D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

mamba

Legend
Right, but if everyone gets everything back on a long rest, there is no incentive not to blow it all and long rest after every encounter.
if you have the time for one, yes. You could say the same even with short rests, because most players are on a long rest schedule and yet somehow this does not seem to be a problem

Undrave

Legend
I disagree, whether you have 2 spells after each short rest or 6 for the day makes no functional difference, apart from requiring short rests and creating an imbalance depending on how many there are. If everyone recharges on long rests nothing of interest is lost, the differences should come from something else.
It makes a difference if you can unload 2 spells or a full 6 in a single encounter.
Whereas, I've got no problem at all with the fighter. I mean, I suppose if the player were to simply say "sword" and roll every round, it would "feel" more like a Warlock's EB to me. But, IME most fighters (due to being in Melee, I guess?) have a LOT more back-and-forth with the monster, fluff-wise, whereas Warlocks tend to PEW PEW.
How about an archer Fighter then?
Maybe. For me it's a story thing. It's ALWAYS a story thing. I'm not fond of the way I generally see Warlocks played IN COMBAT when it comes to their story. OtOH, out of combat, they are very interesting, with their patron and all. Probably the MOST interesting class when it comes to that.
Considering that a Warlock SEEKS their power, I think it's more fun if they use their spells choices on more DEVIOUS and underhanded picks than pure combat spells, upcasting or not be damned. At best, Mirror Image on a Pact of the Blade works well.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
if you have the time for one, yes. You could say the same even with short rests, because most players are on a long rest schedule and yet somehow this does not seem to be a problem
Did you really just claim the 5mwd doesn’t seem to be a problem in modern D&D? That’s just… inaccurate.

mamba

Legend
Except now you have to limit certain resources more to prevent endless novas on short days.
no, let them nova, they do not know what day will turn out short. If you want to blow all your resources on two encounters, I am not going to stop you

Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
yeah, dynamically waiting around on various schedules
At you table, how much real-life-time is taken up by the party taking a short rest?

At my table 80%+ of the time it's the GM saying "OK you rest. Spend HD and regain whatever you get" and play resumes after some people roll a few dice and update their HP tally sheets.

Remove ads