• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tiers for D&D Next (Basic, Advanced, ...?)

S

Sunseeker

I would probably favor the following:
1-9: no name
10-19: Heroic
20-29: Paragon
30-40: Legendary
40+: OMGWTFBBQ

They're alignment neutral, they don't have positive or negative connotations such as "basic" or "divine". There's no "elitism" concerns such as might be common if a set is called "basic" or "expert" or "master". They're easy to pronounce and spell, and they have a sort of general sense of progression. Level 1-10 you are "normal" adventurers. 11-20 you are generally "heroic" characters, but still within the realm of the best of the best normal people. By "Paragon" you are exemplars of your people, your class, you are head and shoulders above the rest. And then in "legendary", you are truly the Hercules, the Beowulf, the characters of myth and legend whose names will last generations.

I don't think the "base" tier should have a name, because I feel it's too easy to get a bad or derogatory name such as "basic", or "normal", but I always felt that "heroic" was a little bit much for early levels.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I think we should base the tiers on player experience:

1) Grognard.
2) N00b.
3) 3tard.
4) OMG4ERUINEDMYCHILDHOOD!!!!11!?!

Ranes

Adventurer
4) OMG4ERUINEDMYCHILDHOOD!!!!11!?!

Just a tad disingenuous. Can I just point out those of us old enough to be in this tier have grown out of all caps and exclamation marks?

Seriously, let's not have tiers. People won't be able to resist writing adventures that begin or end at a given tier level and that is going to make for lots of predictable campaign structures.

Tiers give you nothing. They only prescribe. I know; it doesn't matter what I say. It'll end in tiers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads