"They Rode to Perdition" starring Arcade's Gang (D&D/Boot Hill)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
SilverMoon,

Has the player whose character is Louie ever tried the old SSI game, Rails West by Martin Campion? It was a favorite of mine, and I've known Martin since the 1960s when we were members of the International Federation of Wargaming. When I was a lad the railroad station here in town had a potbellied coal stove, and the C&NW passanger cars pulled by a steam engine were illuminated by gas lights;) I loved to see those big, high baggage carts in action too.

Cheers,
Gary

CelticWolf

First Post
Col Pladoh,

Apparently you're a bit older than I am - my first railroad memories are of the New Haven "Jets" (electric passenger locos) gliding into a station with (fairly) modern coaches with (gasp!) electric lamps and heat. Anyhow, SilverMoon was correct that I'm interested in railroading, but my favorite time period is a bit more modern - the 1950s - 1960s, when diesels finished taking over from steam and headed into their second generation. However, in learning about that I've picked up a little bit of the history, of course. Still, I had to look up a few of his references to assist in and verify the story details. I have heard of the Rails West game, but have not played it... You say it's good, huh? Perhaps I'll check it out some day. Thanks for the tip!

Louie go buy rice now!

"Louie's Player"

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
CelticWolf said:
Col Pladoh,

Apparently you're a bit older than I am - ... I have heard of the Rails West game, but have not played it... You say it's good, huh? Perhaps I'll check it out some day. Thanks for the tip!

Louie go buy rice now!

"Louie's Player"

CelticWolf,

Indeed I am now pushing age 66. Those trains I mentioned were running up until about 1952 on the C&NW spur line from Chicago that ended in Williams Bay on Lake Geneva at a roundhouse. My mother told me that in her youth the train on Friday was called the "Millionairs' Special" and was met by coaches with matched teams and liveried coachmen and footmen. There were about 50 large estates on the lakeshore then, and the owners were conveyed to their summer weekend residences in style!

As for the Rails West game, if you enjoy trading in stocks and bonds, controlling and taking over other rail lines, and attempting to build the biggest and best system, you'll love it:)

Cheers,
Gary

CelticWolf

First Post
"Indeed I am now pushing age 66. Those trains I mentioned were running up until about 1952 on the C&NW spur line from Chicago..."

I guess I'm a relative youngster at 51 then! ;) My memories are from when I lived in southern Connecticut as a kid, and my Dad would ride the New Haven up from New York when his ship came in. And those electric locos were so huge, but so quiet (hence "Jets"), and very eye-catching in the NH white, orange (OK - "Socony Red"), and black paint scheme - you can see how it made an impression on me!

"As for the Rails West game, if you enjoy trading in stocks and bonds, controlling and taking over other rail lines, and attempting to build the biggest and best system, you'll love it"

Well, I generally perefer playing strange characters and killing things, as I only get to do one of those things in real life... :D But it's always fun and energizing to try something new - we'll see!

Thanks,

C.W.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hey CW,

Do you play the Rail Baron boardgame? We really enjoy that game every so often, and Empire Builder is fun too. Just concluded a RB game where three of us were all vying for the win, and I managed to pull it off with a few tricky moves.

Cheers,
Gary

CelticWolf

First Post
Do you play the Rail Baron boardgame? We really enjoy that game every so often, and Empire Builder is fun too.

I'm really not a hard-code gamer, so I haven't played a lot of different games. It's mainly D&D now, along with the variants & hybrids that SilverMoon throws at us occasionally. But other than that, I play few games. Back in high school/college I played some PanzerBlitz, as I was very into WWII then, otherwise just a few conventional games. Sorry if this disappoints...

Actually, I'm having a lot of fun with the Boot Hill/D&D hybrid - Louie is a different character for me, and all the wild events keep it interesting. Very enjoyable...

Thanks,

C.W.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi CW,

Funny you should mention Panserblitz. Avalon Hill asked me to write the game for them because of my co-authorship of the Tractics miniatures rules, but at the time I was being a miniatures snob and disdained translating table top play to a boardgame. The Avalon Hill Company also published Rail Baron.

I'll cease the hijack of this thread with this last admionition: If you get a chance to play, give RB a try. It is a great game for railroad fans:)

Cheers,
Gary

CelticWolf

First Post
Funny you should mention Panserblitz. Avalon Hill asked me to write the game...

Intersting coincidence! I guess the gaming world is pretty incestuous... ;)

Anyhow, nice talking to you, and thanks for the gaming advice!

Slàinte,

C.W.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Module #124 - Game #2

CelticWolf said:
Actually, I'm having a lot of fun with the Boot Hill/D&D hybrid
I think we all are CW. And Gary, no need to apologize for the thread hijack, I didn't have the next chapter ready to post until now and it's great to finally get another member of the gaming group here on this board.

Chapter 43, “Booking Passage”, December 4th, 1881:

The gang continues to walk around. Louie comments “We in big ugly city. Buildings big ugly squares and roofs all wrong. Roof should have slant shape.” Hank comments, “A’Yup, and it’s mighty cold here too.” Morgana interjects “Of course you think it cold. You’re from Texas.” “And mighty proud of it,” he replies. "Figures," Sam mutters.

The group considers that since they are in New York City they should maybe pay a visit to the publisher who had put out the bogus biography about Arcade. “We could get some of profits” Louie exclaims. Morgana expresses that she is also interested in setting the record straight. Hank comments “Hold on. I think we should go see him to thank the man. Any press is good press.” Morgana disagrees.

Sam states, “If we do see him it will be all over the papers.” Arcade comments, “We haven’t identified ourselves to anyone since leaving Santa Fe, and it’s safer for our friends back at the Cantina if everyone thinks that we might be returning at any time. I'd also like to keep the European trip quiet for the time being." The gang decides to skip the visit to the publisher.

Arcade suggests that they go book passage on the ship. Morgana again states her reservations, given that she can’t swim. “Why you no swim?” Louie asks. She replies, “I never learned. Back in Boston it is not considered proper for women to display their limbs and there weren’t many opportunities for swimming when I lived out on the barren plains.” Louie inquires about the type of boats available and describes the Chinese boats he is familiar with. “Aren’t those called junks?” Morgana asks. Hank interjects, “Now now, let’s not be insulting his boats.”

Morgana suggests that they find some lodgings first, thinking that they would have an easier time booking passage if she is dressed as an Easterner. Arcade comments, “How about we form a circle and open up our coats to shield you?” She replies, “I’m serious! I’d like a chance to wash up to.” Arcade glances at Hank and comments, “I think someone else should think of changing too.” Hank retorts “What’s wrong with what I’m wearing right now?” Arcade replies, “Three things. First, it’s on you. Second, it’s always on you. Third, it’s never been off you.”

They continue in the direction of the docks. Sam mutters, “We should be careful about this.” Arcade says, “Play it cool, boy.” That comment prompts the players around the table to start snapping their fingers, whistling, and singing the lyrics to the song "Cool" from “West Side Story.” The DM eventually stops them with the comment “Right city, but I think you’re about a century too early.” A player says, “Yeah, and the Jets greatly outnumber the Sharks, Aiden’s the only Hispanic in the group.”

They come upon a rather average looking inn named the “Evening Repose”. The gang goes in and gets a distasteful look from the arrogant manager. They ask about staying for the evening. “Are you sure you can afford to stay here?” the man asks. “How much?” Arcade asks. He replies, “3.00 a night for a large common room with bunks or $2.00 a night for regular rooms.” Morgana tosses $ 6.00 at the man and says, “We’ll take three rooms, and I want a bath drawn in mine.”

The manager appears reluctant to give them the keys. Hank says, “Look, we won’t be any trouble.” “We don’t tolerate that here,” the manager states. Sam says, “We’re only staying until we can find a ship going to Europe.” The manager replies, “Are you booking passage or working it?” “Just give us the keys,” Morgana states. The man does so, and sarcastically asks, “Do you need help with your bags.” “We can handle that ourselves,” Hank snaps back.

The group head to their rooms and all freshen up, with Qualtaqa borrowing a shirt from Sam. Morgana bathes and then dresses up in her best suit. Arcade changes into his best clothes. The reassemble in the lobby and Arcade asks the manager about where to go to book passage. He says, “This is a hotel, not a ship.” Arcade says, “What ship companies are nearby?” The man states that there are a number of ocean liners including Cunnard, White Star and Blue Star with offices down the street. The group departs.

They arrive at the offices of the White Star Line, which has portraits on display in the lobby of their various ships. “These look nice,” Aiden states. Arcade makes an inquiry and is told that the ocean liner Oceanic will be departing from New York to Liverpool on the sixth. Arcade and Morgana are asked where on the boat they want to book passage in 1st Class, 2nd Class or Steerage. Louie says, “No want bottom of boat.” Morgana reminds Arcade that the listing of all 1st Class passengers is printed in all of the social registers. He replies, “Good point, 2nd Class sounds like the best bet.” “Just so not below,” Louie states.

As Arcade is buying the tickets, Sam expressing some concern about ocean travel. Hank finds the picture on the wall of the Oceanic, and says, “The engraving plate says it was launched in 1871. This ship’s been making this journey for ten years now. It’s safe.” “It only has to sink once,” Sam replies. The clerk points out that the Line has a good service record, having not had a ship sink in fifteen years. Hank comments, “It’ll be safe. Heck, if we find that we like it we may want to continue travelling on White Star Line ships.”

The group leaves the ship office and finds a nice seafood restaurant near the docks for a nice supper. They return to the hotel and turn in for the night.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hey SilverMoon,

What was the price you charged for 2nd class passage fron NYC to London? did you use actual prices from that period? If so, where did you find the information?

You'd never guess I am a game designer...

Cheers,
Gary

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases