D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
some things being on the same clock is good, get the differences somewhere else
Some things? sure. Everything? Absolutely not.
need <> want. Also, they can much better plan / control for long rests than short rests.
Very much the opposite in my experience. Taking precautions to keep yourself safe for one hour in a dangerous location is significantly easier and more reliable than doing so to keep yourself safe for eight hours. About eight times easier, I’d say.

M_Natas

Hero
The new warlock feels now to much like a wizard who went to community college instead of havard.

Like, I imagine my wizard as a programmer, as an IT expert. They now how the stuff below the surface works and they can change it (which the new Wizard class does better than the old one).
The warlock in comparison is a script kiddy who discovered the TOR Browser, went to the Dark Net and bought some "Hacking Tools" he know how to use but doesn't really understand or is able to modify.
(And a divine caster is a MacUser who prays to Steve Jobs and only does what the Operating Systems allows him to do at surface level.)

Now the warlock just feels like a worse wizard. Somebody who learned some programming at community college and is now IT admin for a small family company who has to show the non magical people how to use Outlook and Excel.
The new warlock makes me sad.

mamba

Legend
Some things? sure. Everything? Absolutely not.
it’s one thing, skill recharge

Very much the opposite in my experience. Taking precautions to keep yourself safe for one hour in a dangerous location is significantly easier and more reliable than doing so to keep yourself safe for eight hours. About eight times easier, I’d say.
getting out of a dangerous location after say 10 hours is much easier than doing so every 3 hours to short rest

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
it’s one thing, skill recharge
No, it’s the recharge of nearly every single limited-use class feature in the game, and also hit dice.
getting out of a dangerous location after say 10 hours is much easier than doing so every 3 hours to short rest
If you can get out of the dangerous location, the length of rests is irrelevant. You can just go to a safe haven and recover during downtime. Short and long rests are only relevant while you’re still in a dangerous location.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but dungeons are extremely out of fashion these days.

Dungeons are little black dresses: they are never out of fashion.

In my campaigns? No. Taking a long rest in an adventure location like a dungeon is not impossible but it is extremely risky (whereas conversely, taking a short rest is not without risk, but it is usually pretty doable). But in the campaigns of pretty much any other DM I’ve played with, what happens is that there are one or two big setpiece encounters in a typical adventuring day, and the rest of the day is spent doing other things. Investigation, exploration, social interaction, and just general plot-y stuff.

Predictably, my current 5e campaign in The Temple of Elemental Evil (the original) is nothing like this. Each game day has lots of exploration and also at least four potential combats. Anything less wouldn't feel like a full day, and our DM wouldn't allow it. Nor should he.

But that's a mega-dungeon. I recently ran Curse of the Crimson Throne, which is a very plot-driven adventure in an urban setting, and even there days with only one or two combats were very few. I guess my experience is just very different than yours.

mamba

Legend
No, it’s the recharge of nearly every single limited-use class feature in the game
yep, I summarized them as skills. I see no reason to distinguish between what is functionally the same thing, a limited-use class feature

and also hit dice.
you can heal up between long rests

If you can get out of the location, you don’t need to worry about the length of rests, you could just go to a safe location and recover during downtime. Short and long rests are only relevant while you’re still in a dangerous location.
I can cover much more / all of many locations in a day, but not in 3 hours or so

FireLance

Legend
How's this for a simple fix?

A warlock can regain the use of the Free Casting they get from their subclass Patron Spells feature when they finish a short rest instead of when they finish a long rest. At 10th level, they get two uses of Free Casting between short rests.

This brings back part of the 2014 warlock's short rest spell recovery mechanic, but only for the spells that are most iconic for their patron.

Remove ads