to the druids...what was left of them after centuries of suppression under Rome...is maintaining some shred of their tradition and faith as more and more Britons become more and more Christian, as well as the Saxon invaders.

One thing that struck me was the absolute lack of written records regarding the practice of druidism...and the potentially questionable nature of some of the third-party writings about them. In essence, we don't appear to have any kind of reliable understanding, which is great for a game because it means we have a free hand. :)

I have a lot of specific ideas about druidism, but few have any concrete game effects. It's mostly just flavor.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
[MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION], having looked up those options, sounds good to me, I like it.
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], yes, the Romans pulled resources out of Britain about 200 years before the time of this setting, leaving Romanised Celts who gradually lost most of the Roman influence without continued traffic with the Empire,of which the Western portion is now ruled by the Visigoths who sort of consider themselves heirs to the Empire but again pretty much follow their own culture.

As far as druids go, I think we are safe coming up with our own interpretation.

Something that might be relevant to both characters - it is 100 years or so since the Battle of Camlann and the death of King Arthur; Merlin vanished some years before that and Morgan the Fey some time after, but both figures would be important influences in the world of magic and fey, if you wanted to include them in your background.

Shayuri

First Post
Are we going with Merlin being the same as Taliesin the bard? Cuz that plugs pretty directly into druidic mythos.

And while we're on the subject of Arthur, are we going with a sort of Once and Future King approach, or a more Mists of Avalon type deal? Roughly, I mean. Not to try to pin you down into established fiction. :)

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I settled on the elf sorcerer (wildblooded: Sage).

I would like to take an alternate racial trait:
Arcane Focus: Some elven families have such long traditions of producing wizards (and other arcane spellcasters) that they raise their children with the assumption each is destined to be a powerful magic-user, with little need for mundane concerns such as skill with weapons. Elves with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus on concentration checks made to cast arcane spells defensively. This racial trait replaces weapon familiarity.

Envoy: Elves often have trouble relating to neighbors of other races, especially those with much shorter lifespans. As a result, some are trained in minor magics that are particularly useful when dealing with non-elves. Elves with this racial trait and an Intelligence score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like abilities once per day: comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, and read magic. The caster level for these effects is equal to the elf's level. This racial trait replaces elven magic.

Str 11 (1)
Dex 16 (5)
Con 10 (2)
Int 16 (5)
Wis 12 (2)
Cha 10 (0)

Feat:
Bonus: Eschew Materials
1: Toughness

Traits:
Desperate Focus
Forlorn (Elf)

Spells Known:
Prestigitation
Dancing Lights
Detect Magic
Acid Splash

Mage Armor
Color Spray

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
WD, looks good so far.

As far as Arthurian myth goes, I'm aiming more for the earlier Mabinogion kind of stuff, Gawain and the Green Knight, maybe Malory, but not so much the later Chretien de Troyes elements. Merlin may well be equated with Taliesin, although there are some other figures associated with him as well. Perhaps, in this setting, he is all, or at least some, of them at different times. Could be something to play with.

doghead

thotd
Trying rather unsuccessfully not to get drawn into this game. Not only does it look interesting as a concept, but you seem to have pulled together a solid group of players with some really interesting character ideas.

Given the characters so far, I was thinking a missing piece of the puzzle was a relation of Llewllyn ap Rhys, Lord of Trefaldwyn. Perhaps a younger son (or grandson depending on the age of the Lord) or a cousin of some description. Because blood is thicker than water and someone needs to keep this assorted bunch of miscreants out of mischief.

I was thinking a young man, trained as a warrior and hunter and maybe with some social skills as well. Proud? Probably. Head-strong? More than likely, he is young. Ambitious and vaguely suspicious of 'foreign influences' in court? Or maybe a dreamer who frets at the constraints of family responsibility and longs to travel; to see the glory that is Constantinople, experience the mystery of the elf lands and smell the spice drenched lands of Arabia.

My initial thought was a fighter, or a rogue for the skills. But a ranger is probably the best build for this with its solid combat options and reasonable skill allocation. The expanded range of combat styles now allows for sword and board or mounted combat, both of which would work.

So, thats where I am at the moment. If you are still recruiting, then consider me interested.

thotd

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads