D&D 2E Tips? Haven't DMed D&D since 2E

hawknsparrow

Explorer
Started with 2e long ago as well. Been a 5e guy since start of the edotion. Agree with the cat who recommended not going with facing. I would use the system shock and slow natural healing variants (in the DMG). Feels more like home. ;)

Mookus

Explorer
I haven't posted in a few days, but believe me I've been reading. Thanks for letting me vicari-learn from all your experiences!

Harzel

Adventurer
EDIT: This post contained a comment that was an attempt at humor, but which in retrospect I think would be for some hurtful and very unfunny. I apologize. I am removing the offending text, but, since no doubt some have already seen it, leaving this note in its place. I think perhaps there was a joke to be had here somewhere, but what I posted definitely was not it.

Last edited:

Harzel

Adventurer
I only have experience coming from 3e/4e. My only advice is to look at things from a fresh approach, and don't read restrictions that aren't there.

5e is very intentionally an exceptions-based rules design. There's very little to no hidden subsystems that require knowledge of other subsystems in order to properly use player abilities. Things normally happen as per the basic rules, as presented in the Basic Rules, as a player handout in LMoP, or in the SRD. Class abilities, including spells, count as exceptions to those rules, and are self-contained. To quote a phrase popular in another WotC game, Magic the Gathering: "Reading the card explains the card." Rather than glancing at an ability or spell and guessing what it does or how it interacts with something, just actually read the very short paragraph explaining what it does. For mechanical effects, this wording is chosen very deliberately. You can always make exceptions if you want, but exceptions made deliberately to enhance the game are much better than exceptions made accidentally that might unbalance the game.

If anyone plays a spellcaster, make sure they have access to full descriptions of what their spells do. If they say they want to cast a spell, ask what it does, and if they say they don't know, then *someone* look it up and read its entry out loud in full. It will explain if the effect just happens, requires an attack roll, or saving throw. It'll explain how far away the effect is, and how big it is, whether it affects a single target, multiple, everyone in an area, or if you can exclude people. It'll explain how long the effect lasts, if it's just instantaneous, or sticks around for a while, and whether the spellcaster has to maintain concentration to keep it going.

While I don't think it was [MENTION=61124]thorgrit[/MENTION]'s intent, I think this may create an impression that is inaccurate. While it is true that there aren't very many interacting subsystems, and that the spell descriptions are explicit about many things, the spell descriptions are not self-contained. Particularly with respect to targeting and how area effects 'spread', the general spellcasting rules are absolutely critical (assuming you want to play RAW), and these are in no way obvious from or implied by the individual spell descriptions. So be sure to read (and, preferably, memorize) the general spellcasting rules; they answer critical questions that will arise in play. (Not that the game will implode if you get something wrong in this regard, but there are really just a few important points, and it will save you having to explain and change things up later.)

Harzel

Adventurer
With respect to the action economy, one of you with 2e experience will have to chime in here, but did 2e have reactions that work the same way(s) that 5e reactions do? If not, that is probably worth a few minutes of focused attention, noting the following points:
  • Like bonus actions, you only get to take one if there is a circumstance that explicitly allows you to take one.
  • Once you take a reaction (of any kind), you can't take another (of any kind) until the start of your next turn.
  • The rules use the reaction mechanic in several different contexts, and it can operate slightly differently in each one. In particular, sometimes taking the reaction can (depending exactly how you read things) appear to retcon the circumstance that allowed the reaction to be taken in the first place. (Shield, I'm looking at you.)
  • On a related note, you might want to take a few minutes to try to absorb how the Ready action works, and what its implications and complications are. You will fail to anticipate everything, but at least you'll have a start on it.

Harzel

Adventurer
Good grief. Let me rephrase to be syntactically correct: "Read over the rules on backgrounds, you can create your own background. The ones listed are simply suggestions." Is that better?:erm:

Your syntax was fine, it was the semantics that were off. I certainly hope you are learning your lesson here...

(Sorry, just kidding. Couldn't resist.)

thorgrit

Explorer
While I don't think it was [MENTION=61124]thorgrit[/MENTION]'s intent, I think this may create an impression that is inaccurate. While it is true that there aren't very many interacting subsystems, and that the spell descriptions are explicit about many things, the spell descriptions are not self-contained. Particularly with respect to targeting and how area effects 'spread', the general spellcasting rules are absolutely critical (assuming you want to play RAW), and these are in no way obvious from or implied by the individual spell descriptions. So be sure to read (and, preferably, memorize) the general spellcasting rules; they answer critical questions that will arise in play. (Not that the game will implode if you get something wrong in this regard, but there are really just a few important points, and it will save you having to explain and change things up later.)

Yes, good catch! The exceptions-based rules design sort of "cascades" from general to more and more specific. There's the general way that combat works in the Basic Rules, then there's a spellcasting section that gives the necessary terminology and structure to how spells work, *then* there's the individual spells.

What I meant by no hidden subsystems is something like knowing some of the limits of a 3e rogue's Sneak Attack by reading the Construct section of the Monster Manual and some of the middle to high level Barbarian class abilities. That's not really a good example, as that demonstrates a character should learn how their abilities work in play, and surprise when it doesn't is baked into gameplay. I just can't think of something better off the top of my head.

Harzel

Adventurer
Finally, dont get hung up on hunting the right DC for tasks. One of the good references in the DMG suggests just using 10, 15, 20 with higher being no chance and easier being no roll. Use 15 for training **or** exceptional aptitude expected, 10 for neither, 20 for both. I often imagine "who set this up" and how did they fit on the training+aptitude+resources. Helps with quick and consistent rulings. Then let advantage and disadvantage play into more circumstantial modifiers.

Definitely a subjective matter, but IMO using DCs at least up to 25 is just fine. Even at level 1, most PCs can, with luck, achieve a 25 on checks that use their main stat and at which they are proficient. To me, that seems like a good representation for particularly difficult (but still doable) tasks.

S'mon

Legend
Definitely a subjective matter, but IMO using DCs at least up to 25 is just fine. Even at level 1, most PCs can, with luck, achieve a 25 on checks that use their main stat and at which they are proficient. To me, that seems like a good representation for particularly difficult (but still doable) tasks.

I use 25s (Very Difficult) and 30s (Nearly Impossible), but mostly at level 11-20. Occasionally there may be a DC 25 at low level for something incredibly difficult like an epically obscure bit of historical knowledge.

In my Tier IV Runelords game the STR 28 Barbarian-20 auto passes DC 28 Athletics checks, and the Rogue-17 has something like an auto 27 Reliable Talent on some stuff; I like telling them "Yeah that was a 25 so you auto-pass" - I like how this (a) makes them feel cool and (b) actually speeds up game play.

ThePlanarDM

First Post
TIP: Don't houserule THACO back into the game. :D

TIP: Old materials are very easy to convert into 5e, as 5e is very simple on the rules level. Since 2e published materials have tons of fluff (my favorite being Planescape), once you have a feel for how 5e works, you can just make up conversions on the spot. So re-use your favorite old stuff.

Remove ads