D&D (2024) Thematic 4 corners of the PHB subclasses

Yaarel

He Mage
Actually, Glory being civilization makes sense to me. Glory is about your Story, and stories are histories within a civilized culture. Nonviolent competition is one of the most civilized concepts. Two people can be bitter rivals, but due to the social contracts of civilization, it need not devolve into violent, survival-based decisions. There is safety in accepted civilized competition, even when sparring. Glory is based on rising in the esteem of others to become a legend in society/civilization. And their abilities are very team-support-oriented. Works for me.
Yet protecting "villages" and overthrowing "tyrants" are explicitly civilization. Likewise, punishing antisocial "criminals" is society.

ROGUE

This contrast seems strong.
• Trickster (mage) / Swashbuckler (warrior)

This seems the contrast, but I dont quite see how.
• Thief (acrobatics, buildings?) / Assassin (disguise, people?)
Thief deals with ‘things/objects’ and assassins deal with ‘people’. That’s what I see.

Yet protecting "villages" and overthrowing "tyrants" are explicitly civilization. Likewise, punishing antisocial "criminals" is society.
We can totally justify every Paladin subclass as being civilized. Even Oath of the Ancients is about respecting and protecting nature in a cooperative way. Respect for others is a basic theme of a civilized culture. Paladins tend to be team players, or justify their actions based on civilized tenets, any way you slice it.

Yaarel

He Mage
We can totally justify every Paladin subclass as being civilized. Even Oath of the Ancients is about respecting and protecting nature in a cooperative way. Respect for others is a basic theme of a civilized culture. Paladins tend to be team players, or justify their actions based on civilized tenets, any way you slice it.
I am not saying "civility", I am saying "civilization". Literally, people living in villages, towns, and cities.

Opposite the wilderness.

I am not saying "civility", I am saying "civilization". Literally, people living in villages, towns, and cities.

Opposite the wilderness.
A ranger steading with a dozen rangers living there, or a druidic circle compound with a couple dozen members, each do count as civilization. A small town of elves and gnomes that blends into the surrounding wilderness is civilization.

Remathilis

Legend
The pairings make the cleric changes make more sense: life and war (defense vs offense) and light and trickery (revelation vs deception).

I think life and grave might have been a better couple, as well as light and twilight, but I think they were stuck with using the PHB options first.

Paladins:
Paladins.PNG

Attachments

• Paladins.PNG
    Paladins.PNG
    392.1 KB · Views: 36

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Beauty vs horror? 🤷‍♂️ .... they can both drive you crazy, too....
That’s a duality they’ve previously established an interest in exploring (see the domains of dread and domains of delight), so sounds pretty plausible. But in the past they’ve set up the Shadowfell, rather than the far realm, as the origin of the horror side of that equivalence.

Remove ads