D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I mean, of course most people haven't heard of the OGL controversy. And the trailer already has almost 4M views and is trending on YouTube at #9. But I also am certain that there were conversations about how the OGL controversy might effect the trailer drop between WotC brand managers and Paramount as well as within Paramount internally, they both have a vested interest in how the movie performs. Monday at 9a with no pre hype isn't the normal way that trailers for franchise films drop. So it's interesting (to me) to try and deduce the reason behind that. Again, I think the trailer looks amazing and I for one can't wait for the film.
I think the guess about other movie preview drops and movies about to be released mentioned earlier is the only influence on this one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A) Who's mad?

B) I also didn't complain that "the D&D movie is trying to be a fun crowd-pleaser that appeals to the broadest possible audience." I complained that the writing in the scenes they chose to highlight is lazy. Which it patently is.

I enjoy crowd-pleasers. A film can be a "fun crowd-pleaser" with broad appeal and still be well-written. I consider Guardians of the Galaxy to be a "fun, smart action movie." Much of the MCU is fun, smart action movies, so I don't buy the argument that good writing doesn't sell.

It's obvious that they are trying to make a Guardians of the Galaxy knock-off. That's my point. The characters, the casting, the action beats and most especially the dialogue are all telling us that this will be a predictable action comedy. They are aiming for a nice, safe B. And if they make it, that will be fine. I'm sure I will eat my popcorn and enjoy it well enough. Based on what I've seen, I fear it will be more like a C, though. I'll still go, but my spouse will be annoyed with me for taking them.

If they are trying to build an entertainment empire it would be more inspiring if they started it by going for more than "good enough."

Also, and this is a personal issue, but that Bridgerton actor is terrible. Maybe he'll be more watchable in the actual film, but his performance in these trailers is pure cringe.
Guardians of the Galaxy is a good model to follow. It already felt like an RPG film.

mamba

Legend
Like a couple others have said, boycotting this or even the Baldurs gate game just seems off in my opinion. Don’t let the OGL anger spill over and be the thing that consumes a persons life, this movie may put a smile on your face :)
I won't buy either, that does not mean the OGL consumes me. I just decide not to buy it and move on, not even really worth a fully formed thought, and watch / play something else instead, it's not like I am lacking for options here

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases