• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Those of you who have actually PLAYED 5e...

Agamon

Adventurer
I find that my players, who are mostly vets of previous editions, make a lot of assumptions because it's D&D and very familiar with some subtle differences. I do my best try and stay ahead of it with advice, but sometimes the odd surprise happens during play. Inform them that this might happen so that it's less of a surprise when it happens.

I tend to just let it go, and tell everyone that we'll go by the 5e rule from there on. It's a good way to learn. The most egregious example was the session the war cleric's player cast Thunderwave. "That's a cleric spell?" I asked. "Yep." I took his word for it, and actually didn't figure out otherwise until between sessions.

Lalato

Adventurer
This one bit me in the behind in our last session. Acrobatics doesn't reduce falling damage. o.0 Bye bye 1st level character.

Also, if the question is... does this stack with that? The answer is generally, No.

Mindseye

Explorer
My advice tidbit would be to be liberal with giving out advantage and disadvantage! It's a fun mechanic and players seem to really enjoy it.

I'm still experimenting with how much to use it, but I'm leaning toward "often."

drjones

Explorer
Remind yourself about inspiration. I expanded it a bit and pretty much gave it out for any RP or combat that I thought was awesome or fun but I still forget it half the time.

Syntallah

First Post
Set ground rules about terminology from earlier editions right up front. Trust me, this will avoid confusion on down the road, and limit the bad assumptions made about certain rules. For instance:

- there is no 5ft step
- there is no flanking
- interacting with an object is NOT a minor action (it's free in 5E parlance)
- etc, etc

My biggest problem is separating the rules I remember from the playtest and the rules that actually exist in the book.

I'd recommend the same thing I recommend for the first time playing any new system: keep a pad of paper nearby and write down rules questions to look up after the game. Try to limit searching for rules at the table (except for the really important ones) and making rulings, and remember to check after the game so you know next time.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Have fun with the game.

Don't sweat the detail. Player wants to do something interesting, ability check with possible add in for specific proficiency or expertise.

Have players learn move+action+bonus action (if they have one). Remind them they can move, attack, move, attack (if they have multiple attacks and enough movement left after the first move, attack).

Let them do an incidental action as part of a move like stated in the guide (open a door if it isn't stuck, sheathe or unsheathe a weapon, change a weapon, pick up an easy to grasp item, etc.) - by letting them do these things you'll see how creative and active the game can really become.

Be careful with paralysis condition (ghouls, etc.). Any attack on a paralyzed (or unconscious) creature gains advantage to hit and any hit counts as a critical hit.

Play around with the monster assortment and numbers to get the feel for it. The encounter design guidelines are a start, but they aren't exact. If any average or low average PC is attacked by 2 or more monsters it is very dangerous (especially if they have multi-attack). Also, area of effect spells or attacks are also quite dangerous.

To make sure I don't overwhelm or kill players too often (especially at lower levels) I tend to use a lot of encounters that are rated easy or medium, and then if I want more difficulty, I add reinforcements or a new threat that comes in a few rounds later (when I already know that the PCs have a handle on the encounter).

Enjoy.

Remove ads