Things I miss from 2nd edition

Rashak Mani

First Post
I miss the Book Covers !!! :)

That Knight charging with the Sword... that sexy lady in the Tome of Magic...

I do miss the the character creation system of that last book... darn even forgot name now... with the points and all... made for some very interesting characters... min/max heaven but also great for character creation and ideas.

Tsyr

Explorer
What do I miss from the olden days?

I miss Dragonlance.

I miss diferent clerical spell lists.

I miss Dragonlance.

I miss Spelljammer.

I miss Dragonlance.

I really miss the artwork (I'm one of those that strongly dislikes the "dungeon punk" look WotC tried to go to... Thankfully some of the third parties still use a more 1E/2E flavor of artwork). To paraphrase a LotR joke, I long for the days of yore, when men were men, and dwarves were dwarves, and elves didn't wear mohawks.

I miss Dragonlance.

I miss dwarven women having beards as cannon (they still do in my campagin)

I miss Dragonlance.

I miss halflings being more like hobbits, which is strange because I love dragonlance and kender... But halflings as slightly less kleptomaniacle kender just doesn't do it for me.

I miss Dragonlance.

I miss the old gnomes. Again, oddly since I like Dragonlance, but the "non insane tinker race" gnomes just don't work for me as a default race.

I miss Dragonlance.

I miss the dual-stat system that Players Option introduced, I forget the exact name of it off hand.

Did I mention I miss Dragonlance?

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
What I Miss From 1e

Yanno what I miss from 1e ADnD?

The random whores table from the back of the 1e DMG in the city encounters.

Ahhh...such colorful terms...

Slovenly trull
Brazen strumpet
Cheap trollop
Typical streetwalker
Saucy tart
Wanton wench
Expensive doxy
Haughty courtesan
Aged madam
Wealthy procuress
Sly pimp
Rich panderer

Those were the days, were they not?

I used to use these terms to insult the cheerleaders in my highschool...

Saucy tarts!! Brazen strumpets!! Wouldnt let me in their little clique...

Well we geek girls have cliques too! Yeah...thats it! NEENER NEENER NEENER!!

Edit: (reminder to self...never post to the boards before coffee....)

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
Ahhh, the things I miss going to a small town school :)

What with a small population anyhow, the entire "Geek" cliche was a grand total of five guys and two girls.

Skullfyre

First Post
Tsyr said:
Ahhh, the things I miss going to a small town school :)

What with a small population anyhow, the entire "Geek" cliche was a grand total of five guys and two girls.

I resent that.....
It was 4 guys and 3 girls in my town

:D

Need more sleep....

Last edited:

Ace

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Amusingly enough, I find that lots of hit points are great. One PC in my game has 177 hit points at 15th lvl, and it's *easy* to get her down into low numbers, even with stoneskins and endurance spells. Lots of hit points mean that the bad guys can unleash their full power on the PCs, and you don't have to worry as much about "accidentally" killing them.

To get back on topic, the only thing I really miss from 2e are highly customized clerical spell lists, and swords of sharpness.

- Piratecat

I couldn't agree more Piratecat.

I do almost exactly the same thing with HP and it works great for me. I admit I really don't have to, my players are crafty and rarely get hit but still that buffer is great for me as a DM

Now back on topic I miss specialty clerics and the Funky Powers they had, the spheres were really cool too.

I alos miss the kits a teeny bit but other than the Sea Ranger and a few others most of the ones after the fighters handbook were either useless or munchkin bait.

Ace

Adventurer
Corinth said:
It's not like I'm new to this; I've thwopped orcs with my +1 sword (as it were) for 20 years now. I still don't understand the nostalgia; I hated the previous two editions of the rules, and I am not at all amused by their reincarnation in the form of Hackmaster.

Uncle Corinth doesn't get it.

So did I for the most part. However there were a few sections of 2e rules that were very good.

Hackmaster is useless to me as well but for some YMMV I guess. I just find it hard to believe there are like 9-10 books out already for what is essentially a playable joke.

Tsyr

Explorer
Ace said:

So did I for the most part. However there were a few sections of 2e rules that were very good.

Hackmaster is useless to me as well but for some YMMV I guess. I just find it hard to believe there are like 9-10 books out already for what is essentially a playable joke.

You are working under a flawed assumption.

Hackmaster is a very real, viable, fully fleshed out game system. It's very detailed, quite well done, fun to play, and has a feal all it's own.

The game itself was never, I repeat never intended to be a joke. The folks at Kenzer and Co are on the record as having stated, a number of times, that they would not do a Hackmaster game unless it was a real game, that was fully intended to be played. It would be easy for them to crank out a joke game in a few weeks, but that is exactly what they didn't want to do.

I'm going to quote the back of the Hackmaster Guide for a moment...

...and while this is the 4th edition of the HackMaster game, in another time, another edition or an alternate universe, this could easily have been called "3E". It's the 1st/2nd edition with new crunchy-bits and a whole lot of fresh attitude.

And that is very true. Hackmaster is, basicly, what would have happened if WotC had decided to release a 3E without going to the D20 system. It is not a "joke". It has some humor scattered throughout the books, but you know, I say good for it. I dearly love Shadowrun, but the books are dry as sand to read. A bit of humor makes them much more palatable.

And believe it or not, there are a lot of people who don't like 3E. I'm not one of them, mind you, but there are. I know, I game with some. They will proclaim till their dying days that 1E/2E were better. And most of them now play Hackmaster and are very happy with it. Heck, I play Hackmaster and am very happy with it, and I love 3E for the most part.

To quote a friend of mine, Hackmaster feels like a resurected TSR, with just a touch of cynicism for being left for dead.

Vaxalon

First Post
Piratecat said:
With average damage of 70 pts, I hope he makes his DC 15 fortitude save vs massive damage.... :)

First of all, that's an optional rule.

Given that he has a +12 from his class, and probably +2 from his Constitution, he could probably do it naked.

Skullfyre

First Post
Vaxalon said:

First of all, that's an optional rule.

Given that he has a +12 from his class, and probably +2 from his Constitution, he could probably do it naked.

Yes, but do you want to see that barbarian doing the save naked? *shudder*

*Corvus to the Party Barbarian Smeg"Put some dang clothes on you half orc Buffoon"*

Remove ads