• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E They Broke Arcane Archer!!!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The outrage seemed to be from the other side. Then again its the Internet, post a complaint and soon you are being accused of being in a hysterical fit claiming the sky is falling.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Here's the problem with people. You don't know the difference between insulting someone and criticizing their work,

"This should have been caught" is criticizing the work. "This is lazy" (which you said twice) is attacking the person directly because you're making an assumption about them. I know the difference, but it seems you don't.

and you take :):):):):) way too personal like I was talking directly to you. Saying someone did a :):):):):)ty job is not the same as calling them a :):):):):)ty person. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

What, are you 12? Look, I happen to have experience in this field, and with editing. So I know first hand what it's like, and armchair quarterbacks such as yourself throwing a fit and insulting people based on very flawed assumptions is something I'm going to point out. Especially when the solution is already there and the error wasn't that big of a deal. There's a reason why so many people have responded to you in the way they have. The only people that have agreed with you is a guy who freely admits to making fun of other gamers for fun, and another who thinks he's God's gift to editing while making at least two errors in the same post he was bragging about himself and his mad skills.

Maybe you need to step back and get some perspective. And avoid using misogynistic grade school insults while you're at it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The outrage seemed to be from the other side. Then again its the Internet, post a complaint and soon you are being accused of being in a hysterical fit claiming the sky is falling.

The outrage seems to be from the person expressing outrage. Hint, it's the OP. I'm thinking you haven't even read the first page if you're making a statement like this to argue that people responding to the OP are the ones expressing outrage, and not him/her. Heck, he's/she's even used all caps, and liberal use of swearing. All caps is the universal sign of outrage on the internet lol.

renbot

Adventurer
All I know is that because of this typo, I can no longer play or enjoy the game. I would give all my stuff away, but I just know you all would suffer the same fate. So I'm doing you all a favor and just burning all of my stuff.

Thanks a lot Mearls.

My cursed monkey paw and I thank you for your sacrifice.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The outrage seems to be from the person expressing outrage. Hint, it's the OP. I'm thinking you haven't even read the first page if you're making a statement like this to argue that people responding to the OP are the ones expressing outrage, and not him/her. Heck, he's/she's even used all caps, and liberal use of swearing. All caps is the universal sign of outrage on the internet lol.

Read the whole thing. Sure the initial poster was a bit exasperated with the editing and thought it was a lazy job. Soon there are crying people pictures, people asking if the sky is still falling, etc. Anyway this thread should not devolve into an argument about which side flipped out the most. I'll leave you guys too hash it out. Toodle pipski.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Read the whole thing. Sure the initial poster was a bit exasperated with the editing and thought it was a lazy job. Soon there are crying people pictures, people asking if the sky is still falling, etc. Anyway this thread should not devolve into an argument about which side flipped out the most. I'll leave you guys too hash it out. Toodle pipski.

None of those people were expressing outrage though. They were reacting in kind as a joke to the OP who was legitimately outraged about the whole thing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
All I know is that because of this typo, I can no longer play or enjoy the game. I would give all my stuff away, but I just know you all would suffer the same fate. So I'm doing you all a favor and just burning all of my stuff.

Thanks a lot Mearls.

Oh no, you stared into the face of the D&D equivalent of Roko’s Basilisk! (don't Google it if you don't get the reference. You will regret it. Don't say I didn't warn you.)

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
"This should have been caught" is criticizing the work. "This is lazy" (which you said twice) is attacking the person directly because you're making an assumption about them. I know the difference, but it seems you don't.

What, are you 12? Look, I happen to have experience in this field, and with editing. So I know first hand what it's like, and armchair quarterbacks such as yourself throwing a fit and insulting people based on very flawed assumptions is something I'm going to point out.

If anyone had tried to actually build and play an arcane archer from one of the almost-final drafts that contained this error it seems likely that they would have noticed the breakdown. It's not difficult to see the problem. If he feels like that's "lazy" on the part of WOTC then he has a basis for that complaint. How are you inferring that's a shot a someone in particular? Is it possible your experience in the field is making you extra-sensitive to the criticism here?

And as for "armchair quarterbacks" - you mean everyone who bought the book that isn't an editor? So almost everyone who bought the book? So "customers"? And then you had to go and work a shot in yourself.

I would guess there are two different kinds of editing with WOTC gamebooks - rules checking and then the traditional grammar/spelling editing. This is not a traditional editing screw-up, it's a rules error. Once they made additional changes to the class after the UA article I would expect some additional playtesting. Did that happen? Was there not a conversation about "hey what does this mean right here?" If not why not? If so how did this make it into the final draft?

Especially when the solution is already there and the error wasn't that big of a deal.

How is rendering one of the main features of a class unplayable not a big deal? He bought a new book and found an error that broke the class he was most interested in playing. In particular, he was interested in playing it in the fairly rules-tight environment of the AL. It is a problem. It's good that it's fixed now, but that doesn't make it not a problem. Raising a fuss about it this time should help improve the process for next time. Take a look at what Paizo had to deal with after the Advanced Class Guide fiasco. Subsequent books have been much better.

Maybe you need to step back and get some perspective. And avoid using misogynistic grade school insults while you're at it.

That's good advice, and not just for the other guy.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Oh no, you stared into the face of the D&D equivalent of Roko’s Basilisk! (don't Google it if you don't get the reference. You will regret it. Don't say I didn't warn you.)

I don't know it, don't want to know it, and will just assume it's something similar to that g**T.se meme years ago.

Which I also wished I never knew about.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads