Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I had a ton of the toys in the early-mid 80s but never watched the show. My 7yo and I watched the new one yesterday and we thought it absolutely ruled. It was funny, it was dramatic, it had strong characters, and it didn't pander. The language was a little coarse in places but nothing horrible (after all, the kid has heard worse from me).

I can see a couple of plot developments coming, and it will be interesting to see if they at out the way I expect. We look forward to the next 5 episodes.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I'm also in the boat of knowing practically nothing about any sort of canon material of the show. I vaguely remember watching the old He-man toy adve... I mean cartoons back in the day, but, did they even have a plot back then? 25 minute toy ads is basically all I remember.

So, watching this now, I'm totally lost when people start throwing out all these names and stuff... There really was a character named Fisto? Seriously? :LOL:

Stalker0

Legend
Finished the season. It was … fine enough, I feel like it’s a bit in the middle ground of too involved for kids but too simple for adults.

Orko was the highlight for me, thst was the best part of the show.

So a question, is it ever explained in the original show why all these other people know He-mans secret, but Tesla can’t?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
So a question, is it ever explained in the original show why all these other people know He-mans secret, but Tesla can’t?
Poorly. It's general opsec. The only people who were ever supposed to know were Adam himself, Duncan, and the Sorceress. Orko watched it all happen and was going to tell everyone before Duncan swore him to secrecy. And Cringer, obviously.

Marlena never explicitly admitted she knew. But when Faker held the entire royal family captive, she escaped first and used the opportunity to free Adam-- her useless, foppish princeling-- instead of Duncan, or Teela, or even Randor. At the end of the episode, when he's transformed back to Adam... he asks her why she'd do such a thing. Her response was, "A mother always knows her son, Adam. Always."

Marlena's a very low-key badass. There's a reason she's going to be my first Legends of Grayskull character.

Stalker0

Legend
Marlena's a very low-key badass. There's a reason she's going to be my first Legends of Grayskull character.
One of the few episodes I remember from the original cartoon was a mysterious pilot that saved everyone. It was then revealed that the queen was a combat pilot on earth that found her way to eternia.

that was pretty cool

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases