• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tiefling preview!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"Their skin tones cover the full range of human coloration, but also include various shades of red..."

...which is obviously why we have an image of a purple skinned Tiefling here for you.

As for the "Infernal Bloodline" and ubiquitous "big horns and big tails" appearance, I feel your pain [MENTION=11697]Shemeska[/MENTION] (and all other 2e-style/PS Tiefling lovers). It's not surprising [to me] in the least, but still unfortunate...Creators love their creations. That's really all there is to it...and, as with all other things 5e that we are seeing, the almighty Branding Iron is going to rule all...No one else is gonna get away with a Tiefling that looks like these guys. No sirree...Even though these things [and the last edition's] look like a direct rip-off of the Draenei (sp?) in WoW [hang on while I pull out my 'shock' face. I know it's around here someplace.]...SHHHH! Dont' tell WoW.

I miss the "descended from fiendish relations" tiefling as well with its greater variety and potential for both demonic and devlish heritage. I like my tieflings to be individuals and not some race.
But I imagine, like with the half-elves and half-orcs, they want to downplay the idea of sexual violence and people coupling with demons.

Still, in my campaign settings, they will have fiendish blood and the fluff about Asmodeus goes bye-bye.

shadow

First Post
I'm a little disappointed that the Tiefling is apparently the "devil-looking guy with big horns and a tail" that we saw in 4e rather than the mostly human with a taint of infernal blood that was made popular with Planescape. I can't really say about the statistics, but if the picture is any indication, I will be creating my own Tieflings for a 5e Planescape game.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
It's unusual that they went with the 4e Tiefling given how much hate it got. Must have been the loud minority not the majority. They said they are going to show more of the tiefling today, so hopefully we will see the Planescape one as well.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I'm disappointed that the 4e tiefling is the only option. I much prefer the older tieflings that could be descended from either devils or demons and that didn't have ridiculously large horns and tails.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
This is the first 5E art I'm not a fan of.

I like the CONCEPT behind the piece, I'm just not enthused about the brushstrokes being so plainly visible. It seems messy and unclear instead of the crispness I've grown used to.

ETA: Looks like they've gone with the 4E fluff.

That's exactly what I was going to say. The composition is good, but it looks unfinished.

Remove ads