• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Thoughts on Multi Class Monk Build

NitesShade

Villager
I am new to E5 and playing a Kensei Monk who just reached level 6. I am considering multi classing at 7th and have broken my progression up into 4 phases with phases 2 and 3 being interchangeable. Yes I have read that multi classing Monk is not the norm so I would like to get the thoughts of more experienced players about the build and what I am giving up as far as high level abilities.

Phase 1: <Complete>
Kensei level 6 picking wielding Darts, Long bow, Warhammer for 1d10 versatile weapon attack to go with my attach routine of Weapon strike, Kick, Flurry of Blows. There is also the option to deal 1d4 additional bludgeoning damage as a bonus action (don't use that much). At this point my arsenal consists of:

Offensive Benefits:
-- Feat: Sharpshooter
-- Weapon attack (1d10 Versatile)
-- Extra attack: Unarmed strike (1d6)
-- Flurry of blows (1d6)(1d6)
-- Stunning strike
-- Magic Weapon (Kensei weapons)
-- Precise Strike (Kensei: Prof Bonus X2)
-- Kensei Bludgeoning bonus action (1d4)

Defensive Benefits:
-- High AC
-- High MV rate
-- Deflect missiles
-- Patient defense
-- Step of the wind
-- Kensei weapon defense +2 AC <think this might mean forgoing a weapon att>
-- Slow fall

Phase 2: Ranger 2-3 levels <2 only to gain ASI or ALERT feat later>
Offensive Benefits:
-- Archery (+2 Att roll)
-- Spell casting 2-3 spells per long rest
- - Hunters mark
- - Jump
- - Hail of thorns
- - Ensnaring strike
<Choose 1>
-- (3rd level) OPTION #1:
-- Hunters Prey <Choose 1>
- - Colossus Slayer (+1d8 DAM on wounded CR) <I think this stacks with my other DAM>
- - Horde Breaker (bonus att CR w/n 5') <Not sure if this stacks>
-- (3rd level) OPTION #2: Primeval Guardian
- - Piercing thorns (1d6 additional DAM once per round)
- - Defensive Benefit: Guardian Soul (temp HPs/rds; cost is mobility)
-- (3rd level) OPTION #3: Deep Stalker
- - +10 movement & +1 att (round 1 only)
- - Defensive Benefit: Hide bonus action
- - Misc. Benefit: Darkvision range 90'
- - Misc. Benefit: Disguise Self Spell

Phase 3: Assassin 3-4 levels
Offensive Benefits:
-- Assassinate: att roll advantage on CR who have not taken turn the Combat
-- Assassinate: All hits vs surprised CR = critical hit

Phase 4: Kensei from then on finishing out with a keystone event of Diamond Soul <should the campaign somehow reach 20th level>

Any thoughts or feedback is welcome. I have no idea how high level play will be like and do not want to be under powered around level 15.

Last edited:

NitesShade

Villager
If you two in Ranger you might as well go three for the subclass features. Gloomstalker seems like the right pick for an assassin type build. It synergizes really well with assassin anyway, so why not.

I agree
[Alert feat] +5 initiative
[Gloomstarker] +10 MV round 1
[Gloomstarker] +1 ATT round 1
[Monk] Stunning Strike
[Monk] Flurry of Blows
[Assassin] Advantage vs CR who haven't taken a turn in the combat
[Assassin] Alls hits on surprised CR = critical hit

Make for some pretty interesting melee options. Plus the Sharpshooter Feet at (-5 to hit equates to nice long range damage).

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
There some solid synergy there with the Flurry, the GS extra attack and damage, and the assassinate rule. Not game breaking or anything, but cool. Toss on Hunters Mark and it looks pretty cool, and the GS spells are right on point. More importantly, it sounds like a fun character to play.

G

Guest 6801328

Kind of off-topic, but I keep daydreaming about Assassin 17, Grave Domain Cleric 2, with Purple Worm Poison. When the stars align and you use your Channel Divinity then get a surprise attack and your target fails its save* you do: (10d6 * 2) + 12d6 + 5) * 2 * 2 = 468 (avg) 788 (max). In one hit.

It would be worth playing the entire campaign just to have this work once against a really high level boss (who doesn't have Legendary Resistance, anyway).

*Maybe spend the last slot on Divination Wizard, just to help nudge the failed saving throw.

NitesShade

Villager
Kind of off-topic, but I keep daydreaming about Assassin 17, Grave Domain Cleric 2, with Purple Worm Poison. When the stars align and you use your Channel Divinity then get a surprise attack and your target fails its save* you do: (10d6 * 2) + 12d6 + 5) * 2 * 2 = 468 (avg) 788 (max). In one hit.

It would be worth playing the entire campaign just to have this work once against a really high level boss (who doesn't have Legendary Resistance, anyway).

*Maybe spend the last slot on Divination Wizard, just to help nudge the failed saving throw.

I have not looked at the Grave Domain Cleric. That is a lot of damage.

Personally I'll refrain from anything but targeted use of poison. If I were to start leaving a trail of bodies bloated with purple worm poison, I just imagine nasty consequences when it caught up to me:
-- some equivalent of the Harpers trying ferret me out.
-- Bounty on the head of the purple worm murderer
-- Or me catching a dagger of venom in the back from some unscrupulous miscreant

I know my DM and turn about is fair play.

However, I will put Purple Worm Poison on my list of items to collect for that special occasion. You never know.
Lol.

G

Guest 6801328

I have not looked at the Grave Domain Cleric. That is a lot of damage.

Personally I'll refrain from anything but targeted use of poison. If I were to start leaving a trail of bodies bloated with purple worm poison, I just imagine nasty consequences when it caught up to me:
-- some equivalent of the Harpers trying ferret me out.
-- Bounty on the head of the purple worm murderer
-- Or me catching a dagger of venom in the back from some unscrupulous miscreant

I know my DM and turn about is fair play.

However, I will put Purple Worm Poison on my list of items to collect for that special occasion. You never know.
Lol.

Oh, yeah, you wouldn't use it as a regular thing (partly because of the cost...look it up). But you might save it for that special someone.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm AFB but it sounds like you are assigning too much to the first few levels of Ranger. My pre-subclass Ranger was not doing all of that cool stuff.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
There's no point in Ranger over Fighter unless you hit the Ranger subclass IMO. Maybe if you're using the UA Ranger. I guess if you really want that handful of spells...

Dausuul

Legend
First, keep in mind that your campaign may not run long enough for you to see the topmost tiers of play. Most campaigns don't. I'm not saying you shouldn't give any thought to the final tier, but don't put too much weight on it.

Second, if you plan to go assassin, Gloom Stalker ranger is definitely the way to go. The synergy there is fantastic. If you can get surprise on your enemies and drop a hunter's mark on the first round, you can unload a barrage of attacks with bonus damage dice and then double everything.

Even without that, the Gloom Stalker has a lot of very nice toys, especially Umbral Sight, which makes you a god when fighting in darkness. (Do note that this requires the rest of your party to have darkvision or they will be fighting blind; if they don't have it naturally, there are spells and magic items to supply it for them.)

Remove ads