Thinking of Joining Roll20? Lock In Your Sub Now!

Roll20 is increasing its monthly sub from $4.99 to $5.99 per month, but you can lock in the lower price by signing up before July 1st. Monthly Plus subs go from $4.99 to $5.99l Annual Plus subs go from $49.99 to $59.99 Monthly Pro subs go from $9.99 to $10.99; Annual Pro subs go from $99.00 to $109.99 If you subscribe before July 1st, you get locked in to the old price for two years. I can't...

Roll20 is increasing its monthly sub from $4.99 to $5.99 per month, but you can lock in the lower price by signing up before July 1st.
  • Monthly Plus subs go from $4.99 to $5.99l Annual Plus subs go from $49.99 to $59.99
  • Monthly Pro subs go from $9.99 to $10.99; Annual Pro subs go from $99.00 to $109.99
If you subscribe before July 1st, you get locked in to the old price for two years. I can't promise you'll be as good-looking as the folks in the screenshot, though!

hero-vtt.png

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
This requires supporting the developer’s Patreon, right? Which is probably still worth it for a month, but worth noting. (And correct me if it doesn’t.)
There are a couple of developers that provide this functionality. Mr. Primate requires support via Patreon to get the monthly key, but provides the best bulk import. VTTA Assets uses Patreon for updates and support, but I think you can continue using the Chrome add-in and Foundry module without monthly support.

Those who use The Forge to host their instance of Foundry will soon have access to D&D Beyond integration but it is still in alpha and I'm afraid to use it.

Since I don't care about adventure import and only need character, item, spell, and monster import, Mr. Primate's importer has best met my needs.

Retreater

Legend
I really dislike D&D Beyond, so until there's some D&D support for Foundry that isn't tied to D&D Beyond, I won't use it for 5e.
I'm at the point now where I was trying to get into Foundry but realized the features it adds are bells and whistles that just aren't needed for my games. (Ambient sound effects, animated snow, etc.) It's better for PF2 because it actually has almost all of the content available, but unless you're doing a complex system like PF2, it just doesn't seem worth it. And if Roll20 would put the PF2 content on there, it definitely wouldn't be worth it to learn a new VTT that is more complex in every facet.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm always amazed so few people mention Astral, as it looks great.

I'm currently testing five 3d systems, but none of them have good support for gaming. What they have is a very different feel sure to bring 3d. Hoping to have multiple videos up soon comparing them all.

I am a player on roll20. It's fine, but not great. I have a Foundry license, but my group broke up, and so haven't really tested it.

Laslo

First Post
The difficulty I'm having with moving from FG to Foundry for a possible Savage Worlds game is many fold but basically boils down to: You must UNLEARN what you have LEARNED. ;)

When I went to the Reddit r/foundryvtt page (which the FoundryVTT homepage points you to, incase someone is wondering why I went to Reddit) and asked if there was a tutorial on it, I got the responses of "No, there isn't" (which was helpful) and "What are you talking about? It just plain works out of the box. We use it all the time." (which was not. And it didn't help that the person saying this to me was factually wrong in other parts of his reply which degraded my confidence in his answers). So, documentation, tutorials and help is lacking when compared to the incredible community at FG forums and the multitude of FG tutorials on Youtube.

I mean, my issues are not large...

For example: How do you move things from the Gear tab to the Traits Tab > Quick access area? Is that even possible? If not, why is the quick access area there? When I add something to the Quick Access area (such as a weapon), why can't I seem to delete it from there instead of having to go to the Gear tab? I can delete Active Effects from there, though.

When I target a creature and roll the attack, why doesn't it tell me if I hit the target or not? Why doesn't it tell me if I got a raise? Is it able to do this and I just set it up wrong? Or does it just not do so?

When I attack with a weapon, do I have to roll the Attack from the Traits tab then change to the Gear tab to roll the damage? Why isn't Fighting a field in the item on the Gear tab so I don't have to go back and forth? Or is there a way to do both from one tab?

Why can't I see both the Combat Tracker and the Chat at the same time and have to pop back and forth between the two to advance the combat and then see what is happening during the combat? If I can, how do I do that?

... But they are piling up on each other.

TLDR: I wish Foundry had better documentation and tutorials for beginners and people switching VTTs.

Just a quick edit/Note: Some of these things I've learned since posting but I learned them by... uh... watching a tutorial. See how that works. heh. ;)
I was originally going to post some answers to your questions, but then saw you figured them out.
IMO the best place to learn about a particular system in Foundry is to go to the Foundry Discord server and check out the channel for the system you're interested in. There are usually some pinned posts or you can search for your question or you can just ask and usually get an answer pretty quickly. The dev for the SWADE system is in there a lot and quite a few people are very knowledgeable.

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
I'm also in the process of getting Awfully Cheerful Engine Roll20-ready, so it's interesting to see it from the other side too.
Is there any chance that W.O.I.N. will be made "Roll20-ready"? I know there is a NEW character sheet available to Roll20, but it's no where near as good as the one for 5e and it's definitely geared for NEW, not NOW or OLD, in terms of race selections, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads