The whole POINT of 3.5 (that everyone is missing)

nute

Explorer
The books aren't for you.

Let me say that again, because it bears repeating.

The books aren't for you.

You're an enworld.org reader. The very fact that you're on this message board implies that you take a view of D&D "beyond the game", so to speak. If it were only about playing the game, then it would be as simple as looking over the changes in 3.5, taking what you like, ignoring what you don't, and going on your merry way.

But that's not you, and that's okay. Because the books aren't for you.

They're for the NEXT guy. The guy who walks into his FLGS and wants to play this D&D game that he's heard so much about. "Here you go", the FLGS guy will say, "D&D, 3.5. Newest edition, most up-to-date rules. These older supplements (pointing to all previous D20 supplements on the rack) will work with a few tweaks, but this (taps the 3.5 book) will cover all the new stuff."

And the new gamer says "Wow", because he finally gets to be a part of the game that we (that being you and I) enjoy.

Now, for those of us who've been playing for a while. The books aren't geared to us. People have been clamoring that "we don't like the changes!" or "we don't want to pay $BIGNUM for a book with only a few changes!"

The SRD is for you, then. It's FREE. It details all the changes. Keep what you want, edit it, print it out as "errata" for your house campaign.

I've heard a lot of people swear that they'll never touch a 3.5-branded product. A few years ago, I was hearing just as many people swear that this "3rd Edition" business would be the death of D&D. And look how right they were. Oh, wait - they weren't. Silly me.

So, in closing, if you're one of those that feels the need to stand on your demagogic soapbox and proclaim your eternal distaste for the evolution of the game - I wonder how the blatantly obvious passed you by. If you're so set in your gaming style that you don't want to change it - DON'T CHANGE IT. You don't need to. If you're worried about the "stigma" of not playing to the absolute letter of the most current WotC-published rules, you've got your head on backwards, and you're obviously letting things outside of your game influence your enjoyment of it.

If you're not going to buy the new books, don't buy them and keep doing what you're doing. You'll be the happier for it. If you're planning to buy them, best of luck - enjoy the new product. I know I will.

~M.

Flyspeck23

First Post
That might just be true. Right down to the last sentence ;)

Only problem: no more support for the old rules. Therefore, it might be alright to rant about 3.5 if you must... a little, at least.

nsruf

First Post
nute said:
You're an enworld.org reader. The very fact that you're on this message board implies that you take a view of D&D "beyond the game", so to speak. If it were only about playing the game, then it would be as simple as looking over the changes in 3.5, taking what you like, ignoring what you don't, and going on your merry way.

Funny, that's the stance I was trying to adopt (plus, not really judging the thing until I have seen it myself) - despite being an avid ENWorld-reader. But you are right, many people are very vocal about things that have nothing to do with the quality of the game itself...

The SRD is for you, then. It's FREE. It details all the changes. Keep what you want, edit it, print it out as "errata" for your house campaign.

I don't fully agree. The 3.0 SRD is not so much a game as a toolbox for publishers. It lacks formatting and explanatory text. You can make do with th 3.5 one if you have the original books, but it just won't be pretty;)

The point of 3.5 is to get new people into gaming?
huh.gif
I don't buy that.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Joshua Dyal said:
huh.gif
I don't buy that.

It may not be the only point, but it's definitely A point. The other reasons are evident: financial, corrective, and simplifying, for example. But Nute's point is well taken. The average gamer or new player won't necessarily care that much about what has gone before. Most will buy it, and go on.

What's my biggest problem with 3.5e? They didn't make the covers different enough. While they look very good, they don't different enough to signify to the casual D&D gamer that there has been a change, and hence worth picking up and looking at it.

Tsyr

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
huh.gif
I don't buy that.

Agreed. It just doens't make sense... A newbie to gaming wouldn't care if it was 3.0, 3.5, or 4.0... In fact, 3.5 might hinder new gamers...

Game store owner: "Look, here are the new books... this is all you'll need."

Newbie: "Great, thanks. Mind if I look around? Hmmm... Oh, wow... Look at all these cool books... And these are all for this game, right?"

Game store owner: *tugs collar* "Welllll... sort of, but you see, this is a NEW version of the game, so all these things don't mesh 100% with it..."

Newbie: "Oh..."

Arnwyn

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
huh.gif
I don't buy that.
Neither do I. The point of 3.5 is to get people who already own the PHBs to buy new ones (so their games will improve).

As Tsyr points out above, it could turn out to be quite detrimental to newbies.

Remove ads