D&D General The Worst Part About Leaving D&D...

Jer

Legend
Supporter
...is the much decreased level of engagement for other games. There's no place to enjoy as robust, broad based, active and pugnacious conversation about, say, Savage Worlds. There's no SWADE version of ENWorld.
This is true. But I also feel like enworld used to have much broader conversations about other games. Not recently, but, like, 15-20 years ago it felt like there was more general ttrpg discussion about non-D&D games. I'm not even sure what killed it or when it disappeared (or if I'm just misremembering the balmy days of my youth...)

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
The one RPG I have always felt had as much of a fandom for has been Shadowrun. It's been pretty successful at getting wider name recognition through novels, video, and board/card games and has a lot of popular online groups to join for discussion.

In some ways I feel like discussion of SR is easier than DnD because there is a singular narrative and expected power band that almost every campaign takes place in.

This is unlike DnD where I might come from a place of running a superheroic anime styled homebrew 5e campaign and I'm arguing with someone who only plays 1e prewritten modules and enjoys being a wizard with 1HP.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
The one RPG I have always felt had as much of a fandom for has been Shadowrun. It's been pretty successful at getting wider name recognition through novels, video, and board/card games and has a lot of popular online groups to join for discussion.
Way, way back in the day the Star Wars d6 game had a big following. Then WEG went bankrupt and George Lucas started making movies again and it feels like Star Wars RPGs have never been as popular after that one-two punch.

Reynard

Legend
Not entirely true. Reddit, Discord, and other forums. There are reddits and discord channels for everything. This forum is almost absurdly dedicated to D&D and only D&D. Other RPG forums exist and they have much bigger not-D&D sections and interaction. One that comes to mind is RPG.net, but there are others.

There’s about 18,000 people on the Savage Worlds reddit.

There's about 3,200 people on the Unofficial Savage Worlds discord.

I left rpg.net a long time ago. And reddit is... good to lurk on and search for information or discussions but not for me.

I don't know how people stand Discord as a "message board."

Reynard

Legend
I've said it, before, I'll say it, again:
Level Up. A5e.
Talk to your table about swapping to a different, new, version of D&D and take that step. You'll still be able to benefit from the big D&D community to a large degree, but it won't exactly -be- D&D, so your conscience can be soothed.
My issue with 5E isn't just the WotC stuff. I'm just tied of and frustrated with it as a version of D&D (for reasons I will not go into here).

Stormonu

Legend
Way, way back in the day the Star Wars d6 game had a big following. Then WEG went bankrupt and George Lucas started making movies again and it feels like Star Wars RPGs have never been as popular after that one-two punch.
Star Wars WEG did a lot of the Lord's work fleshing out Star Wars lore that got swept away with Disney's junk. Yes, there was lot of cruft in the WEG stuff, but what it got replaced by wasn't necessarily any better (Andor & Kenobi, I'm specifically look at you two).

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Trying to use Discord or Reddit for actual discussion feels like a dystopian nightmare. I do enjoy the spirit of this place more than most of the other old-school RPG forums I know of (hence why I stay), but it does make me sad that I don't see the same level of engagement and discussion of other systems here. And you can say "start your own conversations!", but it's not much of a conversation if you're the only one posting in the thread.
But I'm just a lazy lurker, I prefer reading other people's discussions. :LOL:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases