Things I miss from 2nd edition

Devall2000

First Post
I miss the old saving throws and THACO. Granted, I know they weren't the easiest to pick up, but it was what I was raised on.

I miss having a multitude of campaign worlds. While I miss Dragonlance and Ravenloft. I believe I miss Birthright most of all.

However, I enjoy 3rd edition very much. I like the idea behind hackmaster. However, I find the materials are over priced.

I like a lot of the old illustrations. I do not enjoy the 3E artwork very much.

-Jamie

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Vaxalon said:

First of all, that's an optional rule.

Given that he has a +12 from his class, and probably +2 from his Constitution, he could probably do it naked.

First of all, it's not an optional rule. Check your Player's Handbook again. Perhaps you're confusing it with massive damage based on creature size (where the threshold for "massive damage" can be different from 50 for creatures other than medium-size), which is an optional rule.

And yes, the high-level fighter is very likely to have at least a +14 modifier to his Fortitude saves. But, as I recall, a 1 is still an automatic miss on saving throws, which would certainly make me think twice about jumping off that cliff if I didn't need to.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Put some nasty spikes are debris on the bottom of the cliff... for that extra damage and save penalty... :)

Dex check in order not to land on your thick head...

Geoffrey

First Post
Devall2000 said:
I like the idea behind hackmaster. However, I find the materials are over priced.

?

The Hacklopedia of Beasts series has a somewhat lower-than-average price, while the HackMaster Players Handbook and (even more so) the Gamemaster's Guide have about the best words per dollar ratio of any game product I've ever seen. Just look at the GMG. That thing is jam packed! It has tiny margins. It has tiny print. It has almost 400 pages. And it's only $30!

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Devall2000 said:
However, I enjoy 3rd edition very much. I like the idea behind hackmaster. However, I find the materials are over priced.

I think HackMaster books are much better bargains than similar books for 3e. The GameMaster's Guide, for example, is enormous, and chock-full of info that could easily be used for 3e or any number of fantasy rpgs. It only $30 US, and has much more content than any given $30 book by WotC or just about any other game company.

EOL

First Post
I think specialty clerics were better in 2e sure they was not core mechanic and in a book like Faith and Avatars some specialty clerics were hideously over-powered while some weren't worth the trouble but overall you could get quite a bit of flavor into the cleric. Flavor that the domain system hasn't been able match yet.

Someguy

First Post
I miss all the weapons and equipment...the equipment now just seems so generalized...

I mostly miss the ART...it was SO much better than now...and I liked how varied it was...

I miss Delsenora and Rath

Remove ads