D&D 5E Thoughts On How To Do High Level Adventures.

S'mon

Legend
I do have a copy of the DM's Option High Level Campaigns. Honestly, I wasn't impressed by its tedious rules focus. And its treatment of "DM advice" is trite and un-specific to high level campaigns; for example Chapter 2's advice about "Don't Over Plan – Prepare" and "Creating Multiple Threats" and "All Failures Are Not Catastrophic" is equally valid regardless of what level the PCs are. It's stuff I've already been doing as a DM for a long time now.

What value did you find in the book, I wonder?

I agree completely, I bought it when it came out and found it very poor, enough so that I got rid of it. I too am wondering what I missed.

Sadras

Legend
Besides all the great advice already given in this thread, at high levels I'd alter the game rules slightly - in combat in particular.

Think of a dragon's sweeping tail or the bashing club of a mighty giant - just the size of these creatures means they are not going to miss. So bring back the touch attack (10 + dex + magical bonuses..etc) and let the armour's contribution to AC be usable to offset damage. So that chain shirt does nothing for your AC against these attacks, but is able to soak 3 damage. Have cover do the same - with pillars, furniture, walls lending soak damage but not adding to the AC as the attacks smash away the architecture converting the surrounding terrain into difficult terrain with all the debri or the building becomes unstable.
Things get rather tense if the monster's attack is too big to miss every round and the location becomes an obstacle course.

Have ghosts, spectres and the like ignore physical armours as their ever chilling necrotic touch easily bypasses the breastplate and clothing burying into the character's chest.

Invite degrees of success for Legendary Beasts - so a 10 above the target required converts the hit into critical damage. Perhaps add an effect with every hit (save vs condition - prone, stunned, swallowed, or being pushed/shoved, disarmed etc).
And if failing a spell saving throw by 10 or more, have the damage double - so that the Big Bad Evil Avatar unleashes Legendary Magic which would otherwise obliterate weaker adventurers.

Have Lich's spells cause life-draining damage in an aura around it in addition to the spell's effects instantly slaying familiars or a Demon that saps magic as it casts, so it disables protective spells (like Shield, Mage Armour...etc), buffs (Invisibility, Haste...etc) and other (Waterbreathing..etc) and temporarily even the magic of items worn or carried wane for a round as the spell is cast.

Give beasts a Might trait, where each size the beast is greater than the character, it gains an additional +4 bonus to the beast's strength based checks. That should make characters think twice about grappling anyone or anything.

Turn a dragon's breath weapon x 100 - imagine what it does to weapons, clothing and armour and your backpack. Leave the hit point damage the same, but potion vials carried explode, clothing and gear becomes irreparably damaged, fires carry on burning, acid leaves pits, cold and heat attacks affect weapons and armour, making it unbearable to hold a weapon or wear any metal, think adding affects such as Heat/Freeze Metal in certain dragon attacks for those captured in the blast. Have the bow strings melt away. It does a lot to enhance the danger and lengthen the duration of combat if SS and GWM are unavailble for a round or two because the weapons are damaged or too hot or cold to be carried.

And please give monster's threatening reach, especially as the character's are trying to scramble away to safety, pick up a weapon knocked 15 feet away or head towards the nearest body of water screaming "It burns, it burns, my God it burns!"

These and other simple ways to interpret the battle that ensues can make even high-level characters feel humbled by it all.

Lastly and most importantly, don't forget as DM, you need to smile as this is all going on, as it is a game at the end of the day and it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Last edited:

werecorpse

Adventurer
Not sure I like converting ac to touch ac for big creatures, might just do degrees of success ie if hit by less than 5 do X damage if hit by more than 5 do x+3d10 damage etc
I like the idea of "massive damage effects" of fire, acid etc. The AD&D dungeon masters guide had a table for objects to save vs magical effects which wiped out plenty of potions.

One thing I haven't noticed mentioned...

Give monsters class levels. Give them the same tools that the players are using against them. This takes some of the less effective mobs and adds the element of surprise when they start doing things like backstabbing, or using Warlock invocations. It also allows you to tailor your mobs to exploit your party's weaknesses.

S'mon

Legend
Think of a dragon's sweeping tail or the bashing club of a mighty giant - just the size of these creatures means they are not going to miss. So bring back the touch attack (10 + dex + magical bonuses..etc) and let the armour's contribution to AC be usable to offset damage. So that chain shirt does nothing for your AC against these attacks, but is able to soak 3 damage. Have cover do the same - with pillars, furniture, walls lending soak damage but not adding to the AC as the attacks smash away the architecture converting the surrounding terrain into difficult terrain with all the debri or the building becomes unstable.
Things get rather tense if the monster's attack is too big to miss every round and the location becomes an obstacle course.

For a "too big to miss" attack I'd think DEX save for half (or nil) handles it fine.

Edit: For other stuff I use a Defence Class - 8 + Prof + DEX - which works like a touch AC.
Use sparingly though!

Luz

Explorer
Some good ideas here. I think one important direction is to revisit solo monsters/ legendary monsters/ lair actions and make them much tougher. I think you could really push PCs with monsters with multiple actions/reactions without having to have mass fights with 136 purple worms, etc.
The Angry GM wrote an interesting 5e article on designing solo/boss fights using a two-in-one creature Paragon template.

http://theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/

Of course, it's advice that can be used for any level of play but might make for a more appropriate twist on a high level boss. If you have the patience to sift through his verbosity, there are some pretty good ideas in there. I used this once with a behir and it worked fairly well.

CydKnight

Explorer
My thoughts are the same for any other level adventure. Assuming one is already an experienced DM, try not to overthink it. Play something that is fun for you and the players and let the cards fall where they may. It probably won't be perfect but how many campaigns are? Learn from the experience and improve on it in the next one.

Remove ads