D&D 5E Thoughts on 6-7-13 Playtest Packet

On the point about yelling and charging.

The reason we don't allow the leader to react to his own yell is that speaking (and yelling generally) isn't limited to initiative. I'd actually not allow a yell to trigger an action by and large for exactly this reason.

If the party can all ready an action to move when my PC yells, I can yell at any point in the initiative order and they get their action.

I'd say that the readied action has to key off of my charge. When I charge, then everyone else does.

Meh, we went through the same discussions with 4e, and clearly you guys did too and inevitably came to no real conclusion because there IS no good conclusion. The 4e 'Ready an Action' rules are quite ambiguous. The general discussion talks about describing what triggers, and then the actual boxed rules text is almost diametrically opposite, stating that it has to be an action of a specific enemy, etc. If you play it that way however it wrecks a good bit of the usefulness and leads to illogical situations at times. The problem is there will never be a bright line as to what is "significant enough" or "exact enough wording" to count as a legitimate trigger. Like all things in RPGs you MUST leave leeway because the rules of a game don't define what can happen, they can only resolve it when it DOES happen. Saying "You may only trigger an action via an action of your own taken on your own turn" (or some such construct, which is what you're basically saying) is just as bad as AD&D's "A wizard cannot swing a sword". Inevitably a player says "My wizard picks up the sword and swings it" and the refusal of the rules to provide a way to handle that doesn't make it any less necessary for the DM to ACTUALLY handle it, it just makes the rules less useful.

So, if I can make a recommendation, just tell us how to handle the "when I yell go you all charge. DM I'm yelling when the orc comes through the door!" and provide us with a nice sidebar that explains your rationale and possible different options in different situations, because the very first thing that will happen is the unexpected. This ain't no wargame.

pemerton

Legend
My players delay all the time - which means that, over the course of a combat, they two sides tend to bunch together in the intitiative order - but only rarely ready actions. So I don't have much experience in adjudicating "readying". But I am sceptical of the idea that I can ready an action to be triggered by my own free action (like yelling a battle cry) - whereas me readying to charge the orcs, and my friends readying to charge with me, sounds fine.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Paladin got exclusive access to beefy 3E spells:

1st: Divine favour
2nd: Magic weapon (Wiz only gets this too)
4th: Divine power

Makes them a bit of a power-house when buffed. Sweet!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Anyone notice that the Blackguard can be LN or LE now? That bugs me. Either have alignment restrictions or don't. Half-assing it doesn't help anyone.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think "half-assing it" is slightly unfair: Warden too has two alignment possibilities. Allowing choice takes nothing away, and still allows alignment-appropriate engagement with undead.

I can take it or leave it, but the addition of some choice doesn't seem intrinsically bad to me.

Last edited:

Remove ads