• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E They Broke Arcane Archer!!!

Sacrosanct

Legend
As a writer in this industry, you would be 100% correct. It happens all the time. Human nature.

It should also be noted that editors may or may not be familiar with rules of the game. They are just there to check grammar, spelling, flow, layout, etc, and might have no way of knowing that adding the word "magic" where it didn't belong was an actual error.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
It should also be noted that editors may or may not be familiar with rules of the game. They are just there to check grammar, spelling, flow, layout, etc, and might have no way of knowing that adding the word "magic" where it didn't belong was an actual error.

I'm pretty sure all the editors are in-house and gamers. I'd put it down more to being overworked and underpaid which I put on Hasbro being cheap and demanding unreasonable margins, not WotC.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm pretty sure all the editors are in-house and gamers. I'd put it down more to being overworked and underpaid which I put on Hasbro being cheap and demanding unreasonable margins, not WotC.

But unless the editor was part of the arcane archers design and knew how it was supposed to work, they would have no reason to think it was an error. This wasn’t a grammar or continuity error. It was only an error if you knew how the class was supposed to work.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
But unless the editor was part of the arcane archers design and knew how it was supposed to work, they would have no reason to think it was an error. This wasn’t a grammar or continuity error. It was only an error if you knew how the class was supposed to work.

It's super easy to miss stuff like that; hell, I still find typos and grammar mistakes in my own notes for my campaign and player's guide that I've been working on for over a year.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

They can be underworked and overpaid and still make a mistake. This assumption of infallible editing is bizarre.

pukunui

Legend
Read the same thing more than once or twice and your brain starts to skip over words without you even realizing it.

Even if they gave us all the entire text for their books before they sent them to the printers and asked us to proofread them, I can almost guarantee you that there would still be an error or two in the print version.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Speaking of editors, how did an entire popular trilogy get written (Dragonlance chronicles) and no one caught the fact that they were using “hauberk “ when they meant “halberd”? 😉

guachi

Hero
It's super easy to miss stuff like that; hell, I still find typos and grammar mistakes in my own notes for my campaign and player's guide that I've been working on for over a year.

It's also super easy to find stuff like that, too. For example, it took me less than five minutes from the time I opened a friend's copy to find the Spirit Guardians mistake and I wasn't even looking for mistakes.

I guess the takeaway is - don't buy a WotC D&D product on the first printing. The 1st printing PHB had errors and, in addition, mine fell apart. My MM fell apart, too. I've had three hard back books ever fall apart and two of them are 5e D&D books.

However, the response is fast. Both of my books were replaced (the MM is in the mail). The errors were quickly fixed. Despite being a small team Mearls and especially Crawford do respond. Heck, I created a Twitter account just to ask him about Shield Master and he responded and my response is immortalized in that nice online Sage Advice fan website.

Thought to the comment about Arcane Archer - I thought I'd see the response be something like "I'd rather play a Battle Master" as I think the Battle Master is all-around more powerful and flexible. Though you do have to pretend your Maneuvers are magic.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I felt that way once upon a time too. I even went so far as to ban them. But I got better.

I didn't "ban" halflings.

The world's evilest necromancer created a 10th level spell/ritual called genocide that wiped them all out ages ago.

Dwarves are looking for his notes mumbling something about "ancestral foes" and "for the greater good".

Remove ads