The Two Greatest Things in Life Are Finally Together (Hint: Star Wars)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A truly good cookware collection is God's way of saying you have too much money.

...and an appreciation for the finer things in life!

That said, four dutch ovens? I am beginning to rethink your SANDWICH credentials!!!
I sort of “inherited” most of the cookware from my Mom...along with the duties as primary cook. She bought most of it to replace the stuff she’d collected over the years and used to death. She asked for my input, because I was her “sous chef”.

Then I looked up one day and realized that she was cooking by remote control- sitting in the breakfast nook and telling me what to do, when and how, because she could no longer move/lift the pots she bought.

So I took over the kitchen.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You know, dudes... America's Test Kitchen will give you plenty of recommendations for really good cookware that doesn't cost $1000. And they actually test the stuff...

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
You know, dudes... America's Test Kitchen will give you plenty of recommendations for really good cookware that doesn't cost $1000. And they actually test the stuff...

I got my info from them actually. Mind you that's $1000 CDN, and its a full 10 piece set of the AllClad's D5 stainless steel cookware. I wanted something that was going to last, same thing for the knives. I don't need knives that expensive per se, but they'll last a lifetime. But quality knives are expensive, a good one with set you back an easy $200 for just an 8-inch chef's knife.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I watch the ATK shows, have their gear book, have a subscription to Cook’s Illustrated magazine, and a subscription to the website that covers all of their publications and shows.

i can’t say they’ve ever steered me wrong, either- a good investment, IMHO.

Le Creuset is expensive stuff to start off with. The collectible aspect of this just adds to the price tag.

Is it worth it? (The standard stuff, that is.) Well...I use the hell out of mine, and I love the results I get.

But I’m not blind to the quality and even advantages of other brands. I’d love to have a Lodge dutch oven with the depressed lid, for instance, because that allows for the use certain cooking techniques unavailable to standard dutch ovens. And those cost a fraction of LC’s stuff. But I haven’t bought one because of space and the practical question of when I’d ever use those techniques.

Last edited:

Remove ads