• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E They Broke Arcane Archer!!!

G

Guest 6801328

Apparently I should be an editor/proofreader. No consequences for screwing up and I've got an army of defenders saying it's a hard job and that mistakes are always made to to justify any mistakes I make

Don't forget the best part: you will get to eat a lot of ramen because it's all you will be able to afford.

I don't think anybody said there are no consequences for "screwing up", mostly because the defenders don't think that missing some errors is screwing up: it's human. So there is merely willingness to accept that it's impossible to do a perfect job.

I think that is (or should be) true for most jobs: we recognize that humans aren't perfect. That's why as the importance of the task increases you increase the layers of redundancy. I.e., we don't rely on a few volunteers to do a quick pass to make that databases with millions of customers' private information is secure. Well, maybe Yahoo does.

If lives depended upon the absence of errors in RPGs we would see:
1) More proofreaders, and more highly paid (or simply paid)
2) Those proofreaders suffering consequences...getting fired...if they miss things.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
When your job is to catch errors and you fail to do so it's a screwup. It's human to screwup. That's fine. Most humans that screwup face consequences for doing so. Apparently in your world even publicly poking fun at the guy who screwed up is too much of a consequence...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Apparently I should be an editor/proofreader. No consequences for screwing up and I've got an army of defenders saying it's a hard job and that mistakes are always made to to justify any mistakes I make

There were consequences here. They had to do an expensive early reprint. I am sure he got crap for it at work. It's just that the consequences are not, "That's it, you're fired, I'm hiring a random anonymous dude off the Internet to do your job because obviously he can do better. Because he will never make a single mistake at his job!" type consequences.

I don't mean to pick on RPG fans. Sports fans are worse. This is the rough equivalent of people screaming at a television that the coach is an idiot and they could do better. This is just a thing that happens in fandom - most fans think the jobs they're watching which contribute to the thing they're a fan of is an easy job they could do better, any time an inevitable mistake is made.

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
If that's all the OP did, then I suspect there would be no claws. However, he led off with "How could happen!" and then proceeded to insult the designers.
Here's the problem with people. You don't know the difference between insulting someone and criticizing their work, and you take :):):):):) way too personal like I was talking directly to you. Saying someone did a :):):):):)ty job is not the same as calling them a :):):):):)ty person. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There were consequences here. They had to do an expensive early reprint. I am sure he got crap for it at work. It's just that the consequences are not, "That's it, you're fired, I'm hiring a random anonymous dude off the Internet to do your job because obviously he can do better. Because he will never make a single mistake at his job!" type consequences.

I don't mean to pick on RPG fans. Sports fans are worse. This is the rough equivalent of people screaming at a television that the coach is an idiot and they could do better. This is just a thing that happens in fandom - most fans think the jobs they're watching which contribute to the thing they're a fan of is an easy job they could do better, any time an inevitable mistake is made.

Just wanted to mention no one called for the guys job. No one mentioned it's a job that's easy to make no errors in. That's a far cry from the other side that rails against any personal consequence we put on the guy. Even if it's just poking fun at him. We did make fun of him for it happening. I stand by that.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just wanted to mention no one called for the guys job. No one mentioned it's a job that's easy to make no errors in.

Pretty sure at least part of the point of saying, "I spent 15 minutes reading this and caught both errors and I wasn't even looking for them!" was saying his job is easy and they could do it better and that WOTC should probably hire someone who could do it better because it's such an easy error to catch.

That's a far cry from the other side that rails against any personal consequence we put on the guy. Even if it's just poking fun at him. We did make fun of him for it happening. I stand by that.

The tone of the complaint wasn't making fun. We all recognize making fun. This was not that. Or if it was intended as just fun, someone did a poor job of expressing that. :)

G

Guest 6801328

When your job is to catch errors and you fail to do so it's a screwup. It's human to screwup. That's fine. Most humans that screwup face consequences for doing so.

Oh, if you're defining "screwing up" as "normal human imperfection" then we're on the same page.

Apparently in your world even publicly poking fun at the guy who screwed up is too much of a consequence...

So now it's just "poking fun". Seemed to me it was outrage and vitriol.

Then again, isn't that always the excuse for a number of offenses? "It was just in good fun."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads