Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
is it worth watching for a guy who knows only the basics, they only had classic transformer reruns never he man.
I’d actually be really interested in the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the previous story. Its an okay story and I did wonder to myself if viewing it as a stand alone narrative would make it better

Zardnaar

Legend
In not overly familiar with the previous story. I had a few if the toys intbe 80's and the half remembered pack in comics.

Was planning on watching it soon just sidetracked with 10 seasons of Taskmaster.

hopeless

Adventurer
There's a difference between criticizing a body of work and reviewing your own work. Present your ideas and let others be the judge of whether they're better. You don't get to tell us your ideas are good. We'll tell you.

I mean, if reviewing your own work was valid, I wouldn't complain. All my books would have amazing five-star reviews!
If you paid attention to the point you'd understand I wasn't reviewing my own work but pointing out ways that series could have actually being better and even emphasising that fact by pointing out I'm NOT a hardcore fan of He Man but I still care enough to TRY to come up with something that works.

As I stated this is what I can come up with, these people if they had any clue about the franchise they were making use of SHOULD have done FAR better.

So incredible animation, a great cast, but a crap script.

THAT was the point.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you paid attention to the point you'd understand I wasn't reviewing my own work but pointing out ways that series could have actually being better and even emphasising that fact by pointing out I'm NOT a hardcore fan of He Man but I still care enough to TRY to come up with something that works.

As I stated this is what I can come up with, these people if they had any clue about the franchise they were making use of SHOULD have done FAR better.

So incredible animation, a great cast, but a crap script.

THAT was the point.
You presented your ideas and then unilaterally declared them better than those in the show. That is, indeed, reviewing your own work. I’m saying its for others to decide if your ideas are better. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t — but that’s not your call, any more than it’s Kevin Smith’s. I mean, I don’t think they’re better, but I’m just one voice.

Rune

Once A Fool
Hmm I’m not sure how Skeletor getting hold of the sword and becoming a god is any less male power fantasy than He-Man.
moreover Prince Adam is hardly a character that shouts male power fantasy either. While the death of He-Man was a fine starter, bringing Adam back and then ending on a gotcha twist was not a signal of anything other than Kevin Smiths self indulgence
Gotcha twist? Marvel just used that same move 3 times in Loki (if you include the reshown Avengers footage of Loki killing Coulson).

Seems like a trope on its own by now. Sure, it subverts what the audience is expecting based on previous story beats, but it also does a fine job of re-establishing the villain as a threat. Which, in this case was necessary, because the villain had been hiding/biding his time and presumed dead.

Will it pan out? We’ll have to wait for part 2 to know that. I know this: If I pulled that move as a DM, it would be epic!

hopeless

Adventurer
N
You presented your ideas and then unilaterally declared them better than those in the show. That is, indeed, reviewing your own work. I’m saying its for others to decide if your ideas are better. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t — but that’s not your call, any more than it’s Kevin Smith’s. I mean, I don’t think they’re better, but I’m just one voice.
No I didn't I pointed out three examples that someone who isn't a hardcore fan could do with that setting and pointed out had they been actually conversant with the setting it should have been impossible to screw up that badly.
You are complaining rather than discussing the series.
Do you have argument that presents what they released in a light that isn't as dreadful?
All you've done is try to claim I can do better than them as if this is some kind of contest.
It's not I'm discussing this series and hoped someone could demonstrate just how much better this could have been had they not been so vocal when news about this series was leaked.

hopeless

Adventurer
I mean, if you're just gonna gaslight me, I'll leave you to it. :D
No I didn't you could have defended your position, but you didn't.
The only one gas lighting is you perhaps you should send me the details how to permanently unsubscribe myself if your intent is to turn this into an echo chamber instead of a discussion forum?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No I didn't you could have defended your position, but you didn't.
The only one gas lighting is you perhaps you should send me the details how to permanently unsubscribe myself if your intent is to turn this into an echo chamber instead of a discussion forum?
Mod Note:
1) Yes, you are gaslighting him. Just a few posts ago you DID unilaterally announce your versions would be better, and then denied that you announced such.

2) He does not require an echo chamber. Heck, I disagreed with him in this very thread! What he requires is that you not be combative or act like a jerk in the process of disagreeing.

Folks can get passionate about stories, which is good. We require that they not take those passions out on each other. Since that doesn't seem to be in the cards here, you can go find some other thread that doesn't bring this out in you.

Remove ads